Monitor - Refusing Native Resolution

CorruptedSanity

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I just bought a Samsung 2493HM monitor to replace my Samsung 226bw.

I cant get it to its native resolution of 1920 x 1200.
When I try to set it to that resolution, it goes all the way down to 800x640.

At first, I disconnected the DVI & power cable from the 226bw and connected the new monitor to those same cables because the DVI is the same and the power cable also looked identical. No harm using the older power cable, especially sinced its encased in a cable-management thingy.

Any way, there was no screen, so I restarted the computer and saw the BIOS screen and the Windows XP loading screen, but nothing after that. I have my LCD TV hooked up to my graphics card too (2 DVI slots), so I guessed I needed to install the drivers. But popping in the Samsung Drivers CD gave me nothing. It would not show up. I thought the CD was busted so I popped it into my laptop, but it worked! So I downloaded the drivers from samsung.com and selected the 2493HM Digital drivers and installed, then playing around in Nvidia control panel, I got the monitor to work, but not on its native resoltion. The highest I can get it to is 1920 x 1080, coincidentally its a full HD monitor.

Any idea why their driver CD wont work and why I cant get it to its native resolution?

I searched and found a similar problem.

But do I change aspect ratio from 16:9 to 16:10 on the screen OSD or nvidia?

Thanks
Corsair XMS2 DHX twin pack - 2x2gb @ 800mhz
Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
GigaByte Nvidia 8600GT 512 video card
Seagate 100 GB Sata 8mb HD
Seagate 320 GB Sata 8mb HD

1394B (aka Firewire 800) PCI card

TRENDING THREADS