Sign in with
Your question

Overclocked Core i7 975 (on air)

Last response: in Overclocking
September 23, 2009 11:41:02 AM

Hey peeps, I'm an overclock nab

Did some modest overclocking on my system. Please check it out and let me know if it's fine or if I should do something different (bus speed, voltages, memory, etc)

September 23, 2009 12:28:56 PM

Temps are fine. 43-44 idle

I'm wondering what can be done to push it more? Do I need to increase the Bus Speed?
September 23, 2009 2:35:43 PM

Test your max BCLK with your Multiplier set to 12. You might want to try a 166 BCLK and Multiplier increases, then 200 BCLK and Multiplier increases. Then when you find the right mark, just up the BCLK a little more instead of the Multiplier.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2009 11:18:08 PM

it all looks good, but if you wanted more speed id recommend a better cooler and cheaper cpu then you can run it alot faster and if it breaks meh you still got cash in bank to replace it, whats the load temps as there the ones to look out for
September 24, 2009 1:55:11 AM

it would be great do a run of superpi 1.5 - 1M.

its a little 10second benchmark program. I would love to see your results and how they compare to my rig.

cheers
Ben
September 24, 2009 9:13:30 AM

Anyway, here's what I ended up with:

High temps (80'c) are recorded after CINEBENCH bench.
Keep in mind that my ambient room temperatureis pretty hot ~30'C

Memory is Mushkin DDR3 1600Mhz (998691) at 1.59V
September 24, 2009 11:49:41 AM

cheers. yeah you really dont want it to be over 75-80max when maximum stress testing if you are planning on leaving it like that permanently.

try running "prime95" its the standard stress testing program. develops high heat on the cpu and will test if the overclock is stable.

are you running the stock cooler still?

if so spend the extra for an aftermarket cooler and you will get those temps down a good 15-20degs

if you are just doing it for benchmarking you should be able to squeeze a fair bit more out of it.

if not then you might have to back it off a little depending on cooling and how many volts it takes to be prime stable. looks good so far.

when you keep tinkering run superpi again its great to see results for your hard work
September 24, 2009 1:32:23 PM

slickncghia said:

are you running the stock cooler still?

Actually, it's not a stock cooler.

I have a Zalman CNPS10x. The fan on it has like 4 speed modes. The funny thing is, none of them make a difference. I could be running it top speed (which makes it really loud) or running it on lowest, and it wouldn't make any difference (2-3 degrees only).

Must be my ambient room temperature, which is always high. When i have the AC on, the temps drop significantly.
And the turned up volts and overclocking doesn't help either, ofc.
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2009 1:55:45 PM

Too Hot.

To test your case, take off the side and see if the temps drop after doing so. If there is a significant difference, then you need to improve the case airflow. Bundle all the cables and tie them out of the way. Good Push pull, with an emphasis on pushing air into the case, is essential. Having too much pull will create airflow along the sides of the case (air moving in absolute straightest line to get to the exhaust fans) and too much pass through. Good air cooling comes from a little bit of turbulence, and sufficient exhaust area to vacate the intake pressure.

Although, it is entirely possible that you just need to re-seat the HSF. Did you use the thermal paste it came with, or drop 5-10 bucks on Arctic Silver 5 or anything of the like? Temps really are a house of cards, and not having the right support in one area can bring the whole structure down.

Considering the price of the CPU, all of the above (and more, I am sure others will tell you) should be done to maximize its performance, and longevity.
September 24, 2009 5:10:58 PM

Quote:
Just to compare. I have 8 fans in my CM Stacker case :lol: 

:<
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2009 3:42:55 PM

your high temps come with the fast that you are oc'ing a 130w cpu even with a mild oc you can hit 200w and thats hard for a air cooler to keep cool
September 25, 2009 7:23:34 PM

richardscott said:
your high temps come with the fast that you are oc'ing a 130w cpu even with a mild oc you can hit 200w and thats hard for a air cooler to keep cool

so what are you saying? an i7 920 would be running cooler at 4.2 Ghz ?
September 25, 2009 8:16:32 PM

nope, the i7-920 is also a 130w TDP, and it would actually be higher since you have to go from 2.66 instead of 3.33
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2009 6:25:21 AM

no but a water cooled i7-920 could be alot faster
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2009 6:26:59 AM

sorry forgot to mention i would always bios oc not in windows
September 26, 2009 7:39:47 PM

richardscott said:
no but a water cooled i7-920 could be alot faster

and i figure 975 would be even faster
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2009 8:35:08 PM

yes but only under extreme condition's ie LN2 or a cascade, for day to day use a non extreme cpu is fine especially if its oc'd
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2009 10:11:36 PM

^+1. +1 for NOT OCIng in Windows.
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2009 1:28:53 AM

Guys,

Let's not speculate about processor temperatures. For everyone's benefit, I am once again posting the following information. My objective is to assure that enthusiasts understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options.

From Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=...

All Core i7 9xx variants:

Vcore Max 1.375v
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core...

"Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ... "

The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) not Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to determine the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood Thermal Specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then processor degradation becomes a concern, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3...

Prime95 Small FFT's is the Standard for processor thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload which yields steady-state temperatures, whereas Blend is a memory cyclic workload which yields fluctuating processor temperatures. Small FFT's will reach 97% thermal saturation within 7 to 8 minutes, so a 10 minute test is adequate. Thermal testing should be conducted as close as possible to 22c (72f) Standard ambient, with case covers removed, the computer clear of any desk enclosures, and all fans at 100% RPM to eliminate cooling variables, and to produce consistent and repeatable results for comparisons. If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. CPU temperature and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide.

OCCT and Burn Test (reminiscent of TAT) use LinPack, which shows thermal signatures that resemble the ups and downs of a bad day on the stock market, and cycle between light workloads, through test segments which spray all processor registers with all one's, (100% thermal load, which equates to 115% workload), and can push an overclocked i7 at Vcore Max 1.375 with HT enabled, right on past Tcase Max to ring the Tjunction Max bell like a fire alarm! :o 

Since there are very few applications or games that will spike, let alone sustain processor workloads beyond 70% to 85%, utilities which load all registers with all one's are not representative of real-world computing. While these utilities are certainly very useful for stability testing, they are inappropriate for thermal testing. The 3DMark benches are excellent for stability testing, as are applications for ripping and encoding.

The best anaolgy to make sense of CPU temperature and Core temperature is to compare them to a 4 cylinder car that has 5 temperature guages; 4 of the 5 guages are cyclinder head temperatures (closest to the heat source), and the 5th guage is the overall engine temperature, which is 5c lower than the other 4 guages, and is the temperature guage with which we're all familiar. We know that red-line for the i7 9xx is 68c on the engine temp guage (Tcase Max) and 73c on the cylinder head temp guages (Tjunction), but if we push the engine too hard and peg all the guages, (95c Tcase overtemp / 100c Tjunction Max) then the engine will shut down.

If you'd like to learn more about processor temperatures, then just click on the link in my signature.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: 
!