Sign in with
Your question

Realworld SSD RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2009 9:13:53 AM

Hi,

I've been reading one article after another, about RAID 0 with SSD's. All pointing in different directions. I'd like to know, if anybody has some real-world expirience with multible SSD's on the ICH10R onboard controller. Are there any performance gains - except for benchmark scores?

Regards
Søren

More about : realworld ssd raid

a b G Storage
December 29, 2009 2:21:28 PM

Im wondering what is it you want to understand?

Yes - I am running 2xIntel 160 G2's on an X58 motherboard in RAID 0.

Is it worth it - not in the slightest. I do it because I can. I upgraded from a single Intel 80G G1 to one 160G G2 and the performance was noticeable. I then added a second one. Two SSD's in RAID0 may saturate many motherboards ability to transfer that amount of data - the X58 chipset's DMI link can handle it.

What do you do with your system? In gaming, the only time you will see it is during level loads where they are almost instantaneous. Otherwise they are not of use in gaming.

Browsing, office apps, watching video? Barely a dent - the limiter is I cannot read and type fast enough.

They do shine in video editing and conversions. All of my editing has been limited by my drive throughput. My CPU had been at 5% or less with rotating disks (WD Raptors in RAID0). If you do a lot of this then this may be a good use. Their initial size was a limiter but they are getting to a useful size now.

Benchmarks do show the limits or extremes of various uses, but reality is much different.
December 30, 2009 2:33:26 PM

Good to know. But for video editing, a raid-0 of mechanical disks should attain the same throughput with more capacity for less money than the added SSD.

Something like a single good SSD for OS and applications, and 4 single-platter 500GB delivering each 130MB/s. Total 2GB and 160€ for the Raid.

I go to SSD only for OS and application loading, this is where I'd to know if two SSD are any better than one.
Related resources
December 30, 2009 7:13:20 PM

I'm using my PC for photoshop with large files, and I'd like to be able to reboot very fast, as I often restart my PC when trying new things. Some basic videoediting is also needed.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 8:05:04 PM

Just a little FYI: If you run a SSD in RAID you will not be able to use TRIM support.

@OP: You probably don't need a SSD for Photoshop. However, consider a 2x Samsung F3s in RAID 0 to be used as OS/scratch disk. However, depending on what you do with Photoshop you can benefit from a SSD. Keep in mind, only use a SSD for OS + working images, not for storage. The best SSD out now is the X25-M G2 or the Kingston M series, which is based on the Intel controller.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 9:22:47 PM

If one was waiting for video editing or large TIFF in Photoshop to finish rendering, then go on to do something else that uses disk activity (even if it's low read/write activity) that's where SSD in RAID stripped or not will outshine HDD multiple times.

It's all about breaking the single tasked HDD usage pattern we've all been so used to and go multitasking involving concurrent disk activities by different programs to truly extract the performance of SSD.
a b G Storage
December 31, 2009 5:29:23 AM

From personally expierence with my patriot torqx raid vs. my velociraptor raid I can say that wuzy is right. I can barely tell the difference between the two in most of the things I do. Even my boot times are don't vary to much. But I don't multitask hard enough to push my SSD RAID. To push the array I would have to download files, render a movie, watch a HD Movie, record TV and play a game at which point my q9550 will prolly choke.
!