Sign in with
Your question

Anyone notice the Merger? (ATI & AMD)

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2008 3:25:11 AM

Does anyone really notice the difference in speeds of AMD's new Phenom products since they've merged with ATI? From what I understand the hyper-threading capabilities are much greater than that of Intel's core2duo and other new products :bounce: 
Am I just being misled-Crossfire capabilities have also become enhanced as the amount of information being processed at once is improving due to the greater hyper-threading abilities of the Mobo/CPU/GPU interface

Is it merely new technology being released?
The fact is Intel has better processors-I can admit that, but as an AMD enthusiast I need to hold on to the great hyper-threading capabilities of the AMD/ATI interface!!

More about : notice merger ati amd

a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 13, 2008 3:41:12 AM

What in the hell are you talking about? AMD does not use hyper-threading. Intel used it back in the old Pentium 4 days.

AMD uses the hyper trasnport which is the link between the cores and the PCIe and memory. While hyper transport is nice and fast its only advantage is faster link speeds to memory which only benefits the server market.

Once Nehalem comes out that advantage will be gone as it will have QPI, tri channel DDR3 and a 192bit memory controler on the CPU as compared to the 128bit memory controller on Phenoms.

Sure in multithreading a Phenom is better than a C2D but not better than a C2Q.

the thing is that even on a FSB Crossfire does not saturate the bus at all, most games and apps only take advantage of 2 cores at most and in the end Spider is just a marketing gimick nothing eelse. You will not see any benefit from having a AMD mobo and COU and a ATI GPU. Its the same no matter what CPU you choose.
October 13, 2008 3:45:27 AM

33mikeg said:
Does anyone really notice the difference in speeds of AMD's new Phenom products since they've merged with ATI? From what I understand the hyper-threading capabilities are much greater than that of Intel's core2duo and other new products :bounce: 
Am I just being misled-Crossfire capabilities have also become enhanced as the amount of information being processed at once is improving due to the greater hyper-threading abilities of the Mobo/CPU/GPU interface

Is it merely new technology being released?
The fact is Intel has better processors-I can admit that, but as an AMD enthusiast I need to hold on to the great hyper-threading capabilities of the AMD/ATI interface!!

What Jim said is correct and unfortunately yes you have been mislead.

Best,

3Ball
Related resources
October 13, 2008 3:46:41 AM

I think the biggest thing that will come out of the merger is Fusion. If you haven't heard, basically they want to take a Phenom (likely at 45nm by then), and instead of having 4 processing cores, replace two of them with GPU cores. I see that as being a major thing that can come out of it. The other thing you have to remember, is even though tech moves very fast, the design of a new architecture takes years, so we probably won't see much out of the merger for a little while. I think Fusion is supposed to release near the end of 2009.
October 13, 2008 4:30:53 AM

what i've notice with their merger at this point in time, is what ATI did with the pricing of their highend cards 4800 series.
it was like AMD processor kind of pricing.
amd fans get mad at me, even if 4800 series is slower compared to GTX, i still prefer AMD/ATI for price/performance.

Fusion is really interesting, since it lower costs so much even if the performance won't come close with a discrete video solution.
October 13, 2008 4:43:39 AM

didn't AMD announce that fusion was just going to be a software app that shuts down useless processes like manufacturer junk thats pre-installed?

i remember there being an article and a thread on it on THG.
October 13, 2008 4:54:47 AM

Thats one thing people are getting confused about. Fusion is the name of their new overclocking software/program that is for the CPU, GPU and even the SB/NB I think? It is/was also the name of their CPU/GPU hybrid chip. I think the actual chip is Bulldozer....or Falcon. One or the other. Basically a CPU with GPU cores....SSE5....and extremely low TDP.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 13, 2008 6:38:03 AM

teh_boxzor said:
didn't AMD announce that fusion was just going to be a software app that shuts down useless processes like manufacturer junk thats pre-installed?

i remember there being an article and a thread on it on THG.

Its a bit more than that. The software is part of it and just to start. Nothing big really.

spathotan said:
Thats one thing people are getting confused about. Fusion is the name of their new overclocking software/program that is for the CPU, GPU and even the SB/NB I think? It is/was also the name of their CPU/GPU hybrid chip. I think the actual chip is Bulldozer....or Falcon. One or the other. Basically a CPU with GPU cores....SSE5....and extremely low TDP.

This is the plan at least. But plans don't always go the way they are set as we have seen with Intels Prescott and AMDs Phenom.
October 13, 2008 11:20:39 AM

I never heard anything about AMD and hyperthreading. The only thing I ever heard was a rumor NOT started by AMD, but started my the Inq saying that AMD was going to invent a "reverse hyperthreading", a way for a thread to be broken down and run on two processors.

Never proved to be even remotely true.

Perhaps you are mixing up "hyperthreading" with "hypertransport". Hypertranspor is the name for the connections between stuff (Processor to processor, processor to memory) on AMD mobos.
a c 110 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 13, 2008 12:37:17 PM

AMD ""Fusion Software"" is a single-click application for gaming which shuts down Win background services and OCs video, cpu, etc. I think there is a decent review article about it over at AT.

Fusion hardware incorporates a single gpu core on the cpu die to take advantage of superior parallel processing - thus the need for the new SSE5 instructions. I don't believe it's intent is to replace IGP or discreet grapics but I guess anything would be possible with something like handheld devices.

Or Fusion could be a Ford ... or a razor - LOL

I'd like to think the marketing department has a long-term plan in all this but we all know how that has worked for AMD.

As far as the DAAMIT merger the biggest leap has been on the chipset side - especially now that sb750 has rolled. nVidia is getting the 'squeeze' on both the video and chipset side of the business, now ...
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2008 2:38:46 PM

Wow ... lucky I got in last so there is nothing more to say technical.

I think the OP is taking the p!ss.

C'mon ... anyone with an avatar (sorry Aaardvark) like that can't be taken seriously ... and should not be allowed within 20 km of the US's big red button. Seriously she is scaring other countries ... the ones on your side.

Our PM might speak Chinese but at least he likes strippers ... so you know he is ok.

I heard Obama was a closet Overclocker ... just a rumour mind you.

I thought I saw some Arctic Silver on his sleeve at the last public address.

I am sorry but I am too tired to go any more off topic ... I hope thislittle bit helps end / start your day.

October 13, 2008 3:07:40 PM

You're right, Reynod, I saw that AS too. Wonder how fast his rig is.....
October 13, 2008 3:28:41 PM

Reynod said:
C'mon ... anyone with an avatar (sorry Aaardvark) like that can't be taken seriously ... and should not be allowed within 20 km of the US's big red button. Seriously she is scaring other countries ... the ones on your side.

Wow, something we can wholeheartdly agree on all day long.

Sarah Palin is rather well read though, she actually reads ALL newspapers and magazines!

October 13, 2008 3:35:09 PM

There's a store nearby selling tee shirts with her picture and the letters VPILF. ;) 
a c 110 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 13, 2008 3:59:06 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Wow, something we can wholeheartdly agree on all day long.

Sarah Palin is rather well read though, she actually reads ALL newspapers and magazines!

Well, bless your little heart. You betcha, Joe Six-Pack (wink wink @ you big boy)

October 13, 2008 5:56:01 PM

uguv said:
There's a store nearby selling tee shirts with her picture and the letters VPILF. ;) 

I'd like to see VPILF on an Obama ad somewhere with a little pic of her. It'd be awesome.
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2008 1:02:29 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I never heard anything about AMD and hyperthreading. The only thing I ever heard was a rumor NOT started by AMD, but started my the Inq saying that AMD was going to invent a "reverse hyperthreading", a way for a thread to be broken down and run on two processors.

Never proved to be even remotely true.

Perhaps you are mixing up "hyperthreading" with "hypertransport". Hypertranspor is the name for the connections between stuff (Processor to processor, processor to memory) on AMD mobos.

Reverse Hyperthreading all the invention of Theo "THE TOOL" Valich. Oh and by the way Sarah Palin is the biggest political Idiot I have seen since W.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 14, 2008 2:52:12 AM

^theo is a tool. Hehe.

And politics wise, I have to disaree. Bush is smarter than she is. But either way the election goes this year we lose.
October 14, 2008 4:55:52 AM

Oh, we always lose, it usually comes down to "how much"? (Though I wish they would just socialize healthcare and get it over with.)
October 14, 2008 5:22:43 AM

well bill clinton actually made everything better i dont think we lost there. plus he scored a fat chick.

i think thats a win-win =]

like everyone says. how do you clean up after a bush presidency? with a clinton.
!