Sign in with
Your question

Can't format RAID drive after lightning strike

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2009 9:34:33 PM

I had a lightning strike that fried my motherboard. All the other components seem to be working fine. I have replaced the motherboard and everything seems to work.

I have a RAID 1 array with two Western Digital 1TB drives, and the Intel Matrix RAID manager says that one of the drives has failed, and needs to be rebuilt.

When I try to rebuild the drive using the RAID manager, it says that there are system files on the drive, and I can't rebuild it. When I try reformating the drive, Windows XP says I can't reformat it because some of the files are in use by other programs.

I'm thinking I need to manually delete some of the Windows system files; does that sound like something that would work? If so, can anyone comment on which system file(s) to delete?

Thanks in advance.
a b V Motherboard
a c 415 G Storage
December 30, 2009 9:53:24 PM

Sorry, can't help you. But I wanted to point out to any lurkers that this is a classic example of why RAID 1 does not replace backups...
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 30, 2009 10:59:57 PM

If your computer can boot from the BIOS to a floppy or cd, download the WD software for DOS here - or use the WD search for your exact HDD.

-- Install it to the bootable media you will use and leave it there.
-- Shut down the computer.
-- Disconnect the power from your surge protector outlet.
-- Ground yourself and disconnect the SATA data and power cables from the GOOD HDD.
-- Reconnect the power cord.
-- Power-on, enter BIOS (usually using the delete key).
-- Select the drive you just loaded the WD tools on as 1st boot.
-- Save settings, restart, booting to the drive with the WD tools on it.
-- Follow the directions to format the BAD HDD that you left installed on your system.
-- When it's done, power-off, disconnect power cord, ground yourself.
-- Re-attach the GOOD HHD data and power cables.
-- Connect the power cord.
-- Power-on the computer. Enter the BIOS to reset you boot order to the RAID array, and to ensure your RAID array is still showing (It may not show both drives - don't worry about it yet).
-- Let it boot to XP.
-- Open Intel Matrix Manager, add the newly-formatted HDD to the array and re-build the array.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 31, 2009 4:25:10 PM

sminlal said:
Sorry, can't help you. But I wanted to point out to any lurkers that this is a classic example of why RAID 1 does not replace backups...

Although I agree with you, at least in this case it looks like RAID 1 saved the day - 1 drive failed, but the data hasn't been lost due to redundancy. AID 0 would have been screwed though.
m
l
December 31, 2009 11:27:55 PM

LOL maybe the surge killed the controller chip on the hard drive.
m
l
February 25, 2011 7:31:58 AM

delete your sytem files would cause your system to fail to start up
If you don't need the system any more, please wipe or format or other operations under pre-os circumstance
That would work.
m
l
!