Sign in with
Your question

I hear AMD is coming out with 12 cores,whos excited? --questions

Last response: in Overclocking
September 27, 2009 9:34:04 PM

I'm quite excited,due to that i heard they are proxy the 8 and going towards 12,oh and it's coming out in the first half of 2010...i guess around the time im graduating and going to college for 3d design.

So should i hold out till then ,and upgrade when 12 cores come out,or just get quad core phenom now?

Who wants to be the first guy on the block to get these and over clock them to the moon,then mars and back?
September 27, 2009 9:50:42 PM

I think the 12 core CPUs will target the server market since typical desktop applications and games can't make use of that many cores. It wouldn't be very useful in a desktop anyway because you'd get more performance out of a quad core with higher clocks than a 12 core. They'll be very expensive also.
m
l
September 27, 2009 9:52:47 PM

paranoidmage said:
I think the 12 core CPUs will target the server market since typical desktop applications and games can't make use of that many cores. It wouldn't be very useful in a desktop anyway because you'd get more performance out of a quad core with higher clocks than a 12 core. They'll be very expensive also.

^^^ this

ive got a q6600 and it will more than satisfy me until sandy bridge and bulldozer drop in 2010

12 cores is really only useful with multiple VMs on a server.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2009 11:54:22 PM

^ Or renderings, CFD,etc.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 5:00:45 AM

well lets see can it play tf2 any faster than my e8600 @ 4.8ghz? then im not excited :p , will be good when games finally get more optimized but until then oh well
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 5:36:17 AM

Games will start getting more and more tuned to multiple cores. When intel comes out with gulftown, it will have 6 cores with HT (12 cores). So they will have to start making some more multi threaded apps.
m
l
September 28, 2009 5:42:53 AM

Actually, at the moment, Hyper-V is the only VM that makes use of multiple cores for VM's (I could be wrong since I haven't looked into it for a year). Hyper-V also only allows 4 cores per VM max. Therefore, for a virtualization server, I would recommend no more than an overclocked quad core setup. W3520's are cheaper and can overclock higher. Eventually, if I ever have time, I'll split up my E5520's (currently in a dual socket motherboard), and make two virtualization servers out of them (one for server vm's, and the other for desktop vm's the way I have them now on different hard drive partitions). I'll have to try and see how well they overclock, their stock frequency is at 2.26 GHz vs. W3520's 2.66 GHz.

I've ran a stable windows 2008 with hyper-v on my desktop (i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz and non ECC RAM) and it's fine. I don't see the need for an 8 Core virtualization server, much less 12 Cores (I turned hyperthreading off since I run SQL Server on them, which isn't optimized for it).
m
l
September 28, 2009 5:52:02 AM

overshocked said:
Games will start getting more and more tuned to multiple cores. When intel comes out with gulftown, it will have 6 cores with HT (12 cores). So they will have to start making some more multi threaded apps.

I am really doubting games utilizing multiple cores.
1. The majority of the pc gaming population have no more than 2 cores on their gaming system. Imagine all the people they'd lose out selling their game to because the target consumers don't have the hardware to play it? Heck, most people are still using 32-bit OS's.
2. Software is way behind the CPU/GPU market in utilizing multi-threaded apps. I mean, Intel i5 and i7 820's and AMD Phenom II x4 620's? They're slowing down so that the consumers and applications can catch up to them.
m
l
September 28, 2009 6:17:27 AM

blakdart said:
I'm quite excited,due to that i heard they are proxy the 8 and going towards 12,oh and it's coming out in the first half of 2010...i guess around the time im graduating and going to college for 3d design.

So should i hold out till then ,and upgrade when 12 cores come out,or just get quad core phenom now?

Who wants to be the first guy on the block to get these and over clock them to the moon,then mars and back?

???And where did you 'heard' that AMD is releasing a twelve core in the first half of 2010???
m
l
September 28, 2009 11:31:20 AM

is that true,im also so excite to change from intel to amd i can wait to see the upcoming 12 cores.what the great thing to hear.lots and lots boosting power.and for use 3 times power than Q processor.
m
l
September 28, 2009 10:31:20 PM

El_Capitan said:
I am really doubting games utilizing multiple cores.
1. The majority of the pc gaming population have no more than 2 cores on their gaming system. Imagine all the people they'd lose out selling their game to because the target consumers don't have the hardware to play it? Heck, most people are still using 32-bit OS's.

But they do have the hardware to play multi-threaded games. The games will eventually be optimized for multiple cores, but will run fine on dual core machines.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 11:29:31 PM

overshocked said:

They seriously better, or the consumers are gonna have to go on a head-busting spree.

Also, every time I see your sig, I can hear that e8500 crying.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 11:33:27 PM

This will be great for GTA IV knowing how it nukes the i7 and the consoles.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 11:36:31 PM

GTAIV doesn't nuke the consoles because on the PS3/360 it looks like a PS2 game.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 11:38:42 PM

It can cry all it wants, 4.93Ghz from a $100 chip is sweet.
I'd do it too if my motherboard would let me. It wont let me have more than 1.56V :(  My e8500 is stable at 4.37 on air, could do more but needs voltage :( 

Anywho 12 core chip is probably for server use, it'd be silly in a desktop PC as most games only use 2-4. It would be very power hungry and very hot. BUT it would be fantastic for video editing etc

Having 12 cores on a single die (when the current 4 cores are hot enough) is not going to overclock well unless they've had some major advances (if they have, then that's awesome).

So yeah I'm not jumping up and down about it, still cool though. I'm hanging out for some AMD compeition ass whooping material. I just want newer architectures, not more cores.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2009 11:40:01 PM

nforce4max said:
This will be great for GTA IV knowing how it nukes the i7 and the consoles.

It has trouble running on the PC because it's a dodgy 'how quick can we do this' port rather than a PC game. It was made for games consoles. Also GTA:IV will not make use of any more than 4 CPU cores at best, the other 8 cores will sit there idling away.
m
l
September 29, 2009 12:18:53 AM

SpidersWeb said:
It can cry all it wants, 4.93Ghz from a $100 chip is sweet.

I think he was referring to the 5.41 GHz E8500 with 1.87 V on dry ice. It's crying.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2009 12:41:47 AM

paranoidmage said:
I think he was referring to the 5.41 GHz E8500 with 1.87 V on dry ice. It's crying.

You are correct.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2009 2:21:58 AM

Ahh gotya, my bad.
m
l
September 29, 2009 3:47:51 AM

overshocked said:

as a CS major, that many threads is NOT an easy task, except in calculation heavy algorithms (video encoding, pure math, physics)

though i guess with that many cores + opencl you could use some of the free ones for physics
m
l
September 29, 2009 2:45:06 PM

mindless728 said:
as a CS major, that many threads is NOT an easy task, except in calculation heavy algorithms (video encoding, pure math, physics)

though i guess with that many cores + opencl you could use some of the free ones for physics

Until we have quad-cores that are on the same price of the low dual-cores, it'd be quite a bit of time before we see a boatload of games that fully utilize them. It is possible to make highly threaded, efficient games it is only a question of where the most money could be made.

Nothing is difficult, so long as a boatload of money is your primary motivation.
m
l
!