Sign in with
Your question

Whats with my RAM? WoW lags when loading things into memory?

Last response: in Memory
November 14, 2008 2:39:23 AM

Hey guys. Here are my system specs real fast:

CPU: Core2Duo T9300 @ 2.50 GHz

RAM: 4 GB Memory (Stock with Dell XPS M1530)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Problem: Choppiness, but only occasionally when the game is loading new things into RAM. How can I tell? Because when I am sitting in front of Cenarion Expedition, it is for the most part very smooth on the highest gfx settings. When I turn around or move and the game has to show more things on screen, it lags! I can tell its loading/unloading things from RAM because in Task Manager I can see the RAM usage go up or down)

So, is there a problem with my RAM just being slow? with WoW? Should I upgrade to 64-bit Windows? I'm not really sure what to do to fix this problem.

The card is definetely not the problem in my opinion - I'm able to run games like Crysis and Left4Dead relatively smoothly. Again, WoW seems smooth except when its loading things into memory.
November 14, 2008 2:46:41 AM

vexir said:
Hey guys. Here are my system specs real fast:

CPU: Core2Duo T9300 @ 2.50 GHz

RAM: 4 GB Memory (Stock with Dell XPS M1530)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Problem: Choppiness, but only occasionally when the game is loading new things into RAM. How can I tell? Because when I am sitting in front of Cenarion Expedition, it is for the most part very smooth on the highest gfx settings. When I turn around or move and the game has to show more things on screen, it lags! I can tell its loading/unloading things from RAM because in Task Manager I can see the RAM usage go up or down)

So, is there a problem with my RAM just being slow? with WoW? Should I upgrade to 64-bit Windows? I'm not really sure what to do to fix this problem.

The card is definetely not the problem in my opinion - I'm able to run games like Crysis and Left4Dead relatively smoothly. Again, WoW seems smooth except when its loading things into memory.

download a program called memtest, it checks for errors
November 14, 2008 3:06:15 AM

When a game loads new content into ram it has to read it off the hard drive, a more likely bottleneck. Maybe there is a problem with the drive the game is installed in, the game files could be heavily fragmented, reducing read performance. I would look into that before blaming the problem on ram.
Related resources
a c 105 } Memory
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 14, 2008 3:08:52 AM

I doubt it is ram, since everything else seems to run smoothly.

Turn on the task manager, go to the performance tab, and click on the resource monitor.
Look at the cpu, disk, network and memory resources for your task. I think you will see something blossom.
November 14, 2008 3:43:08 AM

I did see the disk being used very heavily. So what should I do about it?
November 14, 2008 6:28:01 AM

defrag or download a checkdisk program from the company who made your hd, they're free and will tell you if maybe you have a bad sector which will sometimes read slowly for a bit then not work at all. Also since it is WoW, could possibly be a slow connection problem... comp getting info in varying amounts can cause weird things to happen.
November 14, 2008 9:34:38 AM

I've just settled for maxed out settings and draw distance on 50%. Whatever. As long as it runs smoothly, I don't *really* need to see that level 80 warrior coming to rape me up the butt.
a c 105 } Memory
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 14, 2008 11:54:39 AM

vexir said:
I did see the disk being used very heavily. So what should I do about it?

Unless your hard drive is defective, not very much.

What hard drive do you have?
Is it Sata or IDE?

1) Defrag the drive to get things grouped together.
2) Upgrade to a faster drive. or add a second drive.
3) Upgrading to 64 bit is somewhat of a bother, but you would get to use all of your 4gb.
a b } Memory
November 14, 2008 12:21:14 PM

It is your hard drive, not your memory.
Your Dell laptop has a 5400 rpm drive, not exactly speediest of drives.
Access time will be slow when compared to a standard 7200 rpm desktop drive.
To conserve power, it probably also spins the drive down when it's not be accessed, then spins back up as needed, this will cause considerable lagging. Should be able to adjust the power saving features to keep the drive at full spin all the time, if you want.
Vista should be keeping it auto-defragged, but check on this.
There is not a whole lot more you can about it, just one of the things you will have to put up with while gaming on a laptop.......
November 14, 2008 12:30:31 PM

Your problem is you're playing WoW.

Go to your control panel and uninstall. Problem solved.
November 14, 2008 12:38:29 PM

deuce271 said:
Your problem is you're playing WoW.

Go to your control panel and uninstall. Problem solved.

QFT

go play something else lawl.

November 14, 2008 12:46:11 PM

he's playing WoW on a laptop to boot.
a b } Memory
November 14, 2008 12:53:26 PM

Yeah, Dell laptop with 5400 rpm drive. That pretty much explains it.
November 14, 2008 11:31:57 PM

Where would I find those power savings? By the way, my laptop comes standard with a 5400 RPM but in config I opted to get a 7200 RPM drive.
!