Whats faster?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
i have just unlocked the 4th core of my 720, whats faster? running 3 cores at 3.8 ghz? or running 4 cores at 3.4ghz? i know running the 4 at 3.4 overall has more processor power, but for gaming and general purpose, which would benefit me more? system is stable with both specs, and temps are both 40 at idle

Depends on whether or not the game can use more than 3 cores. I doubt that you see any difference in real world performance either way. If you could, you wouldn't be here asking us when you have the computer sitting right in front of YOU.

Well put... ;)

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
i have ran various benchmarks and used premiere pro cs4 for encoding and compared both at great length, i have the pc in front of me yes and both show relatively similar results, but if i could find the difference out for myself i wouldnt be here asking

I'm sorry to appear to be bashing you because I'm not. Honestly, you have answered your own question by saying you got similar results with all of your own testing.

What jtpublisher is saying is if you can't see an actual real world difference aside from "benchmarks" then its obvious it's no real benefit one way over the other.

There's so many instances where one way would be more of a benefit over the other. If you game as it appears you do then I would go with 3 cores oc'd to 3.8. As most users that went the way of the E8500 chose to overclock and play with less cores and a higher oc vs the Q6600 @ 2.4 stock oc'd to lets say 3.6 ~ 3.8. You could go over 4.0 with the E8500 and for gaming most everyone argued the benefit of the E8500 was better for gaming for that reason alone so IMO that same rule applies to your situation.

Set it up one way and run it for a week or two then switch over the other way and run it that way for another week or two. Switch back again if you need further real world testing until you decide it doesn't matter either way. If you can see that it does then problem solved...

Yes, I didn't want to seem rude, but yeah, if you have the rig, and you have the ability to run the benchmarks, do what you do on your own PC, you are far better to answer your own question than someone who might use their PC in an entirely different manner. Their results or opinions may not work well for you at all!