Sign in with
Your question

Socket 478 - don't really want to upgrade to 775

Last response: in Motherboards
November 13, 2008 5:21:00 PM

I currently have an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe running 800Mhz FSB with a P4-3GHz and Hyperthreading. My MB is flaking out, as many have experienced with this particular Asus board. It does the "System Fail CPU Test" during POST, and it has gotten significantly worse. Sometimes it takes me 8 or 10 times to get a successful boot. It's getting really lame and maybe at some point it will completely fail. It also recently stopped "sleeping" so each time I need to completely shutdown instead of quickly booting from sleep. It's a shame because it was a nicely equipped MB.

My P4 is still enough processor for what I do with this machine, mostly email, browsing, office apps, stuff like that. No games. I have not really used it enough in the last 4 years to justify just trashing it.

I know I could probably get a decent Core 2 Duo with a new 775 mobo for a couple hundred bucks, but then I'd need different memory too.

I've looked for some replacement Socket 478 Mobos and I can't find much in full size, most of what I find is non-800FSB mini ATX types. Any suggestions from the braintrust here?

More about : socket 478 upgrade 775

November 13, 2008 5:53:25 PM

I had the same problem several months ago. I have two Northwoods sitting in a box that would make perfect firewalls. Unfortunately, I think you are SOL. I would be happy to know if someone has a link to some decent mobos, but I don't think that is the case.

Maybe something used and overpriced, but then you are much better off getting a cheap core 2 duo. DDR2 RAM is pretty cheap right now, 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 for $50-$60 on sale.
November 13, 2008 6:45:42 PM

The problem with the P4P800-E Deluxe is that the Southbridge chipset is dying. Only way to remedy this is to find another P4P800-E Deluxe and take your chances that it will not go out also. Plus the only place you might find a P4 motherboard is on EBay... Mine went out a little over a year ago, so I know what you are going thru,. I even changed CPU, ram and psu to no avail.

So your options are to either buy a used board off EBay or upgrade to a 775 cpu/mobo. :cry: 
Related resources
November 13, 2008 9:04:29 PM

Personally, I have bad luck with socket 478 motherboards. I brought an Pentium 4 1.8a cpu and went thru 2 motherboards so far over the years because the computer have problem booting, similar issue to yours. I personally think it is because of the cheap capacitors that they are using and the kind of power that these CPU draws will almost certainly shorten the life of your motherboard.
November 13, 2008 9:26:11 PM

Hi,

just buy a cheap Asrock Dual sata 2 and E2160.

You can reuse your agp card and ddr1 ram.

Brad
November 13, 2008 10:27:30 PM

Buy a Intel e1200 and a p5kpl-cm mobo and 2g ddr 2 ram $130 total. Probably less the a over price 478 motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2008 10:28:57 PM

Zorg said:
I had the same problem several months ago. I have two Northwoods sitting in a box that would make perfect firewalls. Unfortunately, I think you are SOL. I would be happy to know if someone has a link to some decent mobos, but I don't think that is the case.

Maybe something used and overpriced, but then you are much better off getting a cheap core 2 duo. DDR2 RAM is pretty cheap right now, 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 for $50-$60 on sale.

+1. You can get DDR2 + AM2 board + CPU (A X2) for about $120-150.
November 14, 2008 1:04:17 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I knew I wasn't alone with the Asus mobo issues based on what I had found.

I did one better. Tonight I picked up a ECS G33T-M2 with a boxed E7200 for $59 on a Wednesday/Thursday special at Fry's. Holy cow, I couldn't find a socket 478 mobo alone for that! I've heard ECS is cheap stuff, but I basically paid $9 for the mobo, and $50 for the boxed processor.

Now all I need is 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM.

Brad, I'd still love to use my old AGP 8x graphics card and DDR1 RAM, so your idea is good - what specific Asrock mobo will allow me to reuse this stuff?
!