Should I go by voltage settings in bios or what CPU-z reads

harry88

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I have my vcore set to 1.375v in bios and CPU-z reads 1.328v. As a general rule when Intel states 1.375v is the max safe CPU voltage for the Core I7 920 do they mean settings in bios or what programs like CPU-z read? Also do you think 1.375v for vcore is to much for 24/7? My max core temps are 73,72,70,68 when running the prime95 small FFT test. I manually set all other voltages to stock settings except QPI/VTT which I set to 1.220v to get this 920 to 4.2Ghz.

ubernoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
you should go by both because the bios is correct able the voltage but when load happens, [strike]theres vdroop and vdroop is like something to prevent the heat from going too high and protects the cpu incase of noise from the psu rail could harm your cpu. Use cpu-z to find the vdrooped voltage but always refer to the bios[/strike]
I think 1.375v is too much but thats my recommendation but try to keep temps under 65C load for 24/7

CompuTronix

Intel Master
ubernoobie,

Your definition of Vdroop is not even close. Please read the following Intel document: Vdroop Explained - http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

harry88,

Your Vdroop is masive. You should have Line / Load Calibration enabled. Vcore load as displayed in CPU-Z is the most relevant value. Also, what is your ambient? Your Core temperatures are very close to the limit, which is 73c.

Comp :sol:

harry88

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Ambient temps are mid 70's, I'm gonna back down to 4.1ghz. I can do that with much lower vcore. I'm not to sure about LLC, there's many contradicting opinions about it and I'm just not sure how safe it is.

harry88

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

I'm using the same board, it must be a Gigabyte thing :lol:

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009

What idle/load temps should he safely shoot for? Use both cpuz *and* bios? ...i've always trusted bios a little more... hmmm

CompuTronix

Intel Master
rkaye,

Load is obviously much more important than idle, which is 73c Core temperature (Tjunction), and which I've already stated, as you've even quoted me. However, concerning BIOS temperature, which is CPU temperature (Tcase Max), Intel's specification is 68c.

Comp :sol: