can't edit HDD info in BIOS

rex241

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Okay, first the basics:

HP Pavilion dv2988se Notebook PC//Vista 64 pre-installed//2x Intel Core2duo T5750 @ 2.00GHz//Intel ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI (82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI)//Phoenix F.2B 07may2008

During startup my listed options are:
esc- enable startup messages f1 startup information f2 startup check f9 change boot device order
f10 bios setup options f11 system recovery

under f10 the menus are:
main - under which i can only alter/look-at: time; date; diagnostic log
security - admin and power-on passwords are only things here
sys config - language; button sound; processor C4 state; boot options (which is the same as f9 above)
diag - tests for memory and hard drive
exit - duh!

Soooo, is there an F# perhaps not listed in the startup process that allows greater control, or would changing my BIOS maybe give me more options.

REX

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Indeed +1

That is my biggest gripe with OEM/Boxed Computers second only to usually crappy video cards included.

And when you say edit HDD info, What exactly are you trying to change?

Are you trying to Partition it? or change its name? Turn a feature off or on...etc

rex241

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm trying to install XP SP2 along with my Vista 64.

In the Storage> Hard Disk forum I'm addressing this as well you can follow my huge successes there if you so desire! Basically, some people have suggested editing the BIOS to read or not read SATA or RAID or AHCI, etc. many options none of which I can try in the BIOS.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
So you are trying to partition it then, that can be achieved during the setup process.

nevermind I read the other post...much more interesting though then a simple partitioning.