Sign in with
Your question

Wifi wont turn on.

Last response: in Windows 8
December 26, 2012 7:06:03 AM

Hello, a few days ago I accidently hit the wifi key on my laptop when I ment to hit the prt sc key which of course turned the wifi off. I tried pressing the key again but it doesn't work, all it does is turn on/off the airplane mode. I tried searching other places but couldn't find anything. My computer is a HP ENVY m6 with windows 8.

More about : wifi wont turn

January 7, 2013 6:29:04 AM

"Airplane mode on" means the wifi is active, that's what this mode does, it turns radio transmissions to and from the computer on and off.
Your wifi will work if Airplane mode is on ..... there must be another reason your wifi isn't working.
May 22, 2013 8:09:14 AM

My HP envy m6 just did the same thing. Did you ever figure it out?
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
May 22, 2013 10:58:51 AM

Airplane Mode, when enabled, disables all wireless communications in your system. The Microsoft Support page What’s airplane mode? addresses the new Windows 8 feature. You can also enable and disable specific wireless adapters per the instructions on that page, regardless of the status of Airplane Mode. You can enable and disable a specific adapter from the Settings option in the Charms bar, under Change PC Settings and the Wireless item in the left menu.
June 30, 2013 1:33:09 PM

Creepynazgul said:
Hello, a few days ago I accidently hit the wifi key on my laptop when I ment to hit the prt sc key which of course turned the wifi off. I tried pressing the key again but it doesn't work, all it does is turn on/off the airplane mode. I tried searching other places but couldn't find anything. My computer is a HP ENVY m6 with windows 8.

Go to settings, PC settings, wireless. For some reason the alternating between the two stop work but the airplane mode continues to work.
July 29, 2013 6:29:31 AM

Creepynazgul said:

Hi, I had this problem and solved it. Go to Settings, Change PC Settings, DEVICES, DOWNLOAD OVER METERED CONNECTIONS. Change setting to ON. Reboot. The laptop thinks that every connection is metered, I guess. My Internet is not metered but the laptop thinks it is. Once I turned this off, the wireless worked. It would have helped if this setting was in Wireless instead of Devices!

August 4, 2013 5:44:44 AM

hi ... i was facing the same problem and found a simple solution..

Right Click My Computer, select Properties, click Device Manager, click Network Adapters, right click the Ralink Wi-Fi adapter, click enable..
Then Restart your laptop. You network adapter will be enabled and it would work just fine ...

Hope this helps :) 

September 6, 2013 2:29:39 AM

Neolithic666 said:
hi ... i was facing the same problem and found a simple solution..

Right Click My Computer, select Properties, click Device Manager, click Network Adapters, right click the Ralink Wi-Fi adapter, click enable..
Then Restart your laptop. You network adapter will be enabled and it would work just fine ...

Hope this helps :) 

This solved the problem. Thanks a lot.
November 25, 2013 9:19:13 PM

Creepynazgul said:

diapolical said:
"Airplane mode on" means the wifi is active, that's what this mode does, it turns radio transmissions to and from the computer on and off.
Your wifi will work if Airplane mode is on ..... there must be another reour wifi isn't working.

If you go into your pc settings and click wireless , you can turn on the wireless from there.
!