Ugh got an issue with XP

leland16

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Ok guys just bought a new PC for my wife. upgrading her from her old HP..

2.4ghz wolfdale dual core FYI: Old pc had a single core 1.6ghz intel something
400w PSU
3gb ram
P35-DSL gigabyte MB
other parts (cd drive / hard drive) from old computer

So I pull out the HD after building the PC, plug it in and turn it on. It wont boot up windows. When I crank it up, I get a quick blue screen that is too fast to read, then it restarts. Do I need a fresh install of windows or is there something I can do in command prompt/bios to fix this problem? I do not want to delete the HD if at all possible because of all the info on it.

It has the "HP Recovery Console" on the HD as well, which gets me to cmd prompt at C:\WINDOWS. did a chkdsk and it found a couple bad files and fixed em, but still no boot up.

If any of you know any commands in prompt or any other way for me to get XP to boot, please share. It will be much appreciated :)

DANiMALxMD

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Is the HP hardrive an IDE(big ribbon) cable? I recently built a pc and tried to boot my old Dell HDD via IDE and that didn't work. I believe that the hardware may be too dramatic of a change to boot. Something along those lines. I am not 100% on this though.

leland16

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
it is an IDE, but IDE worked fine on my new PC?? I do agree I think it may be too dramatic for the O/S to just change to a new system. I was just hoping someone may know a fix to this from personal experience. Thanks for the feedback Danimal :)

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hey since you ported your HDD from your old computer it's not going to work without a fresh install. It's not about the fact that it's a IDE HDD. It has something to do with the core files and drivers that are associated with the current installation of XP on that drive. Sorry about being the berror of bad news.

DANiMALxMD

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
DigitalMicron got it. But if you really want those important files, look for a very cheap external, hook that up to your HP, and get that important stuff off. A clean install is nice though, no ad ware that it came with most likely.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
uhhh, yea,.....

When you install windows XP or any OS, it lays the windows foundation and installs default common chipset and controller drivers which allow it to communicate with your hardware (ie: motherboard, network card, disk controllers, USB, etc.) These drivers are specific to the hardware as it is associated with the OS (Windows XP).

If you simply yank a HD from one computer and put it in another computer that has a totally different, (mobo-chipset, HD controller, network, etc.) You have a 90% chance your operating system will FAIL to boot, as it should.

I have in the past managed to get a (non-associated OS boot drive) to boot onto a totally different computer by doing a reinstall of XP with the factory CD-ROM onto the original location, without having the install delete or try to format my old installation. It has to be in the exact same location. This has the effect of reloading the default standard drivers that most hardware recognizes and then allowing me to boot into XP and installing the hardware specific, chipset and drivers for the new system and maintaining my old setup. It is tricky and you have a 50% chance of success.

If you are unfamiliar with this and not sure you can do this, than your best bet and I would recommend, you put a nice new FAT(big) drive in your C: and install a fresh version of XP and then reinstall your essential software and put your old drive as Drive D: where you will have direct access to any old files you still need and pull all those to your new drive. After you are doing pulling your old files you can than reformat your old drive to clean it out and use it as a spare storage.

bf2142-rules-ok

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
DigitalMicron spot on. No way will windows load after a major change of hardware.Fast 80gb drives are dirt cheap now , if you have gone to trouble of upgrading everything else why run on an old slow drive, get one , install windows to it , attach old drive and then you have access to your old files and you can use it as extra filestorage.If you want to be a bit clever you can partition the new drive , install windows and program files to first one and use second partition to put userdata that should you need to reinstall windows you will not have to wipe the userdata partition.

tgmchuck

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Also if you didn't want to look into buying a new drive, Look up Bart PE on the web. It will create a xp gui based boot CD that will let you copy info of your drive before you reinstall.

leland16

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Awesome feedback, thanks guys!! Im gonna try to do an install of XP and try to keep the old files if possible. I do have them backed up if i cant so thats good. Thanks again guys