My internet is running soooo slooowwwww.... help please

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i know this is in the wrong area but really the threads in here arent that interesting anyways... so uninteresting in fact that i havent posted in over 4 months...

anyways for some reason every page loads extremely slowly. I am not really sure what the problem could be. I dont have an anti spyware program which to me seems like the only explanation for the slowdown.

not sure what other information you would require. Internet was going fast, now internet is going slow. lol

thanks for your help

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Try multiple browsers, such as FireFox in addition to IE.
That could help make sure its not an issue with IE.

Try pinging your local router. (Assuming you have some router between you and your ISP.)

Then ping your local ISP router. Then a site like yahoo.

Ping www.yahoo.com -t

Look to see how fast the speeds are.
To give you an idea, I get <1ms go my router.
I get about 15ms to my ISP router.
I get about 120ms to Yahoo.

If there are any lost packets in your test would be telling.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well im not entirely sure if it is happening on game servers, it surely doesn't seem as prominent however it is noticeable. normally i go on cod4, however recently i went back to the good old days of medal of honour allied assault spearhead and on every server i had a ping of over 200+

how does one try a different network card?

and sadly my router and modem are combined. I have ADSL with telus, and the model for the router/modem is... well im not sure but its called 2wire

and how do you ping your local isp router?

and i am using fireferret

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i stream i dont download :p lol + you have to clean out the works somehow without being a prostitute. It fights cancer. 'The more you know' lol

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
hi !

i have another idea :
close everything that uses internet (internet explorer/mozilla/opera messengers, download managers, skype), than type in run cmd, than type in the command windows netstat. be sure to wait ~90sec-s for every connections to be closed. the netstat command will tell you if you have some unknown network connection. maybe somebody sent you a trojan horse and now is uploading or downloading something to your computer.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Like the others have said, I'd ensure there are no torrent type things running in the background (on the rare occasion I have used one of these, it slows my connection down to a crawl, even if the torrent is just trickling the data down).

The other thing I noticed recently was that a recent virus scanner update had installed a web browser add on that verified websites and slowed things considerably.

Karl

americanbrian

Distinguished
Is your connection shared with a flatmate perchance?

Do you use wireless? If so are you running WPA encryption or WEP?

If you are using WEP you may have a piggybacker. Check the MAC table in your router to see everyone who is connected.

More possibilities, are you with Virgin. They scupper your bandwidth on a nightly basis if you reach the limit cap.

Also, are you in a busy area? Have a whole load of people moved in your area recently. The contention ratio for most ISP's is at least 20:1, some are 50:1

This means they can sell 20x or 50x more bandwidth than their equipment can actually provide.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I forgot to mention that you should definitely check your browser with hijack this... It's a freebie and you can check your results online to see if you've got anything bad...

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi OP

If you are not running Windows Vista there are some useful tools here:
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

I use the TCP optimiser program myself (on Windows XP x64) and it is very useful. Especially if you are sending packets that are slightly too big for the link to your ISP... I can't use a 1500 byte MTU since switching to 8Mbit/sec DSL - it needs to be set slightly lower. Also it's worth tuning your TCP receive window (which is a bit low by default) and setting the cache time for DNS failures to 0 (why store something when it's wrong - typical M$ logic there!!)

I hope you find those optimising tools useful...

Bob

Aurora18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
if its wireless it could also be passive interference

perhaps (if its wireless) something changed recently to mess with your signal

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
That is a useful tip for optimizing, bob. But I think he has got a real problem at his hand since the performance is really bad.

Has anyone suggested to turn all sorts of addons for the browser off?

bobwya

May 21, 2005

If your connection has slowed down (you know ISP taking on more people than it can handle, etc.) then you really need to set your MTU correctly (that is pretty critical). Also upping the receive window size for your TCP connections will help. Every x number of packets you need to send an ACK packet back to a website (etc.) to say that you have received that block of data. If x is too low than the external IP/website will wait send a small block then sit waiting for your ACK packet. Setting the receive window higher can help mask a high bandwidth broadband connection which also has a high latency. Out of the box Windows XP is setup for a dial-up connection (hmmm... no comment :pt1cable: )...

What browser addons are you are thinking of? AVG 8 link scanner I presume? Your best bet is to try turning stuff off that you don't need and see if there is any difference on your system (since it's all subjective and relative, etc.)!!

Have you tried using Opera? It doesn't always render pages correctly but it's lighter on the ol' CPU than Firefox and it's fast.

Bob

dg6464

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Make sure your wireless is secure... Sounds like you have a neighbour using it for downloading or something. I would disconnect power to your ADSL modem / router combo, and leave it for a minute or so, then reset it. There are so many things that could be checked, but go over the basics first. Is your router blinking like CRAZY when no internet / network traffic is being sent across your network? Have you tried another PC on your network that is known-good (this tells you if it's your PC / browser / NIC Card ect..)? If another PC is still slow, it's probably your ISP, or a neighbour on your wireless. Give more details once you check the basics, and we'll go from there.

Try these steps:

Goto www.speedtest.net and run a test or two there. List what your download speeds are (in Kb/sec).

Open up the start menu, goto run, and type cmd (or command in vista). At the prompt, enter "ping www.google.com -t" This will ping google over and over, and report how long it took to get a reply. Copy a portion of that promt (ping at least 20 times first) and paste it here. In general, and ping much over 100 indicates there is a connection issue somewhere.

Next, (also in the command prompt) try "tracert www.google.com". This will show how long it took, and how many jump over the network it takes to connect to google. This is a good way to see if there is a connection issue farther down the connection (ie, not your fault). Paste that here as well.

Once we get an idea of the pings, we can start to narrow down a few of the issues.