Sign in with
Your question

Random freeze ups. Occational blue screen.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2008 6:28:52 AM

Hello everyone,

Somewhat new to the forums. Just built myself a new system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition Socket AM2
OCZ SLI 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB)
Asus M2N-SLI nForce 560 Socket AM2 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

Pretty much right after i first powered it on, it would start to freeze at random times. Often, during internet surfing, the entire computer will stall (mouse will still move) for about 5-15 sec. Then, it returns to normal. If i attempt to scroll the mouse wheel when it is frozen, the pc speakers beeps once. Sometimes the blue screen will appear for a second, then the computer automatically shuts down.
I have ran memtest and it observed no errors in my ram. I have also cleaned my registry and updated new drivers for my videocard and wireless card (netgear wg311t).

I have read the motherboard system monitor and got these results:

Vcore voltage - 1.34
3.3V - 3.31
5V - 4.86
12V - 11.96

CPU temp - 40 C
M/B temp - 34C

CPU fan speed - 1569 RPM
Chassis Fan and PWR fan - 1115 and 1059

I have also turned off all the AMD CPU features (virtualization?, cool and quiet, and the other one i forget)

Anyone have any suggestions? I think it has to be hardware or driver issues seeing that I barely have any software on my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Jason

More about : random freeze ups occational blue screen

October 15, 2008 9:15:57 AM

ch1tybang said:
Hello everyone,

Somewhat new to the forums. Just built myself a new system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition Socket AM2
OCZ SLI 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB)
Asus M2N-SLI nForce 560 Socket AM2 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

Pretty much right after i first powered it on, it would start to freeze at random times. Often, during internet surfing, the entire computer will stall (mouse will still move) for about 5-15 sec. Then, it returns to normal. If i attempt to scroll the mouse wheel when it is frozen, the pc speakers beeps once. Sometimes the blue screen will appear for a second, then the computer automatically shuts down.
I have ran memtest and it observed no errors in my ram. I have also cleaned my registry and updated new drivers for my videocard and wireless card (netgear wg311t).

I have read the motherboard system monitor and got these results:

Vcore voltage - 1.34
3.3V - 3.31
5V - 4.86
12V - 11.96

CPU temp - 40 C
M/B temp - 34C

CPU fan speed - 1569 RPM
Chassis Fan and PWR fan - 1115 and 1059

I have also turned off all the AMD CPU features (virtualization?, cool and quiet, and the other one i forget)

Anyone have any suggestions? I think it has to be hardware or driver issues seeing that I barely have any software on my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Jason

Something that is commonly overlooked is SATA II NCQ/TCQ support on the chipset.

Verify what type of hard drive you have. SATA I or II
If your hard drive is SATA II then Verify that your mobo's chipset is compliant.
Systems with Sata I chipsets with SATA II hard drives freeze up. In that case, get a Promise controller.

a b à CPUs
October 15, 2008 11:27:06 AM

Also check your drive cables, I had the same problem that drove me crazy for months, finally figured out the SATA cables I had for whatever reason would not stay plugged in securely to board. New cables fixed my problem.
Related resources
October 15, 2008 2:00:39 PM

so i cheked out what my blue screen says and it tells me that its a problem with my nv4disp driver going into an infinite loop.

Could this be the root of the error or can something from what you guys said above affect the video driver?
October 15, 2008 3:18:39 PM

Dont know what OS, but I know that VISTA and NVIDIA had a huge problem that was fixed in SP1, so if you have VISTA, I would upgrade to SP1 using VGA mode (press F8 about every second after you restart your computer). Also just try going into VGA mode and see if the same thing happens regardless of what OS you are running.
October 15, 2008 4:35:51 PM

It seems to be nvidia driver issue. Try download the newest driver, uninstall older drivers in safe mode, and install new drivers. I've had some problem with beta driver before, but new ones (both graphics and chiset drivers) should be stable.
October 19, 2008 5:17:07 AM

So, an update of the insanity that is my new computer...

I have reseated the video card, reinstalled drivers in safe mode, and updated my chipset drivers.
The issue still remains, but now i know when it is more likely to occur:

-When dragging a screen back and forth for 5sec or so.
-Watching any streaming videos (youtube, hulu)
-And generally when browsing the internet it occurs more often.

I can usually have itunes up playing music with no problem.

Appreciate the suggestions so far, anyone else have similar problems?
October 19, 2008 5:18:50 AM

I am running Windows XP 32-bit
October 19, 2008 5:25:20 AM

That board have the latest bios for it installed? 5400be is a recent processor and might cause problems on older bios's that may not support it properly.

Is the CPU overclocked at all?
October 19, 2008 6:40:09 AM

CPU is not overclocked.
Just installed latest BIOs version.
Checked ASUS website and it seems like my processor version was not supported on my old BIOS (0802). New BIOS (0903) said it was compatible with the processor.
Looks like the problem persists. The freezing occurs again when i drag the window back and forth.

I am going to try and reconnect all the wires in my box tomorrow....see if that does anything for me.
Anyone have any further ideas? This is driving me insane.
a c 130 à CPUs
October 19, 2008 11:05:13 AM

Ahhh the dreaded nv4disp BSoD. I used to get that a lot with nVidia cards. Some reason it just didn't like it.

Have you tried maybe an older version of the drivers? Maybe the new ones are just buggy.
December 10, 2008 10:46:01 PM

i had a problem like that also for a few months and tried all normal things like different ram/slots and underclocking and voltaging with no luck only to find a very very weird solution.

have you tried disabling the power scheme/power management so that everything stays on all the time?

this --ONE SINGLE CHANGE-- stopped all these error messages as soon as i did it.
Error code 10000050,
Error code 00000024,
Error code 1000007f,
Error code 1000008e

Before, it would restart or freeze or lock up or go to blue screen. i had configured windows to write an event to the system log and save a dump file.
!