Striker II NSE? or GTX 280? Freezing my game PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2008 1:44:12 PM

I currently have just had someone build me a computer with these specs:

PSU: 850watts
GPU: XFX GTX 280
MOBO: Asus Striker II NSE
CASE: Antec Gaming Case

Now i'm not an idiot at computers but i just suck at this "building a computer thing". So please help me...

Everytime i play a game or 3d application, my computer suddenly locks up/freezes/crashes. There's a video on youtube showing you but i cant find the link. The audio/sound loops over and over fast. There's nothing i can do including ALT CRT DEL, or switch to desktop or QUIT. The computer totally freezes.

It first started on assassins creed my first game on here, but it only happened every like 1hr or so. Now it has become frustrating more with me playing bioshock and it happening every 5 - 30mins. Its got damn annoying.

I have all updates for VISTA, i also have updated BIOS, GRAPHIC CARD, and MOTHERBOARD and AUDIO.

I also have a program on here called: AI SUITE
I know its for overclocking and stuff (im not one that knows much about overclocking, but when something says it makes the computer faster i press it), but whenever i choose a option of 3-in-1 Overclocking it does it, and then when im doing something 30 secs later it locks up/freezes the computer.

My graphic card does not have an amber colour LED on the back (its green) when this happens aswell (ingame/out of game).

Also another thing my system doesnt seem hot either, the temperatures of the computer are fine.

And i have 4 x 1gb RAM. running on Windows VISTA 64bit.

Any help would be appreciated. There's many instances of this on the web, but mine is a bit different. Please someone help.

UPDATE:

****FIXED****

Long time since i started this thread.

I'd like to add that i have had a successful *STABLE* system now for a long time.
The problem was pretty much my RAM timings. Double check on your manufacturer's website.

I thought since my computer was built for me, that they would have put the right timings in.

Thanks to all you guys who have tried helping us out. I have truly learnt alot about computers now.

Now the only thing to fix is that damn micro-stutter in Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC.

August 27, 2008 2:03:18 PM

try doing a fresh install of Vista x64? That way you could install all of the latest drivers without having to worry about the remains of previous driver installations. Plus, you could try rolling back your Nvidia driver until you find one that is stable. What brand of PSU are you using? You state that you have an 850watt powersupply, but the brand of the supply can be usefull too. Furthermore, stay away from overclocking using AI SUITE! you could be causing many stability problems by using an IN-OS overclocking utility. You should reset your bios to change all settings to default, in case you have changed a setting that could have caused instability.
August 29, 2008 8:13:56 AM

done all that, problem still is occuring.
i never touch the ai suite at all.

the psu is thermaltake toughpower 850watt.

does it matter if my computer power cable is hooked up to a extension power board?
Related resources
September 6, 2008 1:47:32 AM

Liquidignition, I get exactly the same issues that you have been getting...

Symptom: PC locks or freezes when playing 3D games like World of Warcraft and Oblivion. The sound will often get stuck in a loop. You can not task out or do anything besides reset or Turn the PC off.

My Rig:
CPU: Core 2 Quad 'Q9550' @ 2.83 fsb 1333Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 'tough power' 850 watts
GPU: MSI GTX 280 'NX280GTX'
MOBO: Asus Striker II Extreme 'chipset 790i ultra'
RAM: 4 gig Corsair 1600Mhz 'TW3X4G1600C9DHX' 2x2 gig sticks (running at 1333Mhz 9,9,9,24 2T)

I recently upgraded the Bios of the Striker II Extreme to v1002 and now World of Warcraft locks every 5 mins.. (use to only lock once or twice per day) Oblivion will only lock once or twice a day still..

I have tried a lot of thing to fix this issue, from Mobo bios updated, re-installing video drivers, trying different memory timings. nothing seems to fix it.

Gona try one more idea... Ill try changing the rail on the power supply that the video card in plugged into. (doubt it will help) but I will let you know.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to fix this issue, I would luv to hear for you.
September 7, 2008 1:45:40 AM

Well I've now tried a different Nvidia video card in my rig ( a ASUS GF8800 GTX which I know works perfectly fine in my old pc cause Ive been using it for the last year or so).

And guess what... It locks and freeze the same way the GTX 280 does when used on the Asus Striker II Extreme Motherboard.

I guess the conclusion here is that the Asus 'Striker II Extreme' is causing the problems. (i don't believe it is a memory issue because I have run mem test programs and received zero errors, also the locking and freezing only occurs while running a game with 3D graphics...)

Guess I'm just gonna have to replace the mobo.
October 26, 2008 10:55:39 AM

Hello
Im having a very similar issue here..
Just picked my pc up yesterday and im playing Far cry 2 for about 10 to 30 mins when it freezes up with a high pitched noise from the speakers. Ive looked on line and found varied responses, Some people saying the PSU is not powerful enough to run the graphics card, But would it work for the length of time it does ?
Please help.

My System is as follows

M/ Board : Asus Striker 11
CPU : intel Q9450
Graphics : Nvidia GTX 280 xfx
RAM : 8GB Corsair Dominator with fans 1066
PSU : 850 Thermaltake Tough power.
CASE : Antec 1200.

I see its close to other posters.

Id be greatful for any response.

October 26, 2008 10:00:16 PM

check ur north bridge temperature from bios. Thats always been the reason for my computer completely freezing:) 

I have a Striker 2 formula, as soon as I switch to liquid cooling, thats when the northbridge temperatures became outrageous, and my comp would freeze randomly, most of the time at Vista loading screen.

tell us ur Northbridge, south bridge and CPU temperatures. Don't say they are fine, because we might know otherwise.:p 

My northbridge is now 50 idle and 63 load:)  because I installed a bracket fan. before it was 82 idle:p ...so just because ur NB temp is fine when your in bios, you have to understand that the NB controls the bandwidth going to the CPU, so it gets hot when the CPU is worked alot more, even loading vista can work the CPU more than XP or dos.

let us know
October 30, 2008 4:57:29 AM

My 'Striker II Extrem' board in now freezing within 20-30 min of starting any 3D game and if I rebooted and load a game again, it freezes after about 5 mins. :pfff: 

The strange thing is it worked quite well for the first month or so, it has definitely degraded over time.

I definitely think L1qu1d is right with it being a heat issue on the board (but I never though to test it)... but it's not over-clocked and has a good case: Soprano DX (P/N: VE7000BWS) with plenty of fans and air flow. It never crashes when using the desktop, only with 3D games.

I ended up taking my mobo back to the computer shop under warranty. They replicated the problem and sent it back to the manufacturer (ASUS). After 4 weeks ASUS said they performed some sort of repairs on the board (but it looked exactly the same to me, with no evidence of repair work)

I put my PC back together only to have it display exactly the same problems. So I have sent it back yet again, as it is totally unusable for games (which is the sol reason I bought the dam thing).

So now I am waiting for the board to be returned again so I can go for round 3... If in fails to work this time-a-round I will be demanding a refund. ($595 AUS) :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
October 30, 2008 5:13:32 AM

take the door off and see if it helps
April 21, 2009 1:58:53 PM

Quote:
My 'Striker II Extrem' board in now freezing within 20-30 min of starting any 3D game and if I rebooted and load a game again, it freezes after about 5 mins. :pfff: 

The strange thing is it worked quite well for the first month or so, it has definitely degraded over time.

I definitely think L1qu1d is right with it being a heat issue on the board (but I never though to test it)... but it's not over-clocked and has a good case: Soprano DX (P/N: VE7000BWS) with plenty of fans and air flow. It never crashes when using the desktop, only with 3D games.

I ended up taking my mobo back to the computer shop under warranty. They replicated the problem and sent it back to the manufacturer (ASUS). After 4 weeks ASUS said they performed some sort of repairs on the board (but it looked exactly the same to me, with no evidence of repair work)

I put my PC back together only to have it display exactly the same problems. So I have sent it back yet again, as it is totally unusable for games (which is the sol reason I bought the dam thing).

So now I am waiting for the board to be returned again so I can go for round 3... If in fails to work this time-a-round I will be demanding a refund. ($595 AUS)

okie doke. im back. its been a long time.
ive come back because im looking for an answer.
i never did get this resolved nearly after a year of having this computer now (since my first post here).
the computer has not been used for its purpose and im real ticked that i cant find any on the internet.
I am stupid, i went and bought a stupid expensive computer, not thinking about calibration of the bios and stuff.
As you can tell, i dont know alot about the MECHANICS of computers.

Ok so lets get to the point:

I wanted to start to find out this problem with the lock ups/freezes of pretty much any game i play on my computer.
Im still having the same problems and the computer has now been sent in to be repaired three times with no luck.
They said the last time i sent it in, it worked fine for them, but clearly not for me. they swapped my video card over with a new one. but still didnt work. they said they fixed something in the 'Timings'. I kinda know what it is but i wouldnt go fiddling with it. I hear you have to calibrated your whole system around all of your hardware. See i wouldnt have a clue at what timings i should have.

now ive reinstalled vista again (CLEAN) install, updated audio, windows & video drivers to new NVIDIA 182.50.
Started up steam see if i could play a lil bit of Left4Dead, got 10mins into the game and it locked up, with the same symptoms as before, with the audio looping. Its not even lagging or pushing the power. temps are fine, fans running smoothly.

ive looked over the forums, and found similar cases popping up around the web in the last couple of months. so its good to see this happening to other ppl. cos i thought i was the only one.

if anyone could please help, would be greatly appreciated. (sorry, bout the whining or crying, but its been so long that ive it and wanted to play but cant)

Here are my specs as to date:

ASUS Striker II NSE
XFX Nvidia GTX 280
4 x 1gb of RAM
Wireless Netgear

nit123:
Have you found out anything interesting since? be really interested as you have nearly the exact same specs and problem im induring?

Thanks guys, Joel
May 30, 2009 3:34:04 PM

Hello my friend. i have the same problem.

my system specs:
MB:Striker II Extrem
CPU:Quad Q9550
RAM:2x 1Gig Patriot
VGA:XFX 8500 Fatality

at first i think this is for bios,then i'm upgrade it.after that i suspect the cpu(before the q9550, i had an old core 2 duo 6420)and upgrade it,the problem still exists,then i change ram timings and voltage. the problem doesn't fade but reduced.i'm contact asus support but they said this kind of update drivers and ...
and the problem exists.in my case the system freezes when watching dvd.honestly it doesn't freez in light games like:the sims 2 and need for speed most wanted or freezes rarely.but sometimes in windows it's suddenly freezes despite the fact that there isn't any video or game process running.i want to know if your problme solved or are contact asus support or not,and if yes what did they say to you because they say to me my problem is rare and they haven't faced this kind of problem.please contact me.you think we can refund our money if the problem not solved?

my mail address is:mao57184@yahoo.com
September 18, 2009 10:51:22 PM

hey guys yeah guess what i have the same problem too! i have had this computer for about a year now running the following

asus striker II extreme 795i
2 * engtx 280 (asus)
one 1200w power supply which i added another 650w just to run the cards as everyone was saying it was a power issue
4 gig hyper x ddr3 ram
quad core 2.83
raptor 300g hdd

for starters SLI is a load of ***, i get same fps with it off.

When running to cards ( in sli or not ) i get the same thing, lock up with looping sound. updates bios to 1201, all cards updates too.. When running in sigle card, it lasts longer but still crashes. im guessing it has to be the MB, so im getting another one this week. ill let you all know what happenes to
any ideas please email me at dankaiser@live.com.au
September 26, 2009 7:09:10 PM

kaisoesu said:
hey guys yeah guess what i have the same problem too! i have had this computer for about a year now running the following

2 * engtx 280 (asus)
one 1200w power supply which i added another 650w just to run the cards as everyone was saying it was a power issue
4 gig hyper x ddr3 ram
quad core 2.83
raptor 300g hdd

When running to cards ( in sli or not ) i get the same thing, lock up with looping sound. updates bios to 1201, all cards updates too.. When running in sigle card, it lasts longer but still crashes. im guessing it has to be the MB, so im getting another one this week. ill let you all know what happenes to

October 10, 2009 3:52:50 PM

Really hope you succeed/ed.

let us know.

If still going through the build, then good luck

M
October 15, 2009 4:32:31 AM

kaisoesu said:

2 * engtx 280 (asus)
4 gig hyper x ddr3 ram
quad core 2.83
raptor 300g hdd

Same problem of freezing with 3D games. I got to think problem is related to populating the four memory slots of the mobo. I did not test it but I am guessing it will work with just two modules. It seems the problem is in the architecture of Striker II Extreme. BIOS upgrading will not solve it . Neither drivers updating. In other words, there is no solution to it! But I will test it with 2x2 GB modules and report.
October 27, 2009 10:27:10 PM

asus striker nse II
cpu q9950
gtx280
4x1gb ddr3

im not a pro, i just have the same problem, and i fixed giving more Volts too ddr3, look thats the board stock values is not enough for the ram, i bios i set the max volts possible in green stage, now i can play farcry2, crysis, how long i want without problems, sorry my english, hope that can be usefull
October 28, 2009 1:26:31 AM

dantezi said:
asus striker nse II
cpu q9950
gtx280
4x1gb ddr3

im not a pro, i just have the same problem, and i fixed giving more Volts too ddr3, look thats the board stock values is not enough for the ram, i bios i set the max volts possible in green stage, now i can play farcry2, crysis, how long i want without problems, sorry my english, hope that can be usefull

Dantezi, the problem I reported is freezing when using four memory modules, 4x2Gb to a total of 8GB.
No freezing when just using 2x2GB total 4GB. ASUS told me that the Corsair memory I use is not in the QVL thus it is not guaranteed that they will work. Also, I read in another forum that the exactly same problem I have has been solved changing the Corsair memory to another brand! What brand are you using? Did you try 8GB?
October 28, 2009 6:42:53 PM

HarryOP said:
Dantezi, the problem I reported is freezing when using four memory modules, 4x2Gb to a total of 8GB.
No freezing when just using 2x2GB total 4GB. ASUS told me that the Corsair memory I use is not in the QVL thus it is not guaranteed that they will work. Also, I read in another forum that the exactly same problem I have has been solved changing the Corsair memory to another brand! What brand are you using? Did you try 8GB?

hi
i think maybe your problem can be other, because im using 4x1GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800, the thing i have try before give more vots was using just 2X1GB, and that was working too, maybe the problem is using four slots, u already try to OC a little bit the ram?
November 19, 2009 9:22:11 AM

Hi All,

I have had the same problem on my machine also, again with more or less similar specs;

Asus Striker II Extreme
Quad Q9650
Corsair Memory 4GB (4x1GB)
1 GB XFX 280XT Graphics Card

Have not overclocked anything. Problem occurs playing 3d games or when running the iTunes Visualiser, almost gaurantees the system to freeze in about 10 - 20 minutes. 3D Games also, Crysis, Empire Total War, Call of Duty

Has anyone who has changed MB solved this problem? In some ways I hope so as it would be the cheapest component that would need replacing!

Thanks.
December 3, 2009 2:48:47 AM

Hi all :D 

I've been dealing with this problem for over a year now, and for one reason or another I just haven't been able to afford to replace the card, or what ever the problem may be.

Just like most of you guys I get a lock up, colourful distorted screen with either high pitch or looping sounds. This occurs in games (most) and has recently started happening in GOM player as well :( 

Now my spec's are slightly different, but I believe it is the card that is causing the issue:

ASUS P5K Motherboard
Q6600 CPU
ASUS 1GB 280 GTX
4GB DDR 2 800MHz RAM
950W Thermaltake PSU (potential cause?)
Running Win 7 RC 7100 64bit, although this problem continued occuring while I was running Vista Business 32bit as well as Vista Home Premium 64bit

I have tried everything from rolling back drivers, trying alternate drivers (Windows Update Recommended nVidia drivers), bios updates, formatting with clean installs, formatting with restores, MEMtests (with no errors).

Now, the only thing it could really be is the hardware in my comp, as I've mentioned I haven't had the funds to play around with replacement hardware, so I've been forced to do research... to no luck :( 

Ohh, also, I do not, and have never overclocked any of the hardware I am currently using.

EDIT: I remember reading about 8 months ago that a guy was having the same issue, brought it back to the store he bought it from and was told it was to do with the circuits on the card. Basically, if you boot the computer (after it has been off for a few hours) and shortly after booting into Windows you start a game, components on the card will basically heat up too quickly and some contacts are not made (ie. expanding components from heat). He said the work around was to start into windows, then put the computer into sleep mode for about 30 seconds, wake it and he'd be right to play without crashes.

I have since been trying to find that forum again to see if he had anymore luck with the issue, but I just found it interesting, and I guess it is this which makes me think it may be the card rather than the MBs, especially seeing I don't have an ASUS Striker II :kaola: 
December 19, 2009 7:17:24 AM

I'm also having the same problem and have been for some time.

My Spec's:

- 3 x 2Gb DDR3 (6Gb's total)
- 3 x GTX 280's
- Core i7 940
- Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
- 850W PSU

How could such a common issue be caused? This appears to be a correlation with Asus Mobo's?

i did not initially detect the problem as my card's kept overheating (i'm on liquid cooling). To fix this i ordered another radiator. There was some serious problems with communication between retailer and myself (grrr) and it took 4-5 months to arrive. Whilst my cards were overheating i had no issue with games freezing (other then my cards themselves shutting down due to overheat).

However as soon as i recieved my radiator (with 3x 120mm fans), my system started freezing up in games in the same manner as described above.

I've tried rolling back my drivers... beta drivers... swapping out cards... etc, and still no luck.

could three little 120 mm fans seriously be over drawing my current!?!

any ideas anyone? thanks a tun!
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 2:24:08 PM

I'm strictly addressing the ASUS Striker II Extreme/NSE Motherboard, because I believe thats where the problem actually is, this thread may need to be moved to the motherboard section, it was a fluke I even found it.

Some of you bought pre-built computers with the ASUS Striker II Extreme M/B installed, thats amazing?

The Striker II Extreme M/B is an extreme high end overclocking motherboard, its hard to imagine why someone would build a computer to sell to the public and install that M/B in it, for a user thats probably never going to overclock it, thats extremely irresponsible on the builders part?

Well for starters heres my specs with no problems, I'm listing this not for bragging just so you know your problems probably can be resolved, and I'm willing to help all I can as each of you have different additional hardware.

My Specs;
Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OCd to 3.82Ghz
ASUS Striker II Extreme Motherboard
4G 2 x 2G Patriot Viper DDR3 16,000/2000mhz Memory
2 MSI 260GTX 216SP in SLI
2 Switch Isolated HDDs
1 Seagate SATA2 500G running WinXP Pro 32bit
1 Seagate SATA2 500G running Vista64 Home Premium
Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Soundcard
The rest doesn't matter.

Heres a couple of points, the 1301 BIOS release does seem better for O/Cing purposes, but really none of you with the Striker II Extreme should be below the 1203 BIOS release even if you're not O/Cing.

With the Striker II Extreme, as with a lot of ASUS M/Bs the actual manually set voltage is always higher on the output end, at least from my experience of all the ASUS M/Bs I've owned to date, so when it comes to memory modules, especially DDR3, it can be a crash and burn constant problem.

So first suggestion would be to manually set your DDR3 slot voltage and timings to the manufacturers specifications of the memory modules, then save and re-enter the BIOS setup and check under the Power Tab, Click Hardware Monitor, Click Voltage Monitor, and check to see the difference of the manual setting to the ASUS actual.

I had to lower my manual memory voltage setting to get my actual readings in the manufacturers specifications window, a lot of problems relating to memory will disappear right there, this is very important with this particular motherboard.

January 5, 2010 2:52:32 PM

Hey everyone.
I've got the same problem or at least I think I got the same problem. (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUjrhjtg7M ) When running games like CODMW2, Crysis anything that requires 3D support will freeze with colourful distorted screen and looping sounds. Have tried couple of things such as updating drivers, trying older drivers, cleaning the case of any dust which suprisingly helped until the next day...

Specs:
Windows Vista 32bit
Mobo: XFX nforce 790i ultra
Graphics: XFX GTX 280
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6700 2.66ghz
Ram: 4ghz

March 14, 2010 12:37:05 AM

I've been desperately looking for someone else having this problem... hoping that it's been resolved. Well... at least I see that I'm not the only one, so not totally crazy.
I've had this problem for 2 years now and with time it was just getting worse and worse. The problem occurs at stock settings as well as with manually adjusted voltages, memory timing etc. The OC voltages I grabbed off some from the web, the person claimed those settings make it stable... hmm... no for me.
My suspicion it is the the Striker II Extreme mobo problem. At the beginning (2 years ago) system temperature used to be ~30-32 C, but now it is ~40C that seems to be fishy.
What's interesting is that two of my eVGA 9800 GX2 cards died with this mobo. EVGA was kind enough to replace the 1st card, then the second, and now I have the GTX 285 that EVGA sent me last time, but the problem is still there, so must be the mobo issue.
Did someone try talking to ASUS support about this problem? Anyone has a solution?

My rig:
Mobo: Striker II Extreme 790i-ultra
CPU: Q9450 @ 2.66GHz, CPU fan - Zalman
RAM: G-Skill 2x1Gb DDR3-12800 7-7-7-18
Video: EVGA GTX 285 1Gb

Issue: CODMW2 hangs every 5-20 mins, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 hangs every 1-10 mins.
April 27, 2010 8:46:03 AM

cured my problem...binned the Striker & bought an EVGA 790i! Overclocking is a doddle, it does what i want it to do, got an extra 1000 points in 3dMark06 with same timings...and it looks gorgeous! (all black, with a sensible northbridge fan)

PS: fingers crossed, no BSOD or crashes...happy!
May 7, 2010 10:47:45 PM

Hello all

I was getting this same problem.

seems fine in desktop just the 3d games make the screen go black and the sound would continuously loop. The only way to get out of it was to turn off the computer and turn it back on.

I thought at first it was a heating issue.
I recently bought a whole heep of watercooling stuff.

I have watercooled the whole board using Bitspower A790Nsfor the nb and sb, and 2x Bitspower mosfet blocks. So the motherboard components are kept very cool.

Also installed a full coverage Ek waterblock to my gtx285 ftw card and a swiftech xt waterblock for my cpu.

Ok so every thing is cooled so heat is not an issue. But it seems I'm still getting these lock ups in 3d games.

Now what is interesting is that if i get one of these hard locks with the sound looping and a black screen and I press the reset button when the computer restarts and i get the post process displaying on my lCD poster.

it will go cpu init - code init - det ram then it would go back to the start and cycle about 5 times then it would go though the entire process and the computer will boot, but the screen is still black like it has not initiated the graphics card.

But if i press the power button and turn the system off and then power it back up it will post normaly.

Now from that I'm assuming that "det ram" is the video ram getting initiated, there is nothing wrong with my video card so the next thing in line is the Northbridge in my mind so i will be trying all sorts of different combination's regarding the nb voltage and nb Gtl ref.

Also look into ram after that. one thing at a time.

I will let you guys know if i am successful and what I did to make it 3d game stable.

Here are my system specs :-

Cpu - Q9650 oc to 4400
memory - OCZ3P2004GK
MB - Striker II Extreme (bios 1401)
VideoCard - Evga Gtx285 Ftw
PSU - Thermaltake toughpower 850w
Case - Antec 1200

Will let u guys know.
May 19, 2010 1:48:30 PM

guys, after extensive research, and looking at the common problems and common specs. Its the GTX 280 that is the problem (they even took it off the market due to its shotty design) from what i can tell the GTX 280 is a very, very tempermental card. If you havent done all the following then hopefully some of this will help.

if you have updated all the drivers, and bios, checked temps and voltages to the card... take out the card and reinsert it into the PCI slot. Some boards mounted in ATX cases are not level... so when you bolt down the Vid card it doesnt seat properly, making the video card unstable. If this doesnt help move on to the next step.

Just because your temp monitors on your comp say that the card isnt running hot... it still could be. the temps sensors in the GTX 280 arent placed well. even though it says its running cool the GPU can still be running hot. Also, due to shotty craftsmanship you may have to crack the card open and reapply the thermal paste inside the card. If this doesnt help move to the next step.

This item, Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 VGA Cooler, which runs for about 60 U.S. dollars had fixed alot of lockups.

I'll be monitoring this thread for a bit and keeping you updated on any other remedies I find. Any questions about it send and email to meandemon1@msn.com

Also keep me posted on any successful fixes.
May 19, 2010 10:24:16 PM

great news... I fixed the problem with the vid card. It seems that the manufacturers of the GTX 280 pretty much meant for you to bust open the casing and install aftermarket cooling. After talking to a Tech, I was told that this card was made for liquid cooling. It was put in a bogus case for affordability reasons. The stock case, for one doesnt have enough vents, and two cooling can be limited by dust in the cooling fins. Also the fan isnt large enough to cool the whole thing. So to make a long story short, carefully install an aftermarket VGA cooler. they do make a few that arent liquid cooled. The fan will sufficiently cool your GPU and install heatsinks on all the memory blocks. Be aware though that VGA coolers do take up a bit of space, so it may interfere with one of your PCI slots if you are running SLI. Make sure you get a cooling fan with a 4 pin connector, so that you can connect it to the pre-existing plug on the card. powering the fan by any other means will mean that the card wont be able to auto adjust fan speeds for heavy graphic loads. Again, if you have any questions email me at meandemon1@msn.com
June 11, 2010 1:41:52 AM

****FIXED****

Long time since i started this thread.

I'd like to add that i have had a successful *STABLE* system now for a long time.
The problem was pretty much my RAM timings. Double check on your manufacturer's website.

I thought since my computer was built for me, that they would have put the right timings in.

Thanks to all you guys who have tried helping us out. I have truly learnt alot about computers now.

Now the only thing to fix is that damn micro-stutter in Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC.
!