Recovering a RAID 0 partition

bpdski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I have an ASUS motherboard that died and I had a hardware RAID 0 partition setup using the onboard controller. Does anyone know if it's possible to recover the partition somehow and get the data off? There were a few things on it I hadn't backup up recently. The hard drives are fine, so I'm wondering how I can put it back together so I can get the data off.

Thanks,
Brian

Pacidermiz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I too, have a failed ASUS. did yours turn on, fans, lights, then no action? Did you have to pull the power plug to get it to turn off? I had an A8N-SLI delux. The cause is the BIOS chip, if you can't flash it back to health- you can buy a new one from ASUS. Its the 1/2" chip in the socket. Look up "socketed IC" "Socketed BIOS". These are SENSITIVE to ESD, so follow good practice for sure. That's the easiest way. I wanted a new system so- Anyway, I have the same problem. My new ASUS board doesn't use the silicon image controller. Uses the AMD SB750. AMD, no hope of tech support, or even a manual from those guys. So...
1) Try flashing your BIOS from USB. Do it, its a good skill to learn. Start with HP's drive key boot utility and follow the forrums from there.
2) get a replacement BIOS for your old MoBo
3) buy an add in/PCI card that has the same controller as your old MoBo's controller- prices vary. But that will work, at least long enough to back up your data.
4) Be like me, get a third drive, install your windows, some Ubuntu linux, and dredge the forums for help. Then when I get the RAID re-initialized (I WILL- because that's how much free time I have), I go for RAID 5, and neve, ever, ever do data striping without back up again. Boy, we just love learning the hard way. Check back in a week. I'll have found something or given up the ghost.
Try Ubuntu- if you can swing a Raid, you can boot a live Ubuntu disk- and it doesn't touch the affected hard drives. Nice, huh?