Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Chkdsk

Last response: in Windows XP
December 29, 2010 6:57:25 PM

Hi- Everything I have read to date doesn't help me with this errant XP Disk Check issue I am having. Sometimes on restart, it goes into disk check and sometimes it doesn't- ya just never know! And when it does, it just keeps cycling through it over and over. Running the 'cmd' in dos with 'chkntfs /d' does nothing, 'fsutil dirty query C:' does nothing, either. However, if I run 'chkdsk', I get an error stating there is a problem and nothing can be done in 'cmd', essentially.
Tune Up Utilities and Auslogics occasionally find a disk error and will correct as part of routine maintenance. I really don't know what to think about this whole 'volume's dirty bit' deal, and sure would be grateful if someone could help me straighten this mess out. One thing for sure is that this always happens at the worst possible time(s).
Thank you in advance for your help! :??: 
TimW

More about : chkdsk

December 30, 2010 12:43:25 AM

Nahhh!...The drive is new (2 mos) and it passes Seagates tests. Thanks for replying, though!
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 4:15:30 AM

timw128 said:
Nahhh!...The drive is new (2 mos) and it passes Seagates tests. Thanks for replying, though!

Yea, ask the millions of people that got Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 - 7200.13 drives that worked from once, to a few months before they crapped out.

Get
SIW (System Information for Windows), run it (no install needed) and then click the storage devices icon. When your drive shows up in the right pane, click it and read the information about it. Pay close attention to the Calibration retry Count and the Soft Read Error Rate. The raw data values should be zero.

The latest version is HERE, but I don't like it as much as the older one.

You might want to record the numbers and see if they change over time, like daily.

m
l
December 30, 2010 11:39:44 AM

Hey, thanks for the info, 'Tigsounds'! Personally, I have never had any problems with Seagate Barracuda's, however, I am using a WD Blue 500GB at present, and it is temporary. I am in the process of putting a new mobo/cpu combo in this thing along with a WD VelociRaptor.
Anyway, the initial problem I referred to happens when I run either the Auslogics or Tune Up utilities registry tools. Either way, they force a reboot to clean the registry. When this is done, the machine goes into this cyclic mania with the DSKCHK. Now, I do have this online service as a back up if I get into trouble. They're MS35 techs who use a remote process to fix issues. I am not fond of using them because it seems that when they fix one problem, another problem crops up. Hmmm!, job security?
I'll go get that 'SIW' you refer to and see what it has to say. May I ask, why don't you like the revised version as much as the prior? Is it effectiveness or user friendliness?
I'll run the 'SIW' and post back the results to further seek your opinion. I greatly appreciate your input on this matter and look forward to your future opinions. I am new to the pc game, in general, however as an engineer with a lot of experience, I am qualified at statistical analysis development. Ahh!, everyday is an adventure in the pc world!...lol!
Regards-
TimW :) 
m
l

Best solution

December 30, 2010 2:29:38 PM

As it is said "In the olden days" the thing was free. Now they have a so-called "Pro" version that is a pay program and they still have the free version, but it has some cosmetic changes and a few things taken out to make it supposedly worth buying the pro version. The older free version just works better to me... as the free versions go that is... The new version shows the S.M.A.R.T. info, but not all of it. The older version shows everything. It shows a drive dying in slow motion by the accumulating errors.

The older one shows "Secrets" the newer one shows "Passwords" and more of them. To each his own I guess.
January 5, 2011 11:26:49 PM

Best answer selected by zeuseng06.
m
l
!