New to forum and need HELP

lil Flipp

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hey everyone,
im new to the forums and seeking for help and general knowledge. Im 15 and love computers! ANYWAY. I dont know about computers hardware much. but i want to learn and hope this forum will help. Here is my computer specs let me know if it is any good. ALSO im thinking about upgrading my RAM because as you will see i only got 1gb ram (2 512mb sticks i checked) so i need you smart guys and girls to tell me best brand and how much ram i should get, im thinking maybe 3gb depending on price. At the moment i have this brand which i don't know of but all i do know is the symbol is like a M with a circle around it. or as you could say like a halo ring. thanks guys and girls

Windows Vista Home premium

Base processor
Core 2 Duo E4500 (C) DC 2.2 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775
Chipset
Intel 945G
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Leonite2-GL8E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-5300 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive
320 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
7200 rpm

Video Graphics
GeForce 8400GS
256 MB DDR memory
I/O Ports: HDMI, dual-link DVI , S-video
Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio
Realtek ALC 888S chipset
Supports up to 8 audio channels

Use only low latency memory. Corsair, crucial, and kingston are all good. My compaq pc came with samsung, and it performs well. The M on your memory stick may refer to micron, which makes crucial. Look for deals on black friday weekend. You should be able to find about 2 gigs for $20 after rebate; recently, you could get 4 gigs for around $22 after rebate.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Deffinately upgrade to 2 gigs of ram.I also recommend getting the ddr2 800 memory as that is the cpu fsb speed,not the 533 you have.I suggest upgrading the video card to at least a 8600GT as the 8400 is not good for doing much except surfing the net.I also recommend overclocking your cpu to 3ghz,(which is easily attainable on air cooling)for a bigger performance boost.Now the machine being a HP/COMPAC,I also recommend upgrading the PSU as the one in the system is most likely barely adequit for what it is running now.(Proprietary thing you know).Anyways,these are my recommendations.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ (3.2)
4X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
The memory your looking at ebay seems pretty pricey to me.You may want to go to newegg to see what the have (you will need a credit card though). I've bought there a dozen times never a problem. longest delivery 6 days (ordered on a friday).
You may also want to consider going with 6400 memory.

I wouldn't run the 512 sticks with the new sticks unless they both have the same timings (example:4-4-4-12) because it may bring 2X1s down to the speeds of the 512s. thus negating any gains.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Went to the Egg, they had some Mushkin Extreme Performance 5300 there. Model #996521 .Looks like it has good numbers 4-4-4-10 timings.
Has good reviews might want to read some first.
There's a rebate on them.(read it carefully and follow the insructions)
If you go with these run them 2 or 3 days before you send off the rebate though.

Have heard good things about mushkins allthough I've never ran them
(at one time an industry leader).

PS:rated at 1.9v, a nudge a the voltage may or may not be needed

lil Flipp

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

Funny you say that because last night i was on that Egg website. i was considering buying from there yet i live in Australia. Do you know if they post to australia??? Thanks

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I seen 3 regional stores United State, Canada, and China.
Didn't see anything about international orders, but found a customer service toll Free: (800) 390-1119 (allthough I don't know how or if it will work calling from Australia).

Post back to let me know how it went. Should help somebody else in the future, one way or another @ Goodluck

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Looks to me like that should help with vista,I hear it uses a lot of memory resourses. I'm running XP SP2 on an AMD platform, so I don't how much help I can be.

When you go to install your new memory, you want to install one stick at a time.Booting in Vista and running it for a few minutes to make sure it' stable. Maybe play a game or something that will tax it.

lil Flipp

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

Ok awesome. so pretty much i instal 1 gig first. Turn comp on test it out make sure all good and get it working abit. then so on so on for 2gb and 3gb. awesome. i should be buying these soon and once all installed ill let you know how it goes. thanks for your help and everyone. talk soon

lil Flipp

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hey Guys, im back:D well ended up buying 3gb of ram All up and i just installed it today. seems to be running great no problems yet! but i just noticed right this second on the box it says 1gb pc2-6400 cl6 240-pin dimm

noticed the 6400?? cant my computer only handle 5300?!?! eek im scared! what do i do?

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Should be fine. You've got it up and running. Now look around these forums a little, to see how some other intel chips over clock. The new memory will give you more headroom. Don't be afriad to jump into a thread and ask a few questions. (a couple of pionts of view are always better than just 1)