Intel Core i7 (Nehalem): Architecture By AMD? : Introduction

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Intel Core i7 (Nehalem): Architecture By AMD? : Introduction

"As has been the case with each new architecture for several years now, Intel has also added new SSE instructions to Nehalem. The architecture supports SSE 4.2, components of which appear to be borrowed from AMD’s K10 micro-architecture. ."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-i7-nehalem,2041.html

Good going Tom. It's about time you post an article that shows who's copying who

Is Tom an AMD fanboy?

Ok, lock the thread! Because some people can't handle the truth.

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/lol.gif

So they have one instruction set in SSE 4.2 that is in AMD CPUs. AMD also uses MMX which is Intel. Your point?

AMD doesn't even have full SSE 4 instructions, unless that has changed. They have SSE 4a from what I read and plan on adding more with SSE 4b.

Nehalems architecture is not made ny AMD. In fact it still has its base in Pentium M/Core which is Pentium III based. It has a IMC yes but that was coming and besides its a more advanced 192bit memory controller compared to AMDs 128bit.

It has QPI but from what I have read it is not eexactally the same as HTT. It has its on way of connecting devices and is much faster than current HTT is only matched by HTT 3.1 which should come out with Deneb from what I have read.

The article is nothing about copying. You took one statement and twisted it to your own means.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
LOL, Intel borrowing SSE4.2 from AMD? WTF?!

AMD doesn't even have the full SSE4 instructions, just a small subset called SSE4a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4
SSE4 subsets

Intel SSE4 consists of 54 instructions. A subset consisting of 47 instructions, referred to as SSE4.1 in some Intel documentation, is available in Penryn. Additionally, SSE4.2, a second subset consisting of the 7 remaining instructions, will first be available in Core i7 (formerly Nehalem). Intel, unusually, credits feedback from developers as playing an important role in the development of the instruction set.

AMD also added two new SSE instructions that it named SSE4a. These instructions are not found in Intel's processors supporting SSE4.1 and alternatively AMD processors are not supporting Intel's SSE4.1. Support was added for SSE4a for unaligned SSE load-operation instructions (which formerly required 16-byte alignment).[3]

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
3a066hellovaderpt5-1.jpg

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Sorry some one wake me when something exciting comes out...

Hey AMD fans - have some thing interesting to say...

Instead of rambling on about how the ever so fantastic has copied Intel is only one way is again in the middle of a denial process.

failatlifecard.gif

FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
FLAMEBAIT ALERT!
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Actually I am more interested in the latency betwwen the caches and hopefully someone with a brain like Scott W will publish an article on it.

I am also interested in the efficiency of the memory controller.

I also asked about the loop stream detector ... nothing so far.

I havn't received any decent comments in the section at the end of the article so hopefully one of the engineering peopke who have been following the K10 and I7 architectural briefs would like to comment.

I found the article quite good.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
as ever, everyone is just copying everyone else - I mean its so unfair you are using the language that was invented in England People! the fact that it has been changed large amounts and is an obvious solution to a given problem apparently means nothing.....

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

The English language is membered as a Germanic language in the Indoeuropean family of languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_languages

Thats because English has large roots in Germanic while mixing Latin in it too. The difference between Enlgish and most other languages is that there is not he or she with basic objects like in Spanish for example.

Remember England was founded by a mix of Reomanic and Germanic people so the mix in language made English.

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
You are correct...some can't handle the truth....but you can't hide it

AMD cannot take any legal proceedings because of some licensing agreement. AMD has been producing countless innovative technologies in recent years. Who cares if AMD copied Intel years ago....the student has almost certainly outdone the teacher! Intel realized their FSB was old and that doublecheeserburger quads were not the future......AMD understood the future with more integrated technologies like hypertransport....AMD leads Intel in server technology as a result. Nehalem...or should I say K10 clone will offer similar technologies. I wouldn't worry AMD will yet again produce something new in the future......then no doubt Intel will copy it.

Then why is AMD in such a bad financial position? You ask...because of Intels Anti-competitive behavior.

AMD are the Masters! AMD the moral choice!!

AMD4Life!!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

Well Thunder-kou, can you explain why AMD's marketshare increased during Intel's alleged "Anti-competitive behavior", and AMD's marketshare has been falling ever since Intel stopped this practice?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well, to be fair, Intel wouldn't even exist if it weren't for AMD.

AMD invented electricity. Jerry Sanders used this invention to send a spark through the primordial ooze to create life itself.

LMFAO. Thats a good one.