Sign in with
Your question

P5Q - Driver Issue: "Inf Update"

Last response: in Motherboards
November 14, 2008 9:58:39 PM

Hello,

I recently had a PC custom-built using a P5Q for the mobo. I finished installing an OS and started loading the drivers off the ASUS disc. At first, I used this silly "InstALL" application that's supposed to install all your drivers at once. The first item on the list was something like "Intel Inf Chipset Update". After hanging at "installing" for a couple of minutes the computer reset without any prompt. After the PC booted back up, it continued to say "installing" for another couple of minutes at which point I decided I would just install everything manually.

I canceled the installer (may or may not have been in the middle of something) and installed the rest of the drivers manually with no problem. Now, in the InstALL window, all drivers, including the Inf Update, are listed as installed.

My question is, will there be any issue if the Inf Update is installed improperly now? I would uninstall it and reinstall, just to be sure, but it doesn't show up in the add/remove programs window.

What exactly is it, anyway? Is it a driver, or a program that updates drivers on its own? Is it firmware-related? I can't seem to find a description of it.

I'd rather not have to reformat already, but I obviously want to avoid any bad firmware updates.

Thanks,

-John07
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 10:48:05 PM

You can go to Intel's website and go to the download section for your chipset. There you will find the latest inf update (which is most definitely more recent than the one on your Asus disc) and you can install it manually. That should take care of any concerns about the inf update not installing things correctly before.
November 14, 2008 10:53:38 PM

Thanks for your response :) 

I checked out the Intel website, and the latest version of this software is actually the same one, apparently.

Whenever I try to re-install it just skips to the "installation complete" screen, so I'm still not sure if it's properly installed or screwed up somewhere in the middle and just thinking it's complete.

I'm still trying to figure out what this software does. Is it simply a driver, or is it some kind of automated update-checker?

Thanks,

-John07
Related resources
November 15, 2008 1:31:51 AM

normal for most intel asus mobos - asus is lazy and uses old drives with vista bug

i seen that for over year with most mobos
November 15, 2008 2:09:07 AM

dragonsprayer said:
normal for most intel asus mobos - asus is lazy and uses old drives with vista bug

i seen that for over year with most mobos

If it makes a difference I'm actually on XP-

Also what part have you seen, the hanging installer?

Was probably my mistake for not just installing everything manually anyways :p 
November 21, 2008 2:48:05 PM

When you let he installer install everything you just have to let it do everything by itself as it knows what is more appropriate to be installed...

So better take a break and let the auto installer do everything for you...
September 23, 2012 5:37:10 PM

lee-gamer said:
When you let he installer install everything you just have to let it do everything by itself as it knows what is more appropriate to be installed...

So better take a break and let the auto installer do everything for you...

yeah everything but enter your password as it reboots itself 5 times (and counting) ;) 
!