Server downtime

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 20, 2004 11:06:20 AM

Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
odd, never seen the likes of it before.

More about : server downtime

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 7:35:34 PM

"Ringo" <Ringo@noon.com> wrote in message
> Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
> the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
> odd, never seen the likes of it before.

'Daily maintenance' is what they call it. They use it to clean up the
databases, apply any patches, and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if
the servers had some serious memory leaks they need to clean up by
rebooting also.

It does go down every day, around the same time. At least now it is
usually down for less than an hour except on publish days - it use to be
down a lot longer than it is now.

- Oalan
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:39:48 AM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:06:20 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:

>Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
>the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
>odd, never seen the likes of it before.

It's not unusual in a game that has totally unique items like this
one. They use this time to clean up the databases. When an item is
made it has a unique identity and must be kept up with..... Like that
rifle ot carbine you make. It's got a unique serial number and it is
tracked so that when it is used it's unique characteristics can be
applied to the situation. When it is destroyed, it leaves a kind of
gap in the database. The more of those gaps the longer it takes for
the computers at SoE to look up items in the databases. If they never
cleaned them up the entire system would bog down to a crawl.

They also use the time to apply the new patches and do other
maintenance like add hardware and stuff like that.
Related resources
July 21, 2004 5:49:21 PM

I won't speculate why this down time is required or what it does or doesn't
do - but this is what Knowledge Base has to say:
What does the morning server maintenance do?

Answer
All servers are brought down for a quick restart each morning. This
usually occurs around 04:00 PST and lasts roughly 30-60 minutes. The reason
this reset occurs is to ensure that the world is freshly generated each
morning to ensure our on-the-fly content remains in its intended
implementation.

"Ringo" <Ringo@noon.com> wrote in message
> Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
> the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
> odd, never seen the likes of it before.

begin 666 trnsp.gif
J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
`
end
July 23, 2004 12:17:44 AM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:39:48 -0400, Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:06:20 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:
>
>>Not ranting here just a bit confused. Does swg go down every day about
>>the same time? Seems to at least and does any one know why? Really
>>odd, never seen the likes of it before.
>
>It's not unusual in a game that has totally unique items like this
>one. They use this time to clean up the databases. When an item is
>made it has a unique identity and must be kept up with..... Like that
>rifle ot carbine you make. It's got a unique serial number and it is
>tracked so that when it is used it's unique characteristics can be
>applied to the situation. When it is destroyed, it leaves a kind of
>gap in the database. The more of those gaps the longer it takes for
>the computers at SoE to look up items in the databases. If they never
>cleaned them up the entire system would bog down to a crawl.
>
>They also use the time to apply the new patches and do other
>maintenance like add hardware and stuff like that.

Unique records are no reason for a daily reboot unless theres
something very very wrong with system design. Game or not databases
are databases and unique data in common fields are a matter of course.
THats one reason it seems so odd to me. Must not be a unix system...
July 23, 2004 12:22:55 AM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:49:21 -0300, "dak" <kpec090981@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I won't speculate why this down time is required or what it does or doesn't
>do - but this is what Knowledge Base has to say:
> What does the morning server maintenance do?
>
> Answer
> All servers are brought down for a quick restart each morning. This
>usually occurs around 04:00 PST and lasts roughly 30-60 minutes. The reason
>this reset occurs is to ensure that the world is freshly generated each
>morning to ensure our on-the-fly content remains in its intended
>implementation.

Ahh now this makes sense. Confirms my fear that things were not done
very well on a basic level. Liking the game just not very happy with
how its being run. These restarts hit on one of my windows to play the
game.

!