silent_744

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Trying to help a friend with an issue they posted on another forum, wondering if you guys can figure anything:

The comptuer was working fine last night. This morning it stopped working.

The monitor wouldnt turn on.

I checked out the monitor and the video card they both work. ( on a different computer)

Now I think what is left is the motherboard or powersupply.
However I cant eliminate which is the problem. The powersupply turns on of course.

Probably a longshot but If anyone could help that would be helpful and generous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Breaking development: I turned the comp on , and it ssays

CPU is unworkable or has been changed . Please recheck the CPU sof t menu.

Did the CPU die? To me it looks like the motherboard is dead seeing as how it started with the display no longer working. Anyhelp for them would be appreciated.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Does the motherboard have a power light? That would indicate it's getting power. I'd stil test it with a different PSU. It's more likely to be the mobo than the CPU, though a fried CPU can happen when the motherboard dies (in which case blame the PSU).

You also didn't mention getting any beeps from the POST to indicate problems with memory, GPU, etc. I assume the small case speaker is properly connected to the right pins on the motherboard?

prodaytrader

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
The easiest way to tell which part is busted is to remove all cards, memory and cpu. Plug powersuppy in and turn computer on. Do you get the same beep or lack of beeps as you did with all the stuff in the computer? If it acts differently then the problem is with one of the parts you took out. If it acts the exact same as before then likely its the motherboard. If it acts different then insert the cpu next and see what happens. Same beeps as before or different? The idea here is to hopefully get a different reaction as soon as the bad part is inserted. The problem these days is that between the motherboard, the memory and the cpu, most of the problems that can arise can arise from any of them and it will still act the same as before. All these parts now come with memory and if the memory blows on any one of those parts it will fail and it's tough to identify exactly where the memory is broken since they all have it to some degree. In the past a memory problem was easy to identify and replace but since cpu's and motherboards now come with memory it's a little tougher. So to that end, just make sure and get your replacement parts local so you can return them if needed. Cpu's are tough to return so buy that last and only if you know you need it. Motherboards are easy to return so keep that in mind too and start there.