How to recover my documents after recovery

mcarter615

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I had an IT guy look at my comp..( Compaq 1950)..after the mouse froze on screeen, and while doing a system restore they keyboard stop working...he took it and i asked him to save my documents and pics b4 he did anything, ( he told me he did)..and after a week and half he said he just ran a couple scans on it . but he had saved a copy of my hard drive....i took it some where else to have it checked out and when they turned it on, it was 1/2 way thru a reformat...it had XP on it ...but he couldn't get xp to reinstall...so he installed windows 7 on it ...my question is ..is there anyway to recover my pics or documents ?

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
If you formated and then install windows 7, no not wiithout a professional recovery.
If the IT person said they backed up your documents, I would ask them for the CD that they should have burned everything unto.
What they should have done is just save your original hard drive as a slave and purchase a new hard drive to install Windows onto. You could have then, used a partition recovery to restore your previous partition with all your files even after it was formated.
You can also ask if they stored your files on a different partition. Try opening your Windows disk manager and see if there's another partition.
Wish you luck.

mcarter615

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
WELL I HAVE TRIED FOR A WEEK AND HALF TO GET HIM TO ANSWER HIS PHONE...HE TOLD ME THE ONLY WAY HE COULD GET MY STUFF IS IF I BOUGHT A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.....HE SAYS TOO MUCH INFO. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT CANT FIT ON A CD...TS ONLY DOCUMENTS AND PICTURES...I HAVE STORED A YRS. WORTH OF PICS AND DOCUMENTS ON 1 CD BEFORE....AND I AM TRYING ANOTHER WAY TO RECOVER IT WITHOUT MESSING WITH HIM...BECUASE IT WILL TAKE FOREVER AND HE'S BEING A DICK ABOUT IT ANYWAY

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Just purchase a new 500gig or a 1Tb hard drive and give it to him to copy over your info. Make sure that you wait for him to finish.
You can alway use the extra drive as a backup.
Good luck

mcarter615

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
IF I CAN'T GET IT FROM HIM , HOW CAN I DO A PROFESSIONAL RECOVERY ? AND HOW MUCH WOULD THAT COST ? OR IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO RECOVERY MY DOCUMENTS, . .I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I WOULD NEED THAT MUCH MEMORY JUST FOR PICS AND WORD DOCUMENTS