newbuilder_s2r

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
This is my first system build. Here is the list of what I'm trying to get to work. Overall problem: no video signal.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard

Video card: HIS Hightech H387QS512NP Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ3 Video Card

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB/CE/CSA/UL/FCC

Monitor: Hanns·G HW-223DPB Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

Computer Processor: AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor

Memory X2: GeIL Esoteria 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Computer Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

After assembling all this hardware it came time to turn it on. The fans in the case and the CPU fan all started and the LEDs let up. I have not seen the Bios, all I get on the monitor is " No Video Signal present". I have tried both outputs from the GPU. This is all that the system ever has done.
I have returned the GPU and the MOBO to the vender's and the replacements have not repaired the problem. on advice of gigabyte I have also disconnected every thing but the GPU, CPU, and the CPU fan. This also has been no help.

I hope that all of you can help me out and get my new system up and running.

Thanks
Rick

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Did you remember to plug in the 6-pin PCI-E power connector into the card?

Friend of mine had the same issue and it turns out he just forgot to plug the power connector in.

Need to start with the basics.

Is the video card fully seated? Sometimes they require a bit of force.

Is the power connector attached to the video card?

Did you use the standouts on the motherboard tray? The MB should not be making contact in the back except for where it screws in.

Have you verified the monitor works on another computer?

newbuilder_s2r

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

Yes, the PCIE II plug from the PS is plugged in to the GPU. I don't have any thing plug in to the PCIE 12V connector on the Motherboard?

newbuilder_s2r

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

The answer to your first two questions is yes. The third is yes there are standoffs on the back plate. but there is a slight shock when I tuch the back of the case and the front of the case with my arms. I am going to try to power it up out side the case.

Rick