Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes/Unfreezes every 7 seconds

Last response: in Motherboards
November 14, 2008 12:47:59 AM

Hi all. This is my first post so let me know if I need to specify in further detail.

My computer goes through intervals of freezing and unfreezing. Once this happens, the computer will run its processes normally for about 7 seconds and then freeze for a second and then resume for another 7 seconds before freezing again. There is no relation b/w the freezing episodes and computer intensive tasks. It will happen when I am gaming or when I am watching a video or something. Problem stops temporarily after reboot.

Here are my specs:
Intel core 2 duo e8400 proc
Gigabyte ds3l ep35 lga 775 mobo
2x2gb 800mhz PC6400 Crucial DDR2 ram
1 TB Deskstar 7K1000 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Sapphire radeon hd4850
Zalman 9700
HEC 585 watt psu
Airlink wireless PCI adapter
Antec 300 case
XP Pro SP3 32-bit

I have ran the 3D mark 06 test for the VC and memtest for the RAM and both have checked out. I've cleaned the registry and defragged the HD. I have also updated my drivers for the wireless adapter, the VC and the motherboard. The only thing I can think of next is to update the BIOS, memtest again and maybe reinstalling windows.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
November 14, 2008 1:03:47 AM

under control panel,system,hardware,device manger is there any flags?
November 14, 2008 1:06:46 AM

hmm not quite sure what you are saying but nothing out of the ordinary
Related resources
November 14, 2008 1:18:51 AM

what op system you using? like a ! or x
November 14, 2008 1:21:54 AM

probably bad drivers or missing files on the windows system folder.
a clean installation of windows indeed.
November 14, 2008 1:26:46 AM

you might want to go to task manager and check the process which is taking more than 50% of the CPU cycle. trace what it is and see if you can remove it if its not neccessary. I had that issue with one of the diskservices from Diskkeeper - ended the proc. then removed it from startup.
a c 253 V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 1:27:55 AM

Start up the task manager. On the performance tab, look at what the various processes are doing. Look for something that activates when you have the problem.
I suspect that you have some sort of a virus or spyware program.
November 14, 2008 2:17:19 AM

1. When it freezes it doesnt catch the uptick in taskmanager.
2. I am running AVG and an uniblue spyware.
3. i have removed items from the startup that are not necessary.
a c 253 V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 3:01:05 AM

On the performance tab, go to the resource monitor. Look for other things than just the CPU. High Disk, network or memory usage can be an indicator.
Is your wireless secured? Could you have someone poaching on it?

How long does the problem last?
November 14, 2008 4:10:17 AM

The wireless is secured. I have not checked how long the problem last. The next time it happens I will let it run and see if it affect the memory usage, network, memory usage and post the results.
November 14, 2008 4:47:34 AM

Maybe you can post screen shots of the programs cpuz and coretemp so we can see if there is anything abnormal.
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 5:14:16 AM

HMMMM,you are not reporting any error messages,therefore there must be a systemic error,are you sure that mobo supports the crucial ram that you have??
the only other items that comes to mind is the psu,can you try another one,and BTW,,have you checked system temps,have you had to do a system a hard or soft reboot recently,,are there any "found" directories on your hdd,if so then you surely will have to reinstall,you can do it right over the existing one..:) 
November 14, 2008 6:18:48 AM

its only happened once today so it has gotten better after I installed the mobo driver. However, the mobo driver didn't solve the problem so I'm not sure what that means.

dokk2 i'm not sure what you mean by "found" directories. thanks though.
a c 253 V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 11:47:58 AM

Every 7 seconds sounds like some task is set up to do something every 7 seconds. Could it be your e-mail waking up to do a send/recieve every 7 seconds? A piece of code checking automatically for updates? HP full blown driver package(vs. driver only) may do this.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2008 8:46:38 PM

did this get resolved?

my computer is doing exactly the same, here is what the task manager is doing

i managed to make it stop for now but dis-enabling my wireless pci card and then re-enabling it, but it will probably start doing it again soon.
!