Sign in with
Your question

Case = 3 Pin PwrLed connector &Mobo wants one with 2 pins?

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2008 11:21:22 PM

Hi, recently purchased a foxconn mobo and an antec sonata III case. The case has a 3 pin PWR LED connector but the motherboard only designates 2 pins for this type of connector, If I use all 3 pins I interfere with the power switch connector by moving it down to use an unallocated pin labeled as empty. What should I do? obviously I could leave the PWR led unconnected, or is that empty slot put in their to compensate for situations like this. Im just being cautious, I've never ran into this and i've built multiple systems I don't want to short it out because of something so stupid. The 3 pin goes green/blank(no cord)/empty. Thanks.
August 5, 2008 11:29:15 PM

Some MBs provide both a 3 pin and 2 pin header, some don't. Some cases also provide both leads. Can you take a 2 pin female connector from an old case and replace your current 3 pin PWR LED connector with it?
August 6, 2008 12:01:03 AM

Well the only spare case I have has a + PWRLEd and - PWRLEd seperate, which would probably work but how would I go about switching them? you don't think there's any possibility the three pin will work as is? Thanks.
Related resources
August 6, 2008 12:06:03 AM

Have you checked your MB closely to see if there is a 2 pin PWR LED header in addition to the 3 pin? If you have a 2 pin female plug, splice the wires and connect it to the case lead for the PWR LED.
August 6, 2008 12:34:15 AM

I make this change all the time. You will need an Xacto knife or some other very thin object. Look at the case connector plastic. You should notice that the metal socket pin is held in the plastic by a thin leaf.

Use an Xacto knife or whatever tool will work and lift up the leaf slightly; pull the wire out with socket connector still attached. Hopefully I do not need to state be careful not to cut yourself. Move the wire over to the center slot and on 90 percent of all motherboards you should now be able to slide it on to the Berg pins with the now empty slot hanging over the edge.

Remember to please note which is plus and which is minus because that will guide your decision on which wire to move. White is normally the case minus wire if it is not stamped on the connector.

I have performed this little trick dozens of times during system builds that I have done personally or aided someone with the same problem.
August 6, 2008 3:38:04 AM

There is no other 2 pin header, however I find it odd that its a 10 pin block with the 5 on the left taken up by HDD led (takes 2) Reset SW (takes 2) the final pin says Nc (no charge im guessing?). Then on the right its allocated for PWR led (2 pin) and PWR SW (2 pin) but the final pin says Empty. Not NC. Why would they leave an empty pin unlike the other NC pin? And azimuth, my friend also said to cut it and such, but I don't want to do harm. Your saying simply move the pin which is interfering into the empty middle socket of the 3 pin header so that an empty slot now hangs off the 10 pin header rather than taking up one of the spots allocated for powerSW for exmaple.. (hope im not confusing). Thanks.
December 10, 2009 12:38:06 AM

azimuth40 said:
I make this change all the time. You will need an Xacto knife or some other very thin object. Look at the case connector plastic. You should notice that the metal socket pin is held in the plastic by a thin leaf.

Use an Xacto knife or whatever tool will work and lift up the leaf slightly; pull the wire out with socket connector still attached. Hopefully I do not need to state be careful not to cut yourself. Move the wire over to the center slot and on 90 percent of all motherboards you should now be able to slide it on to the Berg pins with the now empty slot hanging over the edge.

Remember to please note which is plus and which is minus because that will guide your decision on which wire to move. White is normally the case minus wire if it is not stamped on the connector.

I have performed this little trick dozens of times during system builds that I have done personally or aided someone with the same problem.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this just fixed my prob!!!! Major kudos
!