4890, have i reached my limits?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
hey everyone, got my 4890 running at 930mhz core and 1200mhz mem clocks, if i go even 5 higher, the display driver stops working, does this mean i am at the cards limit? most people i know say they can hit 950 core, would i need to overvolt to get more out of it?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
The limit may be even lower than that, if you are only measuring stability by the ability to turn on. I use some unconventional methods for testing my overclocks, to much success. Others may be better suited for recommending a graphics testing program.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
i based this on 3 hours of stress tests on furmark, 5 hours of assassins creed and about 6 hours of arma 2 on max settings with normal anti aliasing and normal anistropic filtering in 200% resolution. Is that enough?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Perhaps you should have mentioned that in your original post, as the only information you offered up was that it stopped working at those settings. If you want help with your situation, be prepared and come to table with your specs, and do your homework.

OCing is not a direct cause and effect process that can be used as a template for others with the same product. Some cards will run higher. Some will run lower. With the 4890s being a VERY popular card for factory OC, it wouldn't be surprising to me if the non-oc versions are stock clocks for a reason. The companies have their ways of testing their supply of hardware, and knowing which ones are best suited for OC, and best suited for regular duty. Again, you didn't say the brand or model of your 4890, but if it a stock clock version from a company that releases a lot of OC versions (XFX, MSI, Sapphire for example) then it is even more likely that the situation I described above is accurate.

If your card was a bone stock 850mhz model, then you should still be happy to get an 85mhz OC out of the GPU, as 10% is a large OC for ATI cards.