Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 and Win XP help (install question)

Last response: in Windows XP
December 31, 2010 3:23:53 AM

I have XP now on a 1TB HD with a lot of stuff I cant back up somewhere else, I want to run 7 on a smaller HD I have (32 or 64bit im not sure which yet). If I install Win 7 on the smaller HD will all of my files still work? I understand that programs will need to be reinstalled. Even with 32bit? Is this a wise thing to do? Help! thanks.
December 31, 2010 6:36:49 AM

vinyard0330 said:
I have XP now on a 1TB HD with a lot of stuff I cant back up somewhere else, I want to run 7 on a smaller HD I have (32 or 64bit im not sure which yet). If I install Win 7 on the smaller HD will all of my files still work? I understand that programs will need to be reinstalled. Even with 32bit? Is this a wise thing to do? Help! thanks.

Yes of course they will. Though windows protects many files in user account folders from this type of access, you could just reduce the account privileges of that particular account or just copy data somewhere where you can access it.

As for 64 vs 32, I would go 64 bit on the 7 install and just dual boot with XP. I like XP better as a 32 bit OS anyways. Should you require 32 bit for any reason, just run it on XP. Seems redundant to do 2 32 bit installs.

In case you don't know how to set up a dual boot system in this case, just add your new hard drive to the system which already has XP. Leave the XP drive in. Install 7 to the new drive and it will automatically detect the XP install on the other drive and create a boot menu which will allow you to select the OS at boot.
m
l
!