Server downtime

Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
odd, never seen the likes of it before.
5 answers Last reply
More about server downtime
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "Ringo" <Ringo@noon.com> wrote in message
    > Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
    > the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
    > odd, never seen the likes of it before.

    'Daily maintenance' is what they call it. They use it to clean up the
    databases, apply any patches, and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if
    the servers had some serious memory leaks they need to clean up by
    rebooting also.

    It does go down every day, around the same time. At least now it is
    usually down for less than an hour except on publish days - it use to be
    down a lot longer than it is now.

    - Oalan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:06:20 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:

    >Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
    >the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
    >odd, never seen the likes of it before.

    It's not unusual in a game that has totally unique items like this
    one. They use this time to clean up the databases. When an item is
    made it has a unique identity and must be kept up with..... Like that
    rifle ot carbine you make. It's got a unique serial number and it is
    tracked so that when it is used it's unique characteristics can be
    applied to the situation. When it is destroyed, it leaves a kind of
    gap in the database. The more of those gaps the longer it takes for
    the computers at SoE to look up items in the databases. If they never
    cleaned them up the entire system would bog down to a crawl.

    They also use the time to apply the new patches and do other
    maintenance like add hardware and stuff like that.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    I won't speculate why this down time is required or what it does or doesn't
    do - but this is what Knowledge Base has to say:
    What does the morning server maintenance do?

    Answer
    All servers are brought down for a quick restart each morning. This
    usually occurs around 04:00 PST and lasts roughly 30-60 minutes. The reason
    this reset occurs is to ensure that the world is freshly generated each
    morning to ensure our on-the-fly content remains in its intended
    implementation.

    "Ringo" <Ringo@noon.com> wrote in message
    > Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
    > the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
    > odd, never seen the likes of it before.

    begin 666 trnsp.gif
    J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
    `
    end
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:39:48 -0400, Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:06:20 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
    >>the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
    >>odd, never seen the likes of it before.
    >
    >It's not unusual in a game that has totally unique items like this
    >one. They use this time to clean up the databases. When an item is
    >made it has a unique identity and must be kept up with..... Like that
    >rifle ot carbine you make. It's got a unique serial number and it is
    >tracked so that when it is used it's unique characteristics can be
    >applied to the situation. When it is destroyed, it leaves a kind of
    >gap in the database. The more of those gaps the longer it takes for
    >the computers at SoE to look up items in the databases. If they never
    >cleaned them up the entire system would bog down to a crawl.
    >
    >They also use the time to apply the new patches and do other
    >maintenance like add hardware and stuff like that.

    Unique records are no reason for a daily reboot unless theres
    something very very wrong with system design. Game or not databases
    are databases and unique data in common fields are a matter of course.
    THats one reason it seems so odd to me. Must not be a unix system...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:49:21 -0300, "dak" <kpec090981@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I won't speculate why this down time is required or what it does or doesn't
    >do - but this is what Knowledge Base has to say:
    > What does the morning server maintenance do?
    >
    > Answer
    > All servers are brought down for a quick restart each morning. This
    >usually occurs around 04:00 PST and lasts roughly 30-60 minutes. The reason
    >this reset occurs is to ensure that the world is freshly generated each
    >morning to ensure our on-the-fly content remains in its intended
    >implementation.

    Ahh now this makes sense. Confirms my fear that things were not done
    very well on a basic level. Liking the game just not very happy with
    how its being run. These restarts hit on one of my windows to play the
    game.

    >"Ringo" <Ringo@noon.com> wrote in message
    >> Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
    >> the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
    >> odd, never seen the likes of it before.

Games Servers Video Games