Sign in with
Your question

One memory stick doesnt work properly.

Last response: in Memory
November 15, 2008 5:47:11 PM

I recently installed 2 x 2GB corsair ddr2 800 Mhz memory into gigabyte MA790DS4H mobo and amd triple core black edition processor.
One of the memory sticks casue the system to freeze as soon as the first bios screen comes up.
is this really a defect and if so, then I will have to send it back to corsair.
anil.
November 15, 2008 6:08:15 PM

Make sure you have the memory fully seated in the slot. If it is then it would look to me that its bad.
a c 97 } Memory
November 15, 2008 6:27:59 PM

Test each stick individually with memtest86+, and then together. Corsair will ask you to do this before approving a RMA anyway. Also test in different slots to eliminate a bad slot as a possibility.
Sometimes, you may have to set the ram voltage explicitly to the specification printed on the sticks.
Related resources
November 16, 2008 5:48:07 AM

Hi, thanks for suggestions. I have gone through the slot routine. Tested in all slots. Tested in a Pentium mobo also. Wouldnt boot up at all on that. Boots to the first screen here, but thereon the machine just freezes. So how do I run memtest on that?
Second question: I purchased from Newegg but am now in India and there is slim chance of getting it back to newegg within the 30 day period...Does Corsair have a worldwide warranty on these sticks? Or will I have to ship them back to US? Shipping costs for Ram are probibitive considering the cost of the RAM initially is so low!
a c 97 } Memory
November 16, 2008 4:41:56 PM

Memtest runs from a floppy or CD on it's own, it does not boot windows, taking a windows issue out of the picture.

November 17, 2008 8:26:13 AM

Yes. that is ok. But it will require a normally booted up machine. Here the machine is hanging on first boot screen with the suspicious ram in.
a c 97 } Memory
November 17, 2008 1:32:15 PM

asinghvi said:
Yes. that is ok. But it will require a normally booted up machine. Here the machine is hanging on first boot screen with the suspicious ram in.

Then you have no choice but to return the RAM which is obviously defective. Corsair will want to replace both sticks to insure that the whole 4gb is identical. That happened to me once, and I got them to replace only one stick, since I otherwise would not have any computer to use while waiting. In my case it worked out OK.

I the meantime, contact newegg, and explain the problem. They are very understanding, and will probably work something out.

!