Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Overclocking failed... on ASUS P5B Premium & Q6600@2.4Ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2009 3:46:33 PM

Spec:
Windows XP SP3 (used for home music production)
ASUS P5B Premium Mobo
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.4 Ghz (I believe it was the G0 revision of this CPU)
2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz, 5-5-5-18, 1.8v ver 3.4
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS OC

Can anyone offer any advice on OCing this setup? I'm a Noob to OCing, read through loads of tutorials putting things into practice, but got nowhere. This mobo comes with AI Suite, which includes "AI NOS" (ASUS Non-delay Overclocking System) ("AI NOS will monitor CPU demands and o verclock the system automatically" - my arse does it, it just crashes the PC when stress tested) and "AI Booster" ("A utility to do overclocking" I.E. a fancy windows GUI for altering the BIOS settings)

I've spent the last 3 days trying to get this to play nice, i'm familiar with the BIOS setings (not sure about the Vcore settings i'd need though). :fou: 

i'm hoping to OC this CPU up to Max 3.4Ghz, although less will be ok. If this is unrealistic, then someone please let me know! The supplied kit only OC's up to an extra 20% (2.8Ghz), well it would if it worked... :lol: 

I've frequently had "overclocking failed!F1 to enter setup... F2 to load defaults" appear after crashed attempts to Boot, usually after a POST failure.

I followed through GRAYSKY's how to OC Thread on here, made sense etc, just didn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure i'm not doing something, or doing something wrong, but just don't know what. Surely leaveing the VCore on AUTO initially should be ok?

Any help would be appreciated, general abuse would probably be taken with a chuckle too! :sol: 

Thanks PPL
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 4:55:07 PM

Maybe re-read the overclocking guide, then go for a more modest overclock to say 2.8 to 3.2.

Things to remember is... A good majority of the failed overclocks are ram related. People tend to forget about the ram as they "jack up" their system. Keep the ram within spec or even slower than spec, until you reach where you want to be with the cpu/fsb.
September 24, 2009 4:55:57 PM

I've since managed to get the CPU to stabalize at 2.66Ghz, (295*9), any more than than that results in GPU failure & lots of crashes.
3.4Ghz OC of a 2.4Ghz CPU is obviously a little enthusiastic ;-)
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 4:57:22 PM

Gpu failure? What power supply do you have?
September 24, 2009 5:01:06 PM

GPU is Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS OC 320Mb on PCIe x16 port on mobo
When i say failure - windows booted in 4 colour mode 640x480 (instead of 32bit 1440x900 or whatever) & i was unable to change the settings.
GPU wasn't happy... ;-)
PCIe freq is set at 100, RAM is set to the 5-5-5-18 & 1.8v as is spec'd
September 24, 2009 5:14:03 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Gpu failure? What power supply do you have?

Opps - misread that. PSU is Corsair HX620w Modular Power Supply. Very easy to use, just as well really... ;-)
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 5:19:59 PM

You got the funky stuff happening because of a bad overclock. Unplug your psu, or flick the switch on the back, wait 30 seconds, then try to boot into bios again. I would recommend running your ram under specs until you figure out the problem. Just run them on a 1:1 ratio for now.
September 24, 2009 5:40:20 PM

sportsfanboy said:
You got the funky stuff happening because of a bad overclock. Unplug your psu, or flick the switch on the back, wait 30 seconds, then try to boot into bios again. I would recommend running your ram under specs until you figure out the problem. Just run them on a 1:1 ratio for now.

How'd you mean run the RAM at a 1:1 ratio? I haven't checked what happens if I leave the RAM speeds on AUTO (or rather i'll turn off the option for entering the RAM speeds).
If the RAM is spec'd at 5-5-5-18 to run at less than this i'd need to input say 6-6-6-19 (for sake of argument).

I've become quite good at rebooting the BIOS... :lol: 

Cheers for your help :) 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 5:43:34 PM

Go manual with the dram Settings, then what ever your fsb is, set the ram to double that. So if your FSB is 295, you will set the ram up as ddr2 590 for 1:1
September 24, 2009 7:50:50 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Go manual with the dram Settings, then what ever your fsb is, set the ram to double that. So if your FSB is 295, you will set the ram up as ddr2 590 for 1:1

Aaha! Got it :-) trying that now, looking like it's working so far too :-) *fingers crossed*
September 24, 2009 7:57:04 PM

sportsfanboy said:

Thanks loads fella! that worked nicely at 300Mhz (for 2.7Ghz) now i'll slowly work up the scale to see how fast I can take it before it starts falling over again.

I'd been leaving the RAM frequency at it's start point of 800Mhz, so increasing the FSB Frequency adds a little to the RAM freq each time. quickly putting it out of designed range. must have missed that bit in the walk through. That means the (theoritical) limit for OCing this CPU is 400Mhz, at 1:1 ratio.

Well done mate, sorted me out a treat :D 
September 24, 2009 8:07:37 PM

Well by slowly upping the gain, ok so i didn't bother, after 300 was stable, i went in with FSB 400Mhz so RAM now at it's designed 800Mhz, so now i have a stable windows xp idling at 2.4Ghz (400*6) which boosts itself to 3.6Ghz!!! (400*9) Sweeeeet! With it sitting at 1:1 ratio, the RAM running at it's designed speed, so it shouldn't have much trouble. apart from over heating etc, but i have sufficient cooling i reckon :-)
Thanks again :) 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 8:13:15 PM

Hey congrats but what are you temps and votages at, lol

You don't want to cook your parts, are you voltages on auto?
September 24, 2009 8:26:48 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Hey congrats but what are you temps and votages at, lol

You don't want to cook your parts, are you voltages on auto?

The CPU went up to about 70degrees, Vcore was about 1.5v, the voltages are on Auto. Running solid :-) just rebooted to save the OC profile, and to turn the speed down a little for a less agressive profile.

Is it worth checking out the VCore on CPU-Z & entering it in BIOS, or is Auto ok?

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 8:45:00 PM

Try to learn how to set all your voltages manually. You will save power and more importantly, the parts your overclocking. 1.5 is the max rated for that chip. So at idle in CPU-z you should stay under that value. As for the other voltages, I would do some reading on it. And try to do what the last poster said and test for stability, or you will quickly have a corrupt copy of XP installed.
September 24, 2009 8:52:26 PM

Quote:
1.5v?? It wont last long at that. I'd shoot for 3.2 and be happy. Just because its running doesn't mean its stable. Have you tested it with prime95??

Mine will only go 3.15 at 1.35v. 350x9. I've tried 10x and 8x multiplier and more voltage but she just blue screens at 3.2. Prime95 stable at 3.15 and crash free for 2 months now.

My max temps are 62c in a 84f room at 100% load using prime.
The VID (voltage ID) is whats important. If you have a low VID your processor will likely overclock better than mine. Mine has 1.325 VID, I've seen the same GO's with as low as 1.24 VID.

I know I'm not motherboard or ram limited because I previously had my 1.86 dual core at 3.45 with the same setup. I just have a high VID.

Testing with Prime95 right now, full load at 3.6Ghz the Max Vcore is 1.46v at the moment, max core temp is curently 95degrees Celius. Ah well, winter is coming, i can at least use the PC as a room heater :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 8:57:17 PM

95c LOL

You need to do a reverse overclock,lol

Back it off until the core temps under prime are at 70 or below

Seriously, start manually setting voltages for aggressive overclocking, or set it to 3.0 and call it a day.
September 24, 2009 9:03:28 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Try to learn how to set all your voltages manually. You will save power and more importantly, the parts your overclocking. 1.5 is the max rated for that chip. So at idle in CPU-z you should stay under that value. As for the other voltages, I would do some reading on it. And try to do what the last poster said and test for stability, or you will quickly have a corrupt copy of XP installed.

Sound advice, Chief. Prime95 is doing a full Torture Test at the moment, The CPU hasn't gone above 1.47v on HWMonitor (1.464v - 1.472v on CPU-Z).

I don't expect i shall run the machine at full OC speed very often, I'd guess that it would age the CPU etc pretty quickly (the candle that burns twice as bright burns halfs as long...), and i currently can't afford to replace it. :(  at 3.6Ghz it's running at 150%...

For some reason, even with the multiplier set to manual (in BIOS) (which removes the inteligent multiplier option- drops to *6 when idle, *9 when loaded), the machine still operates as if it was switched on. Should I aim at Max power voltage?

I think Prime95 might have just found a victim... :lol: 
September 24, 2009 9:06:17 PM

sportsfanboy said:
95c LOL

You need to do a reverse overclock,lol

Back it off until the core temps under prime are at 70 or below

Seriously, start manually setting voltages for aggressive overclocking, or set it to 3.0 and call it a day.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan, 3Ghz is a good middleground, think it just overheated the CPU... :lol: 

it's getting nice n warm in here....
September 24, 2009 9:09:59 PM

I'll read up on manual voltages later, i'd like to know how to do it right, just because really, but i'm gonna test at 3.0 on auto for now. Xbox360 while i wait ;-)
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 9:15:31 PM

Cool... it's not hard to do, just takes a little free time. Lower this, raise that, not brain surgery.
September 24, 2009 9:16:12 PM

Again, thanks so much for your help & advice! I really appreciate it :) 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 9:17:39 PM

Your welcome, good luck with it
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2009 10:22:48 PM

Wow 95c ouchie

Do at .333 CPU multiplier, and manually set your CPU voltage to 1.275 (give or take a little depending on what you are stable at. You should stay at the lowest possible voltage). Manually set your Ram to 5-5-5-18 at factory recommended voltage settings with a 5:6 multiplier and that will give you 800 mhz speed.

Your voltages and timings should ALWAYS be set manually when you overclock. And disable all the processor speedstep junk (which im sure you already read).

That is a really comfortable overclock for your setup - it shouldn't be pushing your system too hard at all. When you do prime95 for 24 hours your temps should be well below 65°C.

I have the exact timings and voltages I listed above, and I saw 61°C after 24hour prime 95 on one core only... over 65-70 is too hot by most people's standards, even the enthusiast.

At this point your graphics card is bottlenecking you at 3ghz anyway - I wouldn't try to throttle your system any more untill you are about ready to upgrade or you put a better graphics card in to utilize the cpu speed.
September 24, 2009 11:20:34 PM

Adroid said:
Wow 95c ouchie

Do at .333 CPU multiplier, and manually set your CPU voltage to 1.275 (give or take a little depending on what you are stable at. You should stay at the lowest possible voltage). Manually set your Ram to 5-5-5-18 at factory recommended voltage settings with a 5:6 multiplier and that will give you 800 mhz speed.

Your voltages and timings should ALWAYS be set manually when you overclock. And disable all the processor speedstep junk (which im sure you already read).

That is a really comfortable overclock for your setup - it shouldn't be pushing your system too hard at all. When you do prime95 for 24 hours your temps should be well below 65°C.

I have the exact timings and voltages I listed above, and I saw 61°C after 24hour prime 95 on one core only... over 65-70 is too hot by most people's standards, even the enthusiast.

At this point your graphics card is bottlenecking you at 3ghz anyway - I wouldn't try to throttle your system any more untill you are about ready to upgrade or you put a better graphics card in to utilize the cpu speed.

Wow! Thanks Adroid! :-) 95degrees C, yep, ouchie, I think the thermal trip tripped... I let it cool down, cold rebooted & reset to 333, it's Prime95 stable so far. To be fair i can't see me EVER running it at max full load constantly, but beter to be safe than sorry. 3.6GHz is 2.4 running at 150%, probably beyond it's design without liquid nitrogen cooling ;) 
I'll try out your suggested settings & run Prime95 again once it's done this set of torture tests (good to have a control or comparison set), but i really need to know what i'm doing so i'll read up on manual tuning. Thanks to you guys I have a fuller knowledge of whats going on, what i should expect to achieve (without flames shooting out of the rear).
The speed step is disabled, but for some reason is still active, i checked earlier as i'd noticed this. i think it might have something to do with the AI Suite overriding the BIOS.
Now though, i'm heading to bed & letting this run overnight. 2 hours into Torture Test, the temperaures are 70-72degrees C max, with my case fans all at the lowest speed.

Thanks for your help :) 
September 25, 2009 1:59:17 PM

Quote:
Still too hot if you ask me. Mine never goes above 62c and my room it hot in the summer(84f).
I'm using a Sunbeam CC freezer.

I expect you're right, I just stopped the torture test, 74degrees C max, 16hours 36 minutes, 0 errors, 0 warnings. Gonna reboot & try out your suggested settings. The Vcore voltage was 1.26-1.3v during the test. Think i'll read up on manual voltages now, i want to reduce that temparature.
September 25, 2009 3:28:15 PM

Adroid said:
Wow 95c ouchie

1.275 vcore is currently maxing at 65degrees during stress testing. need to work out how to do the ratios, i suspect this should lower the temperature further. TEsting is clean so far anyway :-)
September 26, 2009 3:40:56 PM

Quote:
But you never answered, whats your VID?

How do I calculate/find the VID?
September 27, 2009 2:26:02 PM

AirZeee said:
Spec:
Windows XP SP3 (used for home music production)
ASUS P5B Premium Mobo
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.4 Ghz (I believe it was the G0 revision of this CPU)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS OC

Can anyone offer any advice on OCing this setup? I'm a Noob to OCing, read through loads of tutorials putting things into practice, but got nowhere. This mobo comes with AI Suite, which includes "AI NOS" (ASUS Non-delay Overclocking System) ("AI NOS will monitor CPU demands and o verclock the system automatically" - my arse does it, it just crashes the PC when stress tested) and "AI Booster" ("A utility to do overclocking" I.E. a fancy windows GUI for altering the BIOS settings)

I've spent the last 3 days trying to get this to play nice, i'm familiar with the BIOS setings (not sure about the Vcore settings i'd need though). :fou: 

i'm hoping to OC this CPU up to Max 3.4Ghz, although less will be ok. If this is unrealistic, then someone please let me know! The supplied kit only OC's up to an extra 20% (2.8Ghz), well it would if it worked... :lol: 

I've frequently had "overclocking failed!F1 to enter setup... F2 to load defaults" appear after crashed attempts to Boot, usually after a POST failure.

I followed through GRAYSKY's how to OC Thread on here, made sense etc, just didn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure i'm not doing something, or doing something wrong, but just don't know what. Surely leaveing the VCore on AUTO initially should be ok?

Any help would be appreciated, general abuse would probably be taken with a chuckle too! :sol: 

Thanks PPL
to get to 3.4ghz you should need a Vcore of 1.42volts so dont be scared to play around with voltages and if in your motherboard their is a way to overclock north bridge do so dont leave it on auto and dont use any AI overclocking tools their bullshit
September 27, 2009 6:13:42 PM

Mite_a said:
to get to 3.4ghz you should need a Vcore of 1.42volts so dont be scared to play around with voltages and if in your motherboard their is a way to overclock north bridge do so dont leave it on auto and dont use any AI overclocking tools their bullshit

Cheers, i'm happy running it at 3Ghz. Had it up to 3.6Ghz, but was unstable. My Mobo doesn't appear to like going asynchronous with the FSB: D RAM frequencies, i'll stick a list up later. Been finding the lowest stable vcore voltage, think i've craqcked that so i can move on to the others..

I'll list my resulting settings when i finish with it so that someone with a similar set up might save a bit of time. Good learning curve so far though :D 
September 28, 2009 1:11:45 PM

Quote:
CPU-z displays your VID.

I couldn't see it anywhere, I can see Core Voltage. Never mind, Core Temp 0.99.5 reports the VID as 1.2500v, CPU-Z 1.52.2 reports the Core voltage as 1.160v, and HW monitor Pro reports Vcore as 1.16v current, 0.38v minimum (i guess a big vdroop was going on there, prior to stress test) and 1.20v max (these are quoted during stress testing with prime95), althought he BIOS setting for Vcore is 1.2375v

Pretty sure i've nailed a stable setup now, all voltages are on manual settings (most on the lowest available) but i'll add a post reinterating my setup specs & the voltages etc i've used to achieve the OC i'm happy with. It's been stable for 17 hours at full load, maximum heat & power consumption, and hasn't gone above 68degrees C. Full load operating temperature drops to (max) 60degrees C when i throttle the case fans to max airflow (cores #2 & #3 max at 57degrees C)

I only have 80mm case fans, i plan on upgrading the rear case fan to 120-140mm as it has space & fixtures already in place, which means i'll can add this to the existing 80mm fan at the front of the case. This would fill all the designed spaces, although i'm considering adding an extra fan into the internal access panel to force air onto the GPU. This side panel already has a vent in the region of the GPU, plus a fan blowing onto the (fan cooled) CPU heatsink. This is an Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.
As i'm not a hardcore gamer, and the software I use for making music only stresses the CPU when things are getting quite busy & poorly managed (repeatedly generating audio rather than just playing it back for example), there is little point in investing in a liquid cooling system. I might look at that optin for future systems, but i'm also on limited financial resources at the moment, so it'll wait.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help again, I know how frustrating teaching noobs can be, I really appreciated the hand holding.

Cheers :-)
September 28, 2009 6:17:35 PM

Quote:
Your VID is 1.25v, just as I thought. Which means your should overclock much better than my Q6700 which has a VID of 1.325.

Wanna trade? I bet I could get that baby stable at 3.6 on my mobo. JK

LoL, thanks but no. It OC'd to 3.6 here, before i started manually adjusting things. on auto it put the cores up to 95degrees then the thermal trip tripped.... might have a go to see why i can come up with anyway.
September 28, 2009 9:11:40 PM

Spec:
Windows XP SP3
ASUS P5B Premium Motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.4 Ghz, revision G0
cooled by Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS OC 320Mb
PSU is Corsair HX620w Modular Power Supply.

Successfully Overclocked to 3.0Ghz using the following BIOS settings:
Advanced>JumperFree Configuration:

AI Tuning Manual
CPU Frequency 333
DRAM Frequency DDR2-667Mhz (1:1 ratio)
PCI Express Frequency 100
PCI Clock Sync 33.33Mhz
Spread Spectrum Auto
Memory Voltage 1.80v *
CPU VCore Voltage 1.2375v
FSB Termination Voltage 1.200v **
NB VCore 1.25v **
SB VCore 1.50v **
ICH Chipset Voltage 1.057v **

If I insisted on reaching 800Mhz with my DRAM frequency, i'd only be able to overclock to 2.88Ghz, using FSB of 320Mhz, at a 4:5 Ratio. However, breaching the 800Mhz to 833Mhz would yield a 4:5 ratio FSB: DRAM 333:833. I might check this for stability later.
4:5

Other Settings:
Advanced> CPU Configuration:

CPU Ratio Adjustment Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting 9
C1E Support Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit Disabled (for windowsXP)
Vanderpool Technology Disabled (i don't use VMWare)
CPU TM Function Enabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled
PECI Enabled <<<msybr disble this??

Advanced> Chipset> North Bridge Configuration

Memory Remap Feature Enabled (allows the use of more than 3Gb with 32bit O/S)
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD Disabled (This allows entry of manufacturers ratings)
- DRAM CAS# Latency 5 DRAM Clocks *
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5 DRAM Clocks *
- DRAM RAS# Precharge 5 DRAM Clocks *
- DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha 18 DRAM Clocks * (5-5-5-18)
- DRAM TRFC 42 DRAM Clocks ***
- DRAM TRRD 10 ***
- Rank Write to Read Delay 10 ***
- Read to Precharge Delay 10 ***
- Write to Precharge Delay 11 ***
Static Read Control Auto ***

* As per the manufacturers spec
** Lowest available settings
*** I left these unchanged (I think)

Torture Tested with Prim95 (Large FFT's), Stable for 24 hours, 3 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
Max Core Temp at full load & case fans on low - 68degrees Centigrade, this drops to 60degrees Centigrade with case fans on full.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 10:14:32 PM

Once again if your mobo has a setting of 5:6 for the ram, that will = 800 mhz @ .333 multiplier you using.
September 28, 2009 10:32:01 PM

Adroid said:
Once again if your mobo has a setting of 5:6 for the ram, that will = 800 mhz @ .333 multiplier you using.

Cheers, it doesn't have 5:6. Closest match was 4:5 which pushes the DRAM freq to 833Mhz. Now when i was fumbling in the dark, i was accidentally pushing my 800Mhz DRAM up, as i'd not realised the relationship, so i might get away with the extra 33Mhz, but i'd bet it'd make the system unstable. i might check it out for arguments sake :D 
!