High-efficiency / low-power / SATA-compatible PSU

barguast

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I want to know what the best PSU is for a high-efficiency / low-power system I'm building, which is based on this review. I want it to be highly efficient under low loads, and reliable.

The one used in the review is Fortron FSP-220, but I need an alternative as I can't find any shops in the UK that sells them! I would also like to support two SATA hard drives - as far as I'm aware, The FSP-220 used in the review doesn't appear to support SATA, and yet it is said in the review it used a SATA HDD...!

XAERO

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
oh btw, it does support sata, i know this for certain because i have used it b4 when building a budget desktop for a friend

barguast

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Yes, I can - and I was just about to post asking about it! 4 SATA connectors, and 80+ efficiency sounds good...

... although I still need to finalise my other components, so if someone wants to jump in with another suggestion, go for it. :p

Out of interest, would the EarthWatts PSU be more efficient than the FSP-220 in the review, given the potentially low idle power of the machine (which, hopefully, will be under 50W).

barguast

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Argh, just as I'm about decided, I go and read this - the G45MG, the latest 'Green' motherboard from Foxconn, which together with the GPS300AB PSU supposedly conserves power significantly...

I was going to go with the Foxconn G31 'Green' motherboard, which supposedly has the same '3G' power savings features, but I'm not sure if the new G45MG introduces anything new, or is genuinely more efficient when coupled with the new CPU. Can anyone enlighten me? :)

barguast

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

Actually, I've just realised that neither the Foxconn G31MG-S, or the G45MG seem to be available in the UK. :S

Either that, or I'm just not looking hard enough..?