Sign in with
Your question

Best Security Suite for 2011

Last response: in Windows XP
December 30, 2010 6:37:53 PM

Hello,

I have been using Trend, but the reviews are really bad for their new 2011 product Titanium. So looking for a new Security Suite for 2011. Any Suggestions are welcome. Please include details as why you would choose a particular one. I need to change no later then January 7, 2011

Thank you :wahoo: 

More about : security suite 2011

December 30, 2010 7:09:52 PM

Try kasperksy, though I've used trend micro for ages and will probably at least give 2011 a try. Kaspersky internet security suite is a pretty nice all in one product, and doesnt seem to be a system resource hog. I'd choose it over some of the other big names such as symantec or mcafee any day. Some of its nifty features don't work for 64Bit os, so be aware of that, though the same can be said for most products out there.

Cheers!
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:58:39 AM

I have used Trend since the very first PCcillin, however read the community forum on their website, and reviews in the various PC magazine. No one seems to be happy with the 2011 Titanium product. Does not solve the problems with being a resource hog, they took away most options for the user where it would have been much better to have an advanced user and let you make your security settings that work best for you.

I will check out Kasperksy, another one that I read some good reviews on is webroot. Spy sweeper has worked good for me. But have not tried their security suite. But from the reviews their 2011 version is good.

Anyone else have any comments.

m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
December 31, 2010 3:20:18 AM

Believe it or not, Microsoft has finally cracked this problem and brought out a working version of their own AV - Microsoft Security Essentials. I've tested it against several known threats and found it to be quite effective.

Along with the Windows firewall (most routers have hardware firewalls anyway) and a good anti-malware resident like MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot, your suite is complete and completely free although donations are welcome to some of the above.

m
l
December 31, 2010 6:48:55 AM

Saga Lout said:

Believe it or not, Microsoft has finally cracked this problem and brought out a working version of their own AV - Microsoft Security Essentials. I've tested it against several known threats and found it to be quite effective.

Along with the Windows firewall (most routers have hardware firewalls anyway) and a good anti-malware resident like MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot, your suite is complete and completely free although donations are welcome to some of the above.

The free setups are not as good as the the best paid ones. But it is true that many paid are no better than free and in some cased worse.

The aforementioned Kaspersky is and has been a great choice for some years now. Its great as both a stand alone AV and suite. Tough on virus, rootkits, and nice intrusion control.

I am a big fan of Outpost security suite and their stand alone firewall because of its superb and very flexible firewall/intrusion control system. Its a power users dream because it doesn't try to automate everything like so many suites and firewalls out there and is very very flexible. There is not a firewall that I have seen that comes close and I have worked with many. Might be a bit much for the average computer user, but if you know what your doing, Outpost is breathtakingly awesome. And its friendly with other security programs if you like to mix and match. There is a free version, but I don't know how or if it differs significantly from the paid one.

If your looking fore just pure classic virus signature detection ability, GDATA would have to the best. They use dual enegines and have the highest virus detection rate in almost every review in which they participate. And that is not an exaggeration. I have lost count of how many times they catch 99.9 or 99.8 percent of virus samples that bla bla bla lab threw at it.

There are lots of other great choices, but those are my three picks for best firewall (outpost), best antivirus(GDATA), and best all around (Kaspersky).
m
l
December 31, 2010 8:31:20 AM

Well for me a good antivirus software is the one who can catch a virus, a good firewall is the one which blocks an intrusion - definitely it is like that.

How about this:
1. Always update your windows.
2. Windows Firewall must be ON.
3. Install a Microsoft Security Essentials.
4. Never log in as an Administrator (Even if you install the Best Antivirus on any review sites but you still give me options to peek a hole into your system) I guess I own you.
5. Surf wisely - stay away on unhealthy sites.

This will give malwares a few options or none at all to intrude your computer.
m
l
January 1, 2011 5:34:37 PM

I recommend Kaspersky PURE. It doesn't let u go on websites that have viruses on them. And it keept me save for about 1 year.
m
l
January 1, 2011 10:58:37 PM

Quote:
Well why didn't Norton who currently has the best detection rates according to the labs they pay to test didn't accept Komodos challenge to a showdown after they made the same statement. Yes the ones who offer paid suited free versions are not as good as their paid ones. That can be understandable otherwise how are they going to sell their products.

The disturbing factor was when the security suites was tested by hackers throwing malware at it and not some reviewing site or some site claiming to be independent testers the security software detection rate came down from 50 percent by the so called independent testers to a mere 3 percent!

Another problem they are facing are the AV databases are getting too big. One of these days old malware signatures are going to be discarded to make space for new ones

You clearly have a bridge to sell when you argue that Norton only does well because is pays reviewers.

No independent tester has Norton catching 50 percent of know threats.

And no, Norton is not first in signature detection. GDATA is.

If your going to make ridiculous claims like this, you had better source them.

And no, antiviral databased are not getting too big. Computers get faster with more memory and disk space over time which allows them to deal with larger databases. But yes there are limits to signature detection.

m
l
January 9, 2011 4:51:59 PM

Thanks for all that great information, That will help me tremendously as to protect my self and 5 computers.
m
l
October 22, 2011 2:15:27 PM

What about the latest version of ESET Smart Security (5)? I've used ESET NOD32 AV for some time, Newegg had the last of version 4 Smart Security (3 PC's) for $29.99, free shipping. I took it, will replace NOD32 in Feb 2012 (when NOD32 expires). It will upgrade to the latest version.

ESET NOD32 AV has been fairly well on my resources, considering it's a budget CPU, with only max 1.5GHz speed. During a full scan, my CPU hits 30-40%, with only minimal other programs running (SuperAntiSpyware Pro) & Windows Defender.

Hopefully, the Smart Security suite will be as kind on resources.

Cat
m
l
!