1156 CPU Heatsink and Fan

era86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Greetings! I know there are limited choices right now for the 1156 socket, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any aftermarket HSFs out there. I'm looking to OC my 860 and I wanted to see my options. A quick google search brought me to other forums and what I gathered was that most major HSFs will have brackets for them.

If anyone has had experience with this or any quality HSF, please let me know! Thanks in advanced!

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009

<-- what obsidian86 said... the best two 1156 air coolers out are the cm hyper 212+ and noctua nh-u12 se2. ~$30 for one and ~$60 for the other. the noctua is in stock at moddersmart.com.

yes, the lga1156 overclocks very well.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
era86 - how is the CM Hyper 212+ working for you? What sort of temps are you getting at idle and load? Did you happen to compare with stock? My i7 860 is idling at around 40C and I'm looking to improve on that. Prime95 pushes it to almost 80C.

era86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I've posted pics of my temps using CoreTemp, but now I can't remember which post it was... :(.

I was idling at about 23C and on load about 45C. So things have been going VERY well. Though I am not OCing, so take that into account as well.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for posting the idle pic. Love to see the load pic whenever you get a chance. No hurry.

One thing I noticed in your idle pic though - your frequency is showing up at 1203.67MHz. Is it normal for it to be that low?

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Agreed.

The reason I asked if that low number was normal is because I was not seeing such behavior with my 860. I certainly haven't seen a multiplier of 9. And I was thinking about it after I saw your pic and I couldn't really recall seeing mine with a higer multiplier either - meaning I don't remember seeing Turbo kick in. I was testing BIOS settings tonight for another problem I've been having with the monitor freezing on, e.g., full screen Hulu and I thought to look at the reported speeds. I did see Turbo working, with my modified BIOS. So I tested specifically for the multiplier when I set the BIOS back to the way I had them originally and retested (Prime95 - 1 thread) and the multiplier no longer moved. It sat at 22x, maybe dipped to 21x once, but never got higher. These readings came from CPU-Z and Core Temp.

The only difference I had between the BIOS was that when Turbo was not working on had XMP turned on. Have you tested your turbo mode successfully? How do you have your RAM configured in the BIOS - Auto, XMP, or manually set?

I'm using a GA-P55M-UD2 with BIOS F4g (Beta, just flashed tonight, fairly certain I had the same behavior on F3).

Thanks.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Your temperatures stay under 50C at full load!? I have got to get one of those Hyper 212+ 's.

If you wouldn't mind, could you run one more experiment for me? Run Prime95 again. After it starts up go into Test and choose Stop but select just thread 8 to stop. Then, one at a time stop thread 7, then 6, then 5, 4, 3 and 2. At this point you should have just the #1 thread running. Please take another screenshot of this, I'd like to see the Core Speed and Multiplier with 1 thread under load. Based on what I discovered last night with XMP turned on mine does not move past ~2.93GHz and a 22x multiplier. It should be hitting 3.46 GHz with a 26x multiplier, or close to it.

Edit: Also, did you make any changes in the BIOS as to how your RAM runs? Is it running default, XMP, or did you set specific timings by hand? I realize we're getting off topic here. Based on your response and what I find when I get a chance to run another test I'll start another thread.

era86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

It for about 6-7 minutes... I can run it for 10 and post another snapshot :).

ekoostik, let me run it again before you make a decision! Haha, also remember I added another 120mm fan to the heatsink. It only comes with one of them. I'm also not OCing.

I'll try and post another pic of Prime95 running for roughly 20 mins. I think I will get higher temps.

vinster27

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hey guys, I just got a new core i5 processor as well and I have been looking at the coolermaster hyper 212 and the

Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro Rev.2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134.

I have read a lot of reviews that say that the coolermaster drops temps. by 15 degrees, but that it is quite loud. The Arctic cooling heatsink is supposed to be quieter but I haven't found to many reviews in regards to how low the temps. will be. So which heatisink do you guys think would be the best?

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005

How are you getting a x22 multiplier? Turbo? I heard that chip overclocks better on the x20 multiplier.
Can you post all your bios settings plz?