SLI on X58 - without NF200 bridge chip (but NOT on AMD 790s)

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Motherboard makers who wish to have their X58 boards certified for SLI will have to submit their products for testing in Nvidia's Santa Clara certification lab, and those boards must pass basic testing for functionality, slot placement, and the like. Certification will not be free, either. Board makers will have to select from a menu of licensing options available to them. Certified boards will also be required to display an "SLI Certified" logo on their boxes and other marketing materials.

Once a board is certified, Nvidia will provide the board maker with an approval key (called a "cookie") that it must embed in the system BIOS. The combination of this approval key and an X58 chipset will then unlock SLI support in Nvidia's ForceWare driver software. Nvidia acknowledged to us up front that users would more than likely hack the BIOSes of non-certified X58 boards and add "cookies" to them, but said it won't get in the way of such things. The certification program is intended for motherboard and PC makers, and end-users' actions don't appear to be a big source of concern.

anandatech.com got the perfect title for this.....hell did froze ova....
and if someone does manage 2 hack it out.....well, its gona be sad for nvidia....but excellent for the market

It will be interesting to see what the price differential between the standard X58 and the SLI "certified" versions will be like.

The board MFGRs might think about using the SLI "certified" option on the just higher end boards.
Think Asus RAMPAGE FORMULA $300 and Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 $280 vs Asus P5E Deluxe $220 and Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 $225.
Could you update an Asus P5E Deluxe with Asus RAMPAGE FORMULA BIOS and get SLI for "free"?

Of course that assumes Nvidia would come out with some graphics cards that might tempt one to try an alternate BIOS in the first place.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Why/who would want SLi on an AMD chipset in the first place? Nvidia's little plans dont even matter in that arena.

You buy AMD chipsets for stability, features and Crossfire. You buy AMD nvidia boards for SLi. And to be honest with you I personally think the Nvidia boards for AMD are so much better than the ones for Intel, in features and stability, AND price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+107192495+1071936149&Configurator=&Subcategory=22&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&Order=BESTMATCH&srchInDesc=

Check out the Foxconn Destroyer, 3-way SLi, snazzy looking cooling, and about a million cables and SLi links for $244. Even the $190 ASRock is nice.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Fanboy? Of what exactly, genius? Ive only ever owned ONE AMD processor my whole life, and my current build is an Intel if you bothered to glance down about an inch at my sig. This is also my first ATI card after.......6 years of Nvidia. I dont want to hear any fanboy ****. Best bang for the buck is all that matters to me.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
:D

Brand loyalty means nothing to me, I just want whats the best deal for my dollar. What I said might have been a little harsh in regards to SLi on AMD chipset, but in turn I defended Nvidia by complimenting their AMD boards.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
In terms of reliability Both Intel and AMD chipsets are very good, with the exception of Nvidia on Intel's platform. I believe that the second that nvidia comes out with a decent card in terms of price/perf vs ATI, most of the motherboard manufacturers will have Nvidia certification. Until Nvidia can release something worthwhile, I would expect most of the motherboard manufacturers to forgo the extra cost of the certification.

rener

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

Actually the Destroyer has 4way SLI