Sign in with
Your question

NTFS 4 gig limit?

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2009 5:24:51 AM

Hey everyone,

I bought a "Toshiba" 1 TB external Hard Drive the other day... And I am using it to store "World of Warcraft" video that I "Fraps." (Record).

Anyway, the drive was originally was formatted as "FAT" .. But I used command prompt and changed it to "NTFS" with this command....

convert E: /FS:NTFS

well.. After doing that it said that it successfully converted the drive to "NTFS"

But even after doing that... I tested recording a huge file with "Fraps" ...

In total it was 9 gigs...

And even after changing the drive to "NTFS" it still cut the files into separate parts...

Which yet again were 4 gigs in size...

If anyone has some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

More about : ntfs gig limit

a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 6:02:08 AM

Are you sure it's not FRAPS purposely doing it?
m
l
December 30, 2009 11:59:26 AM

Its not problem with NTFS, more likely its fraps doing it on its own.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 12:10:18 PM

FRAPS splits video into 4GB segments to work around the limitations of FAT32.
m
l
December 30, 2009 1:18:51 PM

On the other hand, I've already read that volumes converted from Fat32 to Ntfs are less good than native ones.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
December 30, 2009 4:03:50 PM

There are a lot of storage formats that limit the total file size no matter what file system they're on. For example video DVDs require the .VOB files to be no larger than 1GB, even though the DVD file system itself is capable of storing larger files.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 9:45:40 PM

Pointertovoid said:
On the other hand, I've already read that volumes converted from Fat32 to Ntfs are less good than native ones.

I believe this may be true but I can't provide evidence to support it as it's been a long time since I've heard of anyone converting file systems. The best option is to format the drive with a different filesystem. This means you need to backup the data first of course, but it rids you of possible issues with conversions.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 31, 2009 5:27:46 AM

I converted one of my wifes drives awhile ago. Its not that its "less good", but you can run into issues during the conversion. Your supposed to back up any important files just in case. We copied them onto a different drive, but didn't lose any. Never had an issue with it.
m
l
December 31, 2009 3:11:51 PM

its fraps, ntfs (most recent one) has a 16TiB - 64KiB file size limitation (implementation), the architecture can go to 16EiB-1KiB in file size
m
l
!