Sign in with
Your question

How can an employee tell if company is monitoring wireless traffic

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 25, 2009 10:44:48 PM

I know our company is monitoring the workstations (Desktops) connected to the WAN. They recently installed a program called "LogMeIn". What I'm unsure about whether they are able to monitor traffic on an unsecured wireless network setup at our outlying workstation and if they are able then how could the employee tell and or block it?

I'm pretty much a novice at this forum posting thing so if this question is to elementary for the crowd could someone suggest a more appropriate website to post it?

Thanks,

Arcman
April 21, 2011 2:20:25 PM

Arcman_85 said:
I know our company is monitoring the workstations (Desktops) connected to the WAN. They recently installed a program called "LogMeIn". What I'm unsure about whether they are able to monitor traffic on an unsecured wireless network setup at our outlying workstation and if they are able then how could the employee tell and or block it?

I'm pretty much a novice at this forum posting thing so if this question is to elementary for the crowd could someone suggest a more appropriate website to post it?

Thanks,

Arcman

This blog has a comparison of software for monitoring screenshots.
Desktop monitoring software has a capture screenshots from your desktop activities, This can keep track all the desktops in your network and can also monitor and record how much time you spent on a certain website
m
l
September 1, 2011 10:38:48 PM

Arcman_85 said:

Thanks,

Arcman

I don't know for what reasons you want to hide from your company's monitoring. If your company clearly stated in the contract about the monitoring system they have, i think you should just forget about it.

Most large company have powerful monitoring tools just like my company. Although, we have this monitoring tools, it's not like we will sit there all day to see what our employees are up to. Unless their activities causes a congestion through out the network, then we will investigate it and that's when those monitoring tools come in handy. It helps us track what the employee has been doing the whole time.

Thus, if you are not upto something weird, then why bother about blocking those monitoring tools. If you block, IT admin will notice right away; and it will kinda sell you out at the same time.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 1:59:29 PM

As a side note, LogMeIn is not a monitoring tool. It is a remote support tool.

As others have stated, it is generally company policy to monitor all network traffic, wired and wireless. In that case, there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. This sounds more like a question about circumventing controls and security measures. Sorry.
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:24:02 PM

I would have to agree, if they have a monitoring system and block certain websites there isn't much you can do about it. Anything using that network (wired or wireless) would usually have the same restrictions. For example if you are accessing the internet at my work on your Iphone, the same sites are blocked as if you tried them on your desktop.

Are there ways to get to those blocked sites anyway? Yes, but I'm not about to explain how as i would think that would be frowned upon here.
m
l
!