Just finished my first build, having trouble installing windows, help!

loomis22

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
So I just finished my first build and I have had nothing but problems lol. I have everything hooked up and I was able to get into the BIOS and everything just fine. I continued and tried to install Windows XP and it didn't turn out the way I had hoped. Upon trying to install Windows XP I received this message

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Login Process System Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000402 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

If anyone has any idea what could be causing this or what exactly this error means, I would be most appreciative for any information. Thank you.

Motherboard- Biostar TA770 A2+
RAM- 4x2GB OCZ PC2 6400 (Only have 1 stick currently installed)
HDD- Western Digital 500GB SATA II
Video Card- PNY FX 5500 PCI (Temporarily, just until i get a bigger power supply)
PSU- Raidmax 500w
Sound Card- Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Try running a memtest, or you could use the other stick of RAM and see if it installs properly, if it does then you got a bad stick of RAM and will need to RMA the set.

loomis22

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
thanks for all of the tips everyone, the funny thing is that i let it sit for a while and turned it on and it finished the windows xp install just fine. i am going to have to RMA the board again (this will be the second time) because not all of the ram slots work, i tried each stick individually and they all work fine so it has to be the board. I will be upgrading to an EVGA 9600GT video card as soon as my new power supply arrives, the one that came with the case was not good enough for it. cheers all and thanks

I imagine getting 4 x 2 gigs to work on that board would be no easy task. I understand that that's what the boards specs say and all, but my experience is that you have to be very careful with any board and that much memory.
Just because you can get it working with one stick does not mean your BIOS is configured properly to run 4 sticks.

What voltage is it running at? Is this the 8Gb gold kit?

OCZ has a nice support forum and they may be able to help you get it running.