a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2008 9:57:10 PM

Hi everyone,

First off here is my rig:

S939 Athlon 64 x2 4400
3 GB DDR400
Machspeed MSNV-939 Motherboard (crappy)
BFG 9800 GTX+ 512
400 Watt VGA Booster (only supplies power to GPU)
450 Watt power supply

I recently bought a BFG 9800 GTX+ 512 MB and tried installing it. I'm getting the post error 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. The card's fans and led's are on. I returned the first card and got a second and it did the same thing. The card has its own 400 watt power supply so I don't think power is the problem.

The card is PCI Express 2.0, so I am guessing that the board is too crappy and old. Are there any 939 boards that support PCI Express 2.0? I know they are getting hard to find, but I would rather buy a board than replace everything.

Thanks

More about : bfg 9800 gtx video card error post 939 board

August 28, 2008 10:10:42 PM

hah, I remember my old machspeed board on my first build! Upgraded that board to an Asus NF4 board so I could run my 7600GT on pci-e. Made a dramatic difference in everything. Many good times I had with my 2.4 ghz 3700+ clawhammer on socket 754.. good times. Now for the solution! Try reseating the graphics card. Make sure that the card is snuggly in the slot, even if you have to apply a large amount of pressure, just not toooo much.
August 28, 2008 10:27:18 PM

Since everything worked before you put the new card in, the presumptive problem is the card. Try reseating it, as terror112 mentioned, then check the make sure power leads are in correctly, and if it still doesn't work, RMA the card. Unfortunately, bad cards happen. One last thing, check to make sure you didn't pull a wire loose somewhere else in the case while you were working on the card. I've done that myself a couple times.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2008 10:37:03 PM

I have reseated it many times, and this is my second card. I sent Machspeed an email and they said that the card will not work with their motherboard. I am going to go for an Asus A8N32-SLI, I found one pretty cheap. Hopefully it will work with my card. Are there any other boards that will be compatible?
August 28, 2008 11:07:48 PM

Quote:
I have reseated it many times, and this is my second card. I sent Machspeed an email and they said that the card will not work with their motherboard. I am going to go for an Asus A8N32-SLI, I found one pretty cheap. Hopefully it will work with my card. Are there any other boards that will be compatible?

it sounds like the problem is related only to the motherboard, so i think any other one should handle the card just fine. the A8N motherboard seems to be one i hear about alot, and it seems to support just about anything. if you still run into problems, consider getting a different video card.
January 27, 2009 2:32:27 AM

I have the A8N32-SLI, and I have the same problem. Don't get that motherboard. You're going to have to find one with pci-e 2.0 slots or change the entire cpu and motherboard. I'm really upset because I got a PNY 9800gtx oc for only $160, and I might have to take it back now.
January 28, 2010 1:30:13 AM

I wonder if people will run into issues with newer PCIe 2.0 cards and 939 boards. I'm thinking about purchasing a 5670 but I'm not sure about dropping it into my system which features an old Gigabyte K8N Sli board.

I may also have to consider whether the Nvidia chipset would play nice with the AMD card or vice versa.

They say that PCIe 2.0 cards will work in PCIe 1.0 slots, but I'm still a little skeptical.
January 28, 2010 4:11:26 PM

I got an A8n sli deluxe 1.0a PCIe (Socket 939) slot and installed a 5870 and it works screeming fast. I think it might be a bad Nvida card you gots.
March 3, 2010 8:03:55 PM

I know this is a bit late, but I had the same issue with dual XFX 8800 GT XXX 512s in SLI. If you have multiple +12v rails try swapping them. Also, I demo'd my buddies 5750 without power issue.
!