mfs1970

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I am going to build a prototype system to sell online. I may want to do this part time from home just to make a few extra bucks. I only want to deal in high end gear so I would like to custom wire the power supply. I want to run each connection for each drive bay individually to achieve the ultimate in clutter free construction. I do have a few questions before I attempt this first build.

1.) Is there a special kind of wire used in the leads from a power supply to devices?

2.) Where can I purchase the correct wiring to tackle this project. Spools of various colors would be ideal.

3.) What would you suggest as a source for dressing up the custom wiring? Things like braided wire covering, UV reactive braiding, etc.

I do want this mod to be permanent and professional, so the wires would be cut, cleaned, soldered and covered in shrink wrap then dressed with braided covers. unless you know of a better method? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

americanbrian

Distinguished
You had best be careful. There are LOTS of laws regarding wiring electrical devices. Also, modular power supplies already exist. I have one. It has sockets on the PSU and you only connect the ones you need.

You may find that people that buy high end systems want the flexibility to add/remove devices that would require a power feed. So how will this be accomodated in your design?

To answer some questions directly.

1. Not particularly. You must ensure that the gauge of wire used is rated to carry the amps you intend that wire to push. Also I would recommend smoke free insulation is used.

2. Anixter is a large supplier of wiring and cabling. Clynder does tri-rated wiring of all colours and gauges as well.

3. I have plain black braided on my PSU which I like.

Good Luck, but do not leave yourself open to liability using the wrong stuff. I am an engineer so I know well that the rules and reg's can be complicated. I would buy a copy of your local standards (USA, UK, AUS etc.)
They cost a bit but less than getting sued. You may want to run your design past an electrical consultant for a fee and get them to certify it. That way you have shown due diligence.

Spools of electrical wiring in just about any gauge are available at hardware stores.

However, I must inform you that there is no such thing as the ultimate in clutter free construction. You might have to settle for good cable management which will mean hiding all those pretty cables between the motherboard tray and the right side case panel.

Generally speaking power supplies do not have enough ports to run individuals wires to each drive bay. For a high end case you would need a psu with 12 ports to do what you want. Recently there was a thread about this here at THG. There are two or three manufacturers that will custom build a psu for a very hefty price.

You'll also have to consider all the data cables, fan cables, front panel i/o cables, audio cables, video cables, etc. etc.. There are quite a few cables inside a case.

BTW - First braided covers, then heat-shrink tubing.

mfs1970,

I just read americanbrian's post. Do you just want to make pretty wires to run from a modular psu to different devices or do you want to custom build a psu? I use Corsair modular power supplies for builds.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Yup use modular. If the PSU blows, even if not from your wireing, and it burns down a house or electricutes someone, you will be sued and loose everything you own.

I know its just for a hobby, but there are laws for consumers. You need to have a limited liability company, and it costs about $200 to get it set up.

Your better off buying a case that has places to hide, and route the wires, other then chopping on the PSU. If it was for yourself, I would say go for it.