  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 23, 2004 3:39:17 PM

I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
posting.
Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
it seems).
I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
seem to move along.
Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
Very interesting.
So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
for this game, it seems promising.
But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
exploiting, or cheating in this game?
Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

More about : game fun

July 23, 2004 7:15:48 PM

On 23 Jul 2004 11:39:17 -0700, "Ronaldo Nascimento"
<sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
>forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
>It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
>posting.

The basic game is fun or else I wouldnt even bother. If you look at
the complaints closely you will see that most revolve around actions
of SoE. Most recently the lies concerning Combat revamp.However this
is a big deal, if I were to make any suggestion it would be to wait.

>Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
See above

>The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
>it seems).
>I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
>seem to move along.
>Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
>about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
>Very interesting.
>So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
>for this game, it seems promising.
>But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
>Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
>exploiting, or cheating in this game?
>Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

Problem with the 2 week freebie is that most issues take place at
higher levels. I started seeing this after about a month of play, but
by then of course Ive spent the money for game and sign-up.

Grouping is at best rare. Players are very hesitant to join a group
due to the large number of dimwits that have zero skills and no desire
to learn. In other words get in a LARGE PA if you must group. But
thats ok I dont mind soloing it just gets old sometimes. If you do run
across a good player(s), keep in touch with them by all means.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 9:56:51 PM

"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<cdrm0l$2so@odak26.prod.google.com>...
> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
> posting.
> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
> it seems).
> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
> seem to move along.
> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
> Very interesting.
> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
> for this game, it seems promising.
> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

If you can hang around, I can post a fairly comprehensive report on
Monday ;)

I'm looking for a post from a guy who is on his 14-day trial, it is a
great post.

In short, yes - the game is very fun. There is a lot more to it than
that, which is why I want to wait until Monday to post a full report.

If anybody thinks my opinions are out of whack and not worth waiting
for, let Ronaldo know so he doesn't wait for me =)

- Oalan
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 23, 2004 10:06:15 PM

"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
> posting.
> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
> it seems).
> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
> seem to move along.
> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
> Very interesting.
> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
> for this game, it seems promising.
> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

Im not speaking for anyone else, but I had fun for a whole year out of it.
Well it was mostly fun...the daily annoyances overshadowed the fun at times,
but yeah, I'd say go for it.

Laura

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:43:07 PM

<sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
>forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
>It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
>posting.
>Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
>The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
>it seems).
>I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
>seem to move along.
>Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
>about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
>Very interesting.
>So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
>for this game, it seems promising.
>But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
>Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
>exploiting, or cheating in this game?
>Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

It is plain to see that you have no idea what fun really is. Fun is
spending your hard earned money and buying a reason to complain. You
see.... If you don;t spend any monry on anything you have nothing that
fails to meet your expectations and therefore you have nothing to
complain about. And considering the state of affairs in this country
these days.... anybody without a complaint just plain ain't havin' no
fun!
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 1:56:45 AM

I think it depends on your priorities. If you have lots of time to spare for
this game, it can be fun as there are lots of things to do. But if you are a
couple-hours-a-week guy, you will find very little worthwhile with SWG>

Anthony Giampa; Imperiai2@cox.net
In the year 2000: "...The American bald eagle will be taken off the
protective species list,
not because it's no longer endangered, but because it is a douchebag." --
David Duchovny

"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
> posting.
> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
> it seems).
> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
> seem to move along.
> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
> Very interesting.
> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
> for this game, it seems promising.
> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:28:41 AM

the game is horrible as a lone newb!

it must be hell to be snubbed by most everyone and die by the wierdest
things..lol..

that said ..once you find a good guild or town to live in and friends life
is grand!
once you get past the grinding and get your skills its a blast to actually
play and go on adventures..

i will somtimes just pick a random diewction and just see whats to see..its
fun to hit POIs without seeking them out and hitting them as part of just
exploring.

i make it a habbit to talk to everyone i see and be friendly and my guild
is the same...so a newb has access to info and resources and fun..lol

i am damn glad i got into swg with friends then on my own..

so try to find a few players willing to help and are friendly and know that
you cant judge the game at all the first month or so untill you get past the
grinding and the hours alone killin butterflies...in a good guil;d the
process is shortened to a few weeks instead of months.

hope you stay and play your own way at your own pace and stop to smell the
rendered flowers..lol

KROM

"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
> posting.
> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
> it seems).
> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
> seem to move along.
> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
> Very interesting.
> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
> for this game, it seems promising.
> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 10:33:59 PM

Game?? It's not a Game. It's a way of life. Live it.

In article <cdrm0l$2so@odak26.prod.google.com>, "Ronaldo Nascimento"
<sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
>forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
>It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
>posting.
>Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
>The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
>it seems).
>I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
>seem to move along.
>Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
>about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
>Very interesting.
>So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
>for this game, it seems promising.
>But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
>Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
>exploiting, or cheating in this game?
>Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 12:12:54 AM

Only play this game if you have no one you have a commitment to, OR your
significant other plays the game with you.
It's very addicting, I know someone who has 5 accounts that people have
given them because they had to give up the game.
I just gave mine to my sister.
I went back to FFXI because the game SWG is way too addicting and you can't
play casually :)
If you can, you are a very very strong person as sooooo many people have
become addicted to it due to it's being a life you live on line
:)
Chey ex Cynnamon, Chilastra
Rohama on FFXI cerberus

"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
> posting.
> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
> it seems).
> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
> seem to move along.
> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
> Very interesting.
> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
> for this game, it seems promising.
> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

July 26, 2004 1:22:11 PM

First, don't ever go by what someone else says; some players complain
because of the 5 minute shuttle wait. Some, complain because Ore Mining
Units don't stack. If there's anything I've learned is that players sure
LOVE to complain about one thing or another and just imagine with the large
number of professions, weapons, armor etc....gives them all the more reason
to have something to complain about.

The game began with 200k players and increased to 400k, in one year; That's
pretty good. I'm guessing, some of the older players left because they had
played the game and needed a break after a year some, wanted to wait until
some things were fixed. But, I'm guessing the Jump to Lightspeed Space
Expansion will bring many back as well as bring many new players too.

Unfortunately, when the Holocrons came out - everybody and their dog wanted
to become a Jedi - and players were grinding away at all the professions
just to Master them and not really to play them. Also, during that time,
more players got multiple accounts.

It all depends what you want in a game, how much time you'll devote to your
character, if you're going PvP, PvE, crafting and what profession you'll
work in.

It's been almost a year that I've played the game and I didn't have to
revert to any form of cheating, stealing, exploits. I do have fun in
playing my game and I'm also a Mayor of a Player City and I also help set
new players up with houses, speeder and some cash.

There will always be some who will try to get around the game mechanics,
exploit or cheat no matter what game.....don't forget, this is an online
game with players of all different ages.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the game and SOE and I'm sure there will be
more to come.

"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
> posting.
> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
> it seems).
> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
> seem to move along.
> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
> Very interesting.
> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
> for this game, it seems promising.
> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

July 26, 2004 2:12:35 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:22:11 -0300, "dak" <kpec090981@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>First, don't ever go by what someone else says; some players complain
>because of the 5 minute shuttle wait. Some, complain because Ore Mining
>Units don't stack. If there's anything I've learned is that players sure
>LOVE to complain about one thing or another and just imagine with the large
>number of professions, weapons, armor etc....gives them all the more reason
>to have something to complain about.

Although what you has some truth in it, we are a lot who likes to
complain, there is more than that going on here. We have solid
grievances with the people who run this game. Mostly that thier word
means nothing. This isnt about simple inconvenience, the combat system
and its supporting infrastructure in the game is broken and for some
reason they cant or wont fix it. This dont stop them from making
promices they have no intention of making good.
Would you buy a car that people were complaining that the wheels fall
off?

>The game began with 200k players and increased to 400k, in one year; That's
>pretty good. I'm guessing, some of the older players left because they had
>played the game and needed a break after a year some, wanted to wait until
>some things were fixed. But, I'm guessing the Jump to Lightspeed Space
>Expansion will bring many back as well as bring many new players too.

Somehow I just dont see those kind of numbers. THere may be 400k
"accounts including the freebies" but no way 400k players. Besides
SoE stopped releasing those figures long ago and cannot be verified.
JtL could just as easily wreck the game as save it, already the combat
re-vamp has been pushed back to get JtL out the door. Btw this is
another promice made and not kept, that they would fix combat BEFORE
JtL was released. So far everything has been about Jedis and JtL and
its wearing thin. Besides, and this just baffles me, if SoE ran the
game well there could be 600K real players on swg.

>Unfortunately, when the Holocrons came out - everybody and their dog wanted
>to become a Jedi - and players were grinding away at all the professions
>just to Master them and not really to play them. Also, during that time,
>more players got multiple accounts.
>
>It all depends what you want in a game, how much time you'll devote to your
>character, if you're going PvP, PvE, crafting and what profession you'll
>work in.

Decide which to play, PvE and PvP are such different games that you
almost need one account for each. For example to PvP Combat
Medic/Rifleman is as close to god as it comes, mind poison/shot is a
wicked concept and mind is your most important stat err your only
stat, while in PvE its hard to beat a Swordsman/Carbine and
health/action/mind are all important. Problem is lack of skill points
to do both. Being one who hates getting owned by a twelve year old
with 6 accounts, I quit doing PvP till they fix this mess.

>It's been almost a year that I've played the game and I didn't have to
>revert to any form of cheating, stealing, exploits. I do have fun in
>playing my game and I'm also a Mayor of a Player City and I also help set
>new players up with houses, speeder and some cash.
>
>There will always be some who will try to get around the game mechanics,
>exploit or cheat no matter what game.....don't forget, this is an online
>game with players of all different ages.
>
>Overall, I'm very satisfied with the game and SOE and I'm sure there will be
>more to come.

The game I love, Starwars I love, I want it to work and work well,
Sony otoh I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire...

>"Ronaldo Nascimento" <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have been reading about this game, on Gamespot forums, the SOE
>> forums, USENET, IGN, etc.
>> It seems to me that this game is not fun for a majority of the people
>> posting.
>> Folks complain about PvP, Jedi, trading, etc.
>> The list is almost endless (partly due to the complexity of this MMORPG
>> it seems).
>> I played the demo for a couple of days. Progress is slow, but it does
>> seem to move along.
>> Everytime I reach a new "level", I encounter more tasks I need to learn
>> about to progress, and more necessary player interactions.
>> Very interesting.
>> So I am trying to decide to put down the time and money to really go
>> for this game, it seems promising.
>> But I am hesitant based on all of these horror stories I read about.
>> Is there anyone else out there having fun without stealing, tricking,
>> exploiting, or cheating in this game?
>> Anyone out there having fun by joining or starting groups?

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 9:05:00 PM

Is the game fun? That is such a loaded question, it is hard to know
where to start :)

First, let me link the post I alluded to on Friday (first, the huge
link, then it TinyURL'd):
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board....
or:
http://tinyurl.com/6xdwt

That post has a lot of very valid points (except about the potato
chips - Pringles are very good, but Poore Brothers Cracked Pepper is
heavenly, but I digress). He has been playing for slightly more than a
demo period, and made those observations. I would suggest everybody
read that.

As for fun... what do you like to do? What is your name motivation for
checking out SWG to begin with? Do you want to fight Stormtroopers and
help take down Imperial bases, or do you want to play the part of a
Stormtrooper and erradicate the Rebel scum? Do you want to try to make
the best weapons or armor around and have people travel across the
galaxy just to hit your vendor? Would you rather go and take on some
Rancors and leave the politics and ideals to others?

If you are here because it is Star Wars, you might not like it. Some
things are great, like patrols of stormies running around. Other things
aren't, like spending a lot of time killing cavemen or wild dogs to
advance your character. This game has an unmistakable taint of Fantasy
Genre influence in it. Last night I was waiting for a shuttle in a
starport. Not counting myself, there were four others there. They were
equipped with a sword, a scythe, vibroknucklers and only one had a
pistol. All of them were wearing composite armor. To me, that wasn't
Star Wars, it was something like EQ in space. Another example is the
reward for the Hero of Tatooine quests... a Ring of Resurrection. That
bothered me, but others thought it was great (most of them coming from
other games like EQ though). Seeing an outpost with some stormies, an
AT-ST and a Tiberion Shuttle was simply amazing though =)

Depending on what you want to do and what you call fun, this game may or
may not have it for you. If you enjoy crafting and building things, the
game has a really good crafting system in place. Hunting down the best
resources needed to make specific items can be really fun, but at the
same time, it can be ridiculously tedious. I enjoy running along,
hopping off my bike, scanning for a resource concentration, hopping on
my bike and taking off again. Others find it unnecessarily tedious and
time consuming. I enjoy it because of the exploration - others could
care less about seeing new areas.

If you like interacting with people, there is plenty of opportunity to
do so. They have entirely social professions that you can take up - the
entertainer group. Image Designers whole reason for being is to give
people the look they want (and to change their stats). Musicians and
Dancers help heal the mind, as well as socialize in the Cantinas/Taverns
of the world.

Combat is pretty iffy. Like others have said, PVE and PVP are totally
different, and most professions are more suited for one or the other.
Having a group of friends to go on a hunt can be a blast. Having to
deal with all the people camping areas you want to go to is a complete
drag. If an area is challenging (such as the Squill Caves, Genosean
Cave, Nightsister Caves, Ft. Tusken and Tusken Bunker come to mind),
expect it to be packed with campers 24/7.

Combat is probably the most broken part of the game. Even if you
couldn't care less about PVP, if you engage in any kind of faction
action you can be forced into PVP. If you are in an area that has a
loot drop others want, don't be surprised if a group rushes in to
outdamage you and claim the prize. If you go to fight something like
Nightsisters, get ready to ask why the only damage types a lot of them
are vulnerable/weak against are Kinetic (swords/vibroknucklers) and
Blast (rockets/power hammers) (all the Nightsisters (that I've seen) are
vulnerable to Lightsabers, but that makes sense). Finding a random base
out in the middle of nowhere can be great though :)  If you are around
other people, expect to have a Jedi Ganking Squad show up to get you to
increase their FRS or random Joe Somebody PVP king get you just because
he can.

Personally, I still have fun fighting things - just not as much fun as I
think is really possible.

I have fun, and I do it without stealing, tricking, exploiting or
cheating, as do most of my friends. It is possible.

Grouping can either be fun or frustrating depending on the group. As a
new player, if you don't have any established relationships, it can be
hard to get a good one. If you are with people that you know, know how
they act, and can be expected to do what they need to, groups are
awesome. If you are with people that are polar opposites of yourself,
ugh.

I think you see a lot of vocality because it is a great framework for a
game. It has so much potential, it is awe inspiring. At the same time,
it seems to have no guidance at all. Changes have been made on a whim
with no thought to how it affects everything else. People think that
priorities have been misplaced and aren't happy about it. This game has
incredible potential, but the mismanagement is threatening to drive it
into the ground rather than exploiting that potential.

This concludes yet another long, rambling post. :p
- Oalan
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:00:57 PM

I totally agree with Dak. I really enjoy this game. Everybody has a
different idea of perfection (combat balance, etc) so you'll never please
everyone. Everyone has a different idea of what a fix is and what it
accomplishes. So you'll see a lot of complainers on the forums and
newsgroups. I play the game and don't have the expectation that the game is
perfect but all-in-all it's pretty darn good. The whiners get annoying but I
just filter them out and play the game. When/if I stop enjoying the game,
I'll quit. But I don't have the unrealistic expectation that if there's a
nuance of the game that I don't like, I can go on the boards and cry about
it and the devs will hop to it and fix my complaint. This is a pretty
massive game and addressing patches, etc is an enormous task. So, I work
around real issues and expect that the devs will eventually get to it but
I'm not going to whine about it. A little bit of forbearance goes a long
way. My favorite compaint is "I pay a monthly fee so they should listen to
me....blah, blah, blah". Well so do 400,000 other players. Another common
complaint is "the devs promised to fix XXXXX and they have yet to do it so
they are liars". This goes back to my earlier point aboiut being a huge game
that's ever-changing and constantly growing being a monumental task to
manage. Again, if you really feel that way it's very easy to cancel your
account....hehe.
But personally, I really enjoy the game and exploring the different
professions. Just basic, fun game-play! So do what I did....get the game
(paid $20 at BestBuy) and buy 3 months for $42. A $62 outlay is just a tad
more than a new game sells for and gives me 4 months to enjoy it and I can
always quit in the first 30 days and only be set back $20. If I really like
it I can continue paying. Definitely worth the risk if you like RPGs at
all.

!