Help - comp. acting up!

tommysollen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Since this morning my computer is acting up all weird and I don't know why or how to fix it.

It started 10 minutes into watching a videofile on my computer. The video started to stutter and hack. It got worse and worse until after a few minutes everyting went black but with a pop up window saying "hard error".
I rebooted the computer and the stuttering is still there and I almost can't use the computer at all.

I check the task manager and the cpu and memory is all fine. I can't see the reason for this stuttering. It affects all input too, including the mouse.
It's there no matter what I do, or if I do nothing.

I did a simple disk search for errors but nothing came up.

What can it be?

I've got a 3 year old rig with amd cpu and two samsung drives in a raid 0 config.

I'm very thankful for any help you guys can give.

tommysollen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks!
I've actually been a member here for a long time but I'm no longer using my old email and I had forgotten the password and well... I started a new account.

No, I can't try another video card, I'm afraid.
How could that be the problem?

I'm afraid one of the raid 0 disks is starting to fail. Is that plausible?

tommysollen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I'll post as much specs as I can as soon as I can access my computer again.
It's running a chkdsk right now which by the way seems to have gutten stuck... damnit. 21% into step 2 and not moving...

tommysollen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
That looks interesting. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to use it. I need my computer up and running to burn a disk.

chkdsk failed. Had to reboot and then it couldn't load windows because it was lacking some win root file.
Reboot again and it worked, chkdsk kicked in again. Now passing the previous fail point...

Isn't this exciting? :ouch:

tommysollen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Now chkdsk failed at 18% in step 4.
Can't boot :(

This is the info I could get:

amd athlon 3700+

ddr400 dual channel 2gb

Samsung scsi hd160hj

video is some geforce
motherboard some asus.