Your question
Solved

Dell issued XP upgrade

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 29, 2010 2:37:47 AM

I need some advice. I have an old Dell issued Windows XP CD that came with my original PC around 5 years ago.It seems I can use it to reinstall XP on other Dell Pc's I own so right now I have 3 PC's running XP installed from the same disc all with validation for each PC. I never had a problem with validation as I assume once the OS recognized a Dell system it auto validated. If I was to use Windows 7 upgrade three pack would it work on all 3 XP PC's or would it stop working after the first PC is upgraded and Microsoft sees that the same serial # XP is being used on more than 1 PC. Do you think because it validated on all 3 I could upgrade all 3 to Windows 7. Thanks

More about : dell issued upgrade

December 29, 2010 4:14:17 AM

I think that windows 7 will activate once by disk, and it might activate once by phone (in addition to the disk, if denied an internet connection), but not 3 times...
and it is also better to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.
m
l
December 29, 2010 11:46:22 AM

I am planning to buy the Windows 7 CD that comes with 3 licenses but it states you must first have a valid Windows operating system already on your PC to use the upgrade. I know all the XP PC's require a clean install but that is not a problem as long as the XP is a valid microsoft edition. Technically all 3 PC's have a valid XP system but they were all installed from the same CD. As long as I use the original serial Windows XP# from each PC using the same install disc for all 3 it should not matter even thought the actual disc was for a specific DEll model but it seems to install on any PC as long as it is a dell. I tried installing on other brands and it did not work. I only had to manually install the specific drivers for each of the Dell PC's as as the CD only contains the drivers for the original PC model. I am just hoping Microsoft will consider each PC as having an original Windows O/S
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 7:17:58 PM

Nothing to be concerned about... but if it asks, you have an individual product key on your case anyway. The Dell discs aren't different in any way from computer to computer as long as its the same version of Windows. (SP 1, SP 2, SP 3). Dell doesn't make individual CDs for each computer, it's all from one master image.
m
l
December 30, 2010 11:23:32 PM

Thanks that pretty much clears it up except for one more question if you do not mind. One of the dells was an old business laptop that had XP professional on it. I uninstalled XP Professional because I could not get passed or figure out the pass word at the time. Even resetting the CMOS did'nt work so I took a gamble, erased the original 40G hard drive and tried installing XP Home from the aforementioned CD and it worked without prompting for a key code. Since then I have istalled XP Home on a 120G hard drive and know currently am using that in the laptop. When I try to upgrade this particular PC and Microsoft asks for the key code it will be looking for XP Professional, correct? Will they realize it is not the same version of XP and not allow the upgrade or should it upgrade just by seeing it is a version of XP?
m
l

Best solution

December 31, 2010 6:14:30 AM

It won't matter... as far as Windows concerned, it's a Dell license installed on a Dell PC... so you should be fine.
December 31, 2010 7:41:12 AM

Jackietools said:
........Technically all 3 PC's have a valid XP system but they were all installed from the same CD. As long as I use the original serial Windows XP# from each PC using the same install disc for all 3 it should not matter even thought the actual disc was for a specific DEll model but it seems to install on any PC as long as it is a dell. I tried installing on other brands and it did not work. I only had to manually install the specific drivers for each of the Dell PC's as as the CD only contains the drivers for the original PC model. I am just hoping Microsoft will consider each PC as having an original Windows O/S

Like Zoron said, it will.

The reason you can use any Dell cd to install on any Dell with the same OS is that big OEM's like dell use System Locked Pre-installation. Its a bios table, a certificate and a key which combine to activate windows offline. Try to install on a machine other than a dell, and it wont activate because it would not have the bios table present in the dell bios.

As a result, all dell machines with the same OS will have the same key from the factory. Whether you used the same cd or not.
m
l
December 31, 2010 11:18:23 AM

Best answer selected by Jackietools.
m
l
!