Sign in with
Your question

WD My Book slow sata

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2009 6:17:29 PM

I have a Western Digital My Book 1T drive with e-SATA connection. I partitioned and formatted the drive into two 500 GB NTFS partitions. I then copied 5 disk images of approximately 8GB to the first partition in several minutes. I later transferred about 80 GB to the second partition. All worked well.

I went back and transferred one more 8GB image to partition 1 and it took about 90 minutes. Any ideas on what would cause this?

More about : book slow sata

December 30, 2009 6:34:28 PM

I have a 500gb My Book and it's really slow on the ESATA as well. It has been since it was new. I can't figure out why. It's really frustrating.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 6:38:36 PM

Check your SATA controller in windows device manager and see if its runninng in IDE mode or not. If it's in IDE mode it could have switched from DMA mode to PIO mode for the drive. change it back to DMA if possible. May have to reboot. Also check in bios and see if it comes up ok.
January 9, 2010 4:25:14 PM

It turns out that the JMicron device needed a new driver update that came out late last year. This is all good for Windows XP, but not in the Hiren’s boot disk utilities. The odd thing is that the drive would work well at least once on a new Windows install. Using the Jmicron on this motherboard to install Win7 or Vista takes forever. The BIOS has always been set to Native IDE for the JMicron SATA ports. Live and learn.

The motherboard is a Jetway, one of the few that offered dual PATA ports for legacy drive. Their bios support for the board is almost nonexistent. Although there have bee a couple of recent updates. I do a lot of swapping trouble shooting and OS testing, so I’m always moving drives in and out of the machine.
!