Helo choosing fan for TRUE (ultra-120 extreme)

eliil1

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hello!

I need a new fan for my cpu cooler TRUE ,and I need it to be quiet AND cooling as well, I've been thinking about :
1.Scythe S-flex 1600rpm
2.Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15
3.Enermax Apollish
4.Scythe SlipStream 1200rpm

another question : will it help if I instal 2 fans on TRUE ?

oh and are those 3 fans that I mentioned able to lower/increase the RPM according to the cpu temp. ? I don't wanna change the RPM manually =\

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Eli.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
HardOp recommends a pair of ThermalTake Thunderblade A1926 (78cfm, 21dba, 2000rpm, $10).

scythe sff21f (63.7cfm, 28dba, 1600rpm, $13)
scythe sff21e (49cfm, 20.1dba, 1200rpm, $13)
the only enermax i know of that fits is:
enermax enlobal bearing model (44cfm, 17dba, ?rpm, $10)

yes, two is better, one fan pushes into the sync, the other pushes it -- either mount them toward the rear of the case where it exits, or toward the top of the case if you have a blowhole there.

i suggest you spend $13 on a cheap acoustic absorbation mat and stick it onto the inside of your case. it'll cut down the high pitch fan whine extremely well. petrastechshop.com

fan anti-vibration gaskets (usually rubber or silicone) are $3 at jab-tech.com

i honestly cant hear any difference between a case i built with all ~9dba fans and one i built with ~20dba fans. think as long as you stay below ~25dba you should be fine...

eliil1

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Thank you all for helping me.

regarding the air circulation , I was thinking about something like this :

plus a fan on the other side of TRUE which moves air to the rear case fan and they're both the same direction.

one important thing though : are those fans that you mentioned that you mentioned able to lower/increase the RPM according to the cpu temp. ? I don't wanna change the RPM manually ...
btw , I guess what's really important is the fa to be quiet at idle , when I'm playing the games it can be noisy because I listen to the game music anyway.

If I install 2 fans on true , will it still be quiet as with 1 fan?

dsp9753

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
If you go to silentcomputers, they have the math to show that every fan u add around the same frequency adds about 3dB. So 1 fan should about 3db quieter then 2 fans.

I still use my original Thermalright Ultra 120 with a Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm fan. I also installed the same fan on the rear panel.

Adding a second heatsink fan for a push pull effect won't make much difference. Typically the result is a temperature drop of less than one degree. I tried it both ways. It didn't make any difference. Results vary.

Here is a link to a very good web site with useful information about quiet fans:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Personally I prefer the Noctua fans. They push a lot of airflow, at very low noise levels.

As to speed adjustable fans, only 4 pin fans do this. Most MB's only have one four pin fan header. A good quiet fan will not be obvious, say, above the noise level of a WD velocoraptor 300GB drive, even when running on high.

A good website for information is silentpcreview.com.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
also...(something i just learned recently) some fans are not intended to be connected to variable-speed headers; usually because they require a min voltage to spin up which might be more voltage than is supplied.