Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme or Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2009 3:20:34 AM

I currently have a Zalman CNPS 8700 NT, but am returning that due to just buying a random compatible HSF and not conducting research.

Right now, I'm opting for a new CPU HSF and after reading several reviews, I've decided to get either the Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme or the Xigmatek Dark Knight - S1283V.

Performance-wise they seem to be on par with each other. However, I lean towards the Zalman because my whole system is built around a blue LED/black theme and it has the PWN mate controller. The only thing stopping me is that the Xigmatek is 45 dollars and is a lot quieter, whereas the Zalman is 70 dollars and a lot more noisier. I'm wondering if the extra 25 dollars is worth it?

My build is:

Case: Antec 902 (I've changed it so that the bottom front intake fan is placed on the top of the middle fan, so it blows air directly to my RAM/CPU HSF)
Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (I want to OC around the 3.8ghz range)
RAM: Mushkin DDR3 RAM (996657) - This is just to clarify that I have a low-profile RAM and I'm using the outer slots on my MB.

Also, are there any better alternatives? Like the Scythe Mugen 2 or Sunbeam's Core-Contact Freezer? I would prefer it to have a blue LED with a black/nickel-plated finish to it, but other HSFs are acceptable as well. Thanks.
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2009 7:24:00 AM

Nevermind guys. I decided to get a Scythe Mugen 2 after reading the reviews on Newegg, x-bit labs, and frostytech on the Scythe Mugen 2 and Sunbeam CCF. Looks isn't everything and it just costs way too much to get something that looks good.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2009 9:22:13 PM

^Pretty good choice there. Imo, I would have gotten the CCF.
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2009 3:08:22 AM

They both perform almost equally, but I chose the Scythe Mugen 2 because of it's ability to mount more than one fan and also being able to mount the fans in any direction you want. My Antec 902 case has exhausts from both the top and back so it wouldn't matter, but I want to play around the directions and the push/pull with two fans.

The Mugen does seem to cool better on a higher overclocked CPU. (look at the 1300RPM one)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/scythe...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/sunbea...
m
l
!