New Graphic card not booting up - can't connect one of the power cable

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Decided to use a Sapphire ATI Radeon x1650 with my sony pcv-rz504.

I just plugged it in and connected to the power but the screen is not getting any signal.

It should have enough power (350W, 18A on the 12V rail).

The thing that might be wrong is the I can't find where to plug the connector which is meant to go into the hard-drive (according to the sticker).

There is already something which goes from the middle connector (GP) into the hard-drive but it won't budge out from where it is.

Any help?

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
theres absolutely nothing that goes from a video card to a hardrive. That card should have a 6 pin PCI-E power connetor or maybe a 4pin molex on the inside thats it. Externally it should have 1 maybe 2 DVI connetors and S-video for TV hookup. What your asking makes no sense at all. Need better clarified information to help you any further.

You had me scratching my head for a min until I refreshed the page.
Don't plug or unplug anything to/from the hard drives.
Locate a spare plug like the one below (probably will be white).
tutorial-4pin_fdd_power_conn.jpg

It can only be inserted one way.
If it gives you resistance, flip it over and try again.
After installing the power, plug your monitor into your cards VGA output.
On your first boot, go into the BIOS and either disable the integrated graphics (preferred) or if you can not, set the shared memory to it's minimum setting.
After booting into windows, cancel all the auto detection driver BS, download and install the drivers from ATI Here.

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
To outlw I plugged that in 9000years ago so it's not that.

And evongugg that is what came with the package. What do I do with the other connections,just leave it flapping?

And it says 350W is recommended, which I have, so :S

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Problem still stands unfortunately - screen staying black on boot up.

A 350W with 18A on the 12V should be enough for an ATI x1650 surely?

Kari

Splendid
x1650 uses something like 40 to 50 watts. so even 200w power supply would work just fine provided that the rest of the system isnt hogging power in gigantic amounts...
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p=0

and there is nothing to be connected to a hard drive from a graphics card. Both of them can use similar molex power connectors, but that power is coming from the power supply and going to the devices independently of each other.

and btw clean up your case, it's dusty :p

dscf0089xg0.jpg

Don't worry about the plug you are holding in the picture above.
Just tuck it somewhere out of view and leave it.
In your situation, it is unnecessary.

Looking at the above picture, everything is in it's proper place.
A few things to check.

Is the AGP port filled with dust?
If so, you may not have a good connection to the card.

Is the GPU fully seated in the AGP slot?
It is pretty easy to mount the card with the front or the back slightly raised and not connected.
Remove and remount it just to be sure.

Did you remember to plug the VGA cable into the output from your new card?
Never can be to sure ;)

Wolfshadw

Titan
spriah -

Here's the deal with that power connector. Most older systems (and power supplies) only come with one 4-pin floppy drive power connector. Not all systems have an extra 4 pin molex power connector (for your hard drives). Your graphics card requires a 4-pin floppy drive power connector, so they provided you with a 4-pin molex extension cable with a spliced in 4-pin floppy power connector.

In case you did not have an extra 4-pin molex connector, you would unplug the power connector to the hard drive and plug it into provided cable. You would then connect the 4-pin floppy connector to your graphics card and the 4-pin molex extension back into your hard drive.

-Wolf sends

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Mkay. Im translating that as the extra dangle should just dangle.

So if that's ruled out,any other reasons why it might not be working?

My god, (banging my head against the wall) I don't know how in the world he ever got the new graphic card installed in the first place.
Yes, they gave you an adapter that taps into the power supply wiring to your hard drive.

Did you have on-board graphics, or are you replacing an older AGP card?

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
"My god, (banging my head against the wall) I don't know how in the world he ever got the new graphic card installed in the first place."