daztheenglishman

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hi all,

This has probably already been covered a thousand times over, but I just cant seem to find the answer....

OK, so I am planning major upgrade of my system soon from my skt939 3500+ to possibly an Intel based system, probably an E8400.

I know that XP 32bit will not recognise more than 3GB (or thereabouts) of RAM, but would installing 4GB (in 2 x 2GB sticks) have a negative impact on performance?

Would I be better just buying 2GB (2 x 1GB) of faster RAM, for now and adding more if I move up to 64bit OS in the future?

I was planning on the following:

E8400 (or a Q6600?)
ASUS P5Q Pro
ATI 4850 PowerColor PCS+ Edition 512MB
+ all the usual bit & pieces

Would be used for gaming (17" LCD so not huge res), photo editing, odd bit of video editing and the usual computer tasks....

Any advice appreciated

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I just bought 2 X 2GB sticks, also running XP 32bit. No problem except that we have to live with the fact that 1G is wasted.

2 sticks seem to have a tad more bandwidth than 4. Also easier to overclock.

I am as happy as a pig in **** with my new system!

Go with the 2x2Gig memory.
You can stay with 32 bit Operating system (Will have approx 3.2 Gigs of memory for OP & Programs) works great in my system. Did not see any performace hit. Or, as previously stated you can go with 64 bit Vista and get full 4 gigs. Myself I'm happy with 4 gigs in both Vista32 and XP pro 32 Bit (Have dual Boot).

Added - 2 x2 Gigs was no different to OC than my 2x1 Gig sticks (4 by 1 Gig sticks required raising the FSB & (G)MCH voltage by +0.1 V for stable operation which I backed off when converting to the 2x2 sticks.