Sell a Q6600 for a E6600?

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I have a Q6600, and it used to be on a Asus P5K-E P35 Board that overclocked like a dream to 3.6Ghz. I ended up wanted to SLI so I got a second 8800 GTS 512 and an Asus P5N-D 750i board. I can barely get it to 3Ghz with this board and it even runs hotter which I cant figure out..

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to sell the Q6600 for an E6600 to get a better overclock and overall better performance for Gaming. I use Vista 64, and I'm shooting for performance in Crysis. I don't think I use any games or programs that really take advantage of a quad core anyway....Would this switch be worthwhile?

Eh, the 750i is a horrible board, the 780i is ok though. All NVIDIA boards are handicapped when it comes to OC'ing though.

In short, a duo won't OC any better. Stick with the Quad, or get a higher clocked quad, and OC that.

Well the problem is the 750i chipset. Even if you switch out for a E6600 the OC will not be nearly as good as the P5K-E which has the P35 chipset. nVidias chipsets just are not as good as Intels especially when it comes to OCing.

So it probably wont be worth it as you will probably barely get over 3GHz with a E6600. I would say if you really want more performance get a E8400 instead. Its only in the sub $200 and it is stock 3GHz so you may be able to get a bit more juice out of it.

But for Crysis 3GHz should be fine with SLI.

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I'm actually having some problems with Crysis as it is. I dont understand how I can be running 2 8800 GTS 512's and a Q6600 and its still unplayable on very high. Adding the second card didn't do near as much as I thought it would have. All it did was make HIGH settings playable where before they where border line unplayable with one card. I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth spending the money on a new motherboard and gpu...

And I think people really exaggerate their performance when it comes to crysis... The other day this kid told me that he plays crysis in vista with a q6600 and 8800 GTS 512 on very high with a constant 30fps... I'm beginning to believe he is full of crap.

People do tend to exagerate. I myself have a Q6600 @ 3GHz and a HD2900Pro 1GB. I can play Crysis @ 1280x1024 all on Very High and yes on Vista (Vista doesn't change as much as you may think) and for the most part (up until the last level on the carrier) do get a nice 30FPS. But its not really the hardwares fault. Its more the games engine being horribly optimized. And the sad thing is they did make it better for Crysis Warhead but didn't release a patch for Crysis which is sad.

I say he switches back to his P5K-e, sells the 2 8800s and buys a HD4870 or 2 4850s. 1 HD4870 will be able to play Cryss at the settings he wants and average 30FPS easily. 2 4850s should result the same. A 4870X2 is shown to do about 50-60FPS.

Reason I say go back to the old mobo is because he will be able to re-OC his CPU to 3.6GHz and that will help boost his FPS as well.

G

well what res do you wanna play at?

4870 in xp pushes 35 fps at 1920 by 1200 on high... so theres no way it can do very high at over 30 fps

any lower res it might

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I thinks its the simple fact that he was expecting perfect scaling with SLI. That i'm afraid is a very rare case. Average performance by adding a second card are approx 30% which it appears you are getting.

As for overexaggerating performance figures in Crysis everybody is doing it. They havn't got a single clue. I swear some of these people don't even know where that graphics menu is let alone understand what fps means.