Bang for my.... E8500!!!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
whatsup guys. i have an 8500 attached to a 92mm zalman fan. this fan is a beast and on 3.1 ghz stock speed i get about 42-43 degrees celcius on full load. but one thing taht has been on my mind lately is the artic silver 5 that i put on the cpu... see the thing is i put a very light paper coat all around the cpu as was recommended by youtube videos i watched then when i put the fan on my cpu i didnt realize the fan could TURN while being on the cpu itself. i know its kinda weird to understand but if you are looking at it being stationary on the cpu, now imagine it actually moving left and right (basically where it blows air). now this is not due to crap installation on my part its just stupid zalman design flaws. anyway, this kinda worried me because i am hoping that it did not rip off/move the artic silver that i had on the cpu. i cant really tell at this moment cuz the beastly zalman fan is in the way but i REALLY dont want to take tha fan off and redo the silver 5. do u think 42 degrees is decent temps? wait crap i just looked at core temp and im up to 44 degrees. yikes... thoughts?

edit: another thing, i have my zalman blasting at highest rate possible and its noisy as hell but i would do it to cool my cpu down.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
First off, CHILL OUT!
44 is plenty cool. 60 is when you start turning the fan up.
if your heatsink is rotating side to side, then i assume you didn't tighten the screws all the way. MAke sure its tight to the motherboard and turn the fan down to "auto".

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
it is loose but it is rock solid on the cpu if that makes sense. it is in full contact but it can still move which direction the fan blows the air aka how much contact it has with the cpu itself. its not my installation its the zalman design like i said. im just hoping that when i accidentally moved i didnt remove any of the thermal paste i had on there earlier. but i guess if 44 is not too bad i shouldn't be worried... but i dunno i like to keep it under 40 if thats even possible with air. idles at 33 degrees which is pretty nice though. btw: i heard with artic silver 5 you have to wait 200 on hours for it to be in full effect is this true? i heard it can make a 5 degree difference.

one more thing: how would i know that i dont have artic silver 5 proper mounted on my cpu?

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
45 at full load is great and so I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as you're not hitting 65 or more you should be fine. Personally, I would try to keep the core temps at or under about 55-60 when at full load but that is pretty conservative I think.

If you're really trying to get the lowest temperature and want to do some overclocking then you may want to reapply the thermal paste if you think it was not applied correctly. All you'll need is some high percentage isopropyl alcohol (91+), q-tips, and some coffee filters to clean the old paste off. Read this for detailed instructions: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274/4

The best way to apply the grease is using the line method. Directions are at http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

If your Zalman cooler is really loose, then it may need adjusted.

However, if you're getting 44C at 100% CPU usage, you're absolutely wasting your time by freaking out. 44C is the temperature most CPUs sit at while idle (with stock coolers). You are MORE than FINE. :)

If your cooler can keep your CPU at 44C while at 100% usage than you probably have nothing to worry about. It's obviously working quite well, and is making contact with the CPU and Arctic Silver 5 perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS